Author Topic: CRC-2-26 on tracks  (Read 12470 times)

MtRR75

• Conductor
Re: CRC-2-26 on tracks
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 12:59:25 PM »
There must be some scientific reason why.
weight

And plastic wheels -- unless you have converted to all metal wheels.

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 06:26:14 PM »
As I mentioned earlier I use CRC 2-26 to clean rails, then wiped with a clean cloth. I have been leery of using graphite as it's a lubricant and can be dirty.
So I bought two sticks of 2b graphite for testing. Still unsure about the graphite, I decided to put it on the inside of the rails on curves that are part of a 2% grade. Normally you can see and hear the trains slowing down when entering the curves on the grade. Well, maybe it's my imagination, but the trains did not slow down as much when going up the grade and around the curves. There was a definite improvement.
But, how long will it last? Will I have to reapply every week? Will there be a build up of graphite on the ties?
Still testing...
Dean

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 07:53:48 PM »
The key to using graphite is to use only the tiniest amount. This way it forms a microscopic super conductive coating on the rails. It  should not need to be reapplied often at all, and it should only need to be applied near the spots where you have conductivity issues. Once applied, it will work it's way all over the place as your trains spread it out.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 08:07:37 PM »
When Bill says only the tiniest amount he means it. Your goal is to create graphene on the rails. That is a 1 atom thick layer of graphite.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 12:11:41 PM »
Will the microscopic layer apply itself to the locomotive wheels as well?
Dean

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 12:38:09 PM »
Graphite yes, graphene no.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 03:29:41 PM »
Graphite yes, graphene no.

The wheels are the wrong metal?
Dean

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 08:35:00 PM »
The wheels are the wrong metal?

Graphite on the rails will transfer to the wheels. It will transfer to anything it touches. Graphene on the other hand, is a single atom thick. It will likely stay on the rail. If it does transfer then there will no longer be graphene in that spot on the rail. In practical application it is unlikely you will achieve a graphene layer although that would be ideal. So for all practical purposes yes, it does transfer to the wheels.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website