Author Topic: Grr. My HC-2 is tempermental  (Read 3078 times)

brickmodder

• Fireman
Grr. My HC-2 is tempermental
« on: May 25, 2016, 12:20:03 PM »
I just received my HC-2 a week and a half ago.  Since then I've used it a few times on different days.  I've had on again off again charging issues.  Earlier this week, I had to use the toothpick reset/charging method and it worked fine. After that, I [supposedly] updated the HC-2 software. Yesterday I downloaded some files and sent them to an LM-2S, so I had a pretty eventful day.  I put it on the charger yesterday afternoon to charge. Last night after it was finished charging (Done screen), I took it off charge. It was unresponsive and stuck on charging done.  I did the toothpick method last night and went to bed. This morning is the same issue.  Charging Done screen.  Even when I take it off charge and let it time out (screen off), when I press the on button the same screen comes back up.  Resets, plugging/unplugging, plug charger into power, unplug charger from power all give the same nonresponce.  Has anyone had a similar issue that could give guidance?

KPack

• Conductor
Re: Grr. My HC-2 is tempermental
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 01:54:41 PM »
Sounds like the charging port may have an issue.  I had a HC-1 that had to be sent in for repair for this issue.  The charging port detects when you plug in the charger and turns on the charging screen.  The screen turns off once the plug is removed.  If the port is defective then it will either not turn on the charging screen or not turn it off.  Mine would not come on if I remember right.  Give Ring a call and let him know the issue, he'll have you send it in and will get it back to you quickly.

-Kevin

brickmodder

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 02:29:17 PM »
I believe you're right. Monkeying around with the charging port, I was able to get the screen to come on to the Touch to Continue screen.  Many thanks!

And wouldn't you know it.  I get it working and now the RP servers are down. Just my luck today!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 02:46:15 PM by brickmodder »

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 03:35:33 PM »
If you ever see Ring's server done, make sure to record the date and time and let Tim Ring know.
Every time I have reported this he has said "everything is fine" and if he gets more reports, maybe he will check into it more thoroughly.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

brickmodder

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 05:50:01 PM »
I called him and let him know. He was thankful.

brickmodder

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 07:56:45 PM »
Ok I fixed it. There was a bad solder joint on the charging jack. Simple enough to fix.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 09:00:25 PM »
Problem solved.  And you didn't even have to send it in. Well done!

-Kevin