Author Topic: Loading Locomotive Photos to HC-2 Controller  (Read 3373 times)

yvesmary

• Fireman
Loading Locomotive Photos to HC-2 Controller
« on: March 11, 2016, 11:32:12 PM »
Photos have to be converted from jpg (in my case) to 24-bit bmp file and 480 pixels by 180 pixels.

RailPro suggests using GIMP software. I downloaded it but cannot find anything about bmp files.

However I was successful in converting my pictures to the required size with Paint, ACDsee and Photoshop Elements although they stretch my FP9 to the length of an SD90. Maybe that`s the problem as you`ll see.

Then going to the RailPro Assistant I click on Pictures in ``Select Here to load files from this computer to Handheld Controller``. The Import Picture page comes up and the next screen shows my file for the picture I want. I click on the file name and get Error Opening BMP File. I get the same error message with the picture I save through Paint or ACDsee or Photoshop Elements.

I contacted Ring Engineering today but haven`t heard back from them yet.

I thought maybe somebody on the forum would have a suggestion for this weekend.

Thanks,
Yves in Ponoka

yvesmary

• Fireman
Re: Loading Locomotive Photos to HC-2 Controller
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 01:25:03 AM »
An Update

Well I finally found out how to do the bmp bit on Gimp and put the picture of the loco on the locomotive page on the HC-2.

BUT

Not only does my FP9 look like a stretch limo which I`m not crazy about but it came out green!! Now what!!

It was red when I saved it (actually exported it) to my appropriate picture folder. I can open it with Paint and it`s still red. I can open it with Photoshop Elements and it`s still red. But with ACDsee there`s no picture, just a black screen for some reason.

But when I open RailPro Assistant and get to the Import Picture page and click on View it`s green.

I didn`t know this could be that complicated.

Yves in Ponoka, Alta

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 07:19:52 AM »
Yves, email your original photo, and your converted photo, to me at billy@pdc.ca and I'll look at it and see if I can figure out what's happening for you.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 03:13:30 PM »
I have posted a tutorial on using MS Paint to resize images for use with RailPro:
http://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php?topic=194.0
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 05:18:30 PM »
Thanks a lot for the tutorial Bill. I need to take pictures of my engines and load them into my HC. I have 11 ready to run so far, and a lot more to do. Your tutorial will remove much frustration from the project. So many engines, so little time.  :o

Joe