Author Topic: CI-1 Available for Preorder from PDC.CA  (Read 15271 times)

SD90

• Fireman
Re: CI-1 Available for Preorder from PDC.CA
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 11:09:52 AM »
I can't wait to hear what this will do!
If it will allow you to control the layout from a PC, could it also be used from a smart phone?!

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 06:05:01 PM »
Good news! ...the CI-1's are on their way to me.

Tim still has a few tweaks to make in the software before release, but I should have them ready to go as soon as Tim 'gives the word'.

The CI-1, in it's initial release, will allow RailPro users to control and program accessories and trains from their PC.
Future updates to the PC software will enable PC driven automation.

The super secret features are still a secret, but don't worry, they don't even affect RailPro users.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 06:25:28 PM »
The ability to program modules from a PC will virtually end the fast battery rundown  that we currently experience with programming from the controller. 👍🏻
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 06:51:11 PM »
I'm excited for this!  I'll have one arriving shortly that I will be beta-testing.  It will be so nice to program locos without having to use the controller.  This is going to be a must for every Railpro user!

-Kevin

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 11:49:07 PM »
This is good news however if beta testing is just starting then I suspect several more weeks of waiting  :( At least the hardware will be in Bill's hands ready to go.

I guess I'll have to get a move on and build my new pc (old one died) so I am ready for it.

The super secret is intriguing. I though I might have guessed it but maybe not, seeing as it apparently doesn't affect RailPro users. All I can think of in that case is some sort of RailPro - DCC bridge.

- Tim

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 06:05:12 AM »
The software has been in testing for some time now. The hardware is just going out to some advanced testers for a final sea-trial.

Tim says the hardware should be officially released to purchasers in about a week.

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 10:43:02 AM »
Well that makes a difference. Thanks for clearing that up Bill, though you'll understand if I take RE's time frame with a grain of salt though.

When this thing is finally officially released I'd love to see some pics and a bit of a review of it; unless you've got one to send further away Bill I think I'll be the last here to receive their CI-1.

- Tim

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 10:46:14 AM »
As soon as I get mine in hand I will make a video of its features and operation.  Should be sometime this week.

-Kevin

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2016, 06:30:03 PM »
I can't wait to hear what this will do!
If it will allow you to control the layout from a PC, could it also be used from a smart phone?!
As of now it can be used on Vista, Win7, Win8 and Win10. It's not set up for tablets and phones...yet. But it's awesome!
Al

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2016, 10:31:24 PM »

BUT you should be able to use it from a smart phone using a VNC app to connect to a pc running the emulator.

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2016, 01:14:33 AM »
Hmmm   PC huh !!  So much for us with Apple comp's...

"As of now it can be used on Vista, Win7, Win8 and Win10. It's not set up for tablets and phones...yet. But it's awesome! "

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2016, 06:57:38 AM »
That is very interesting Bill. For those of us who have never heard of VNC, here is a FAQ link:

https://www.realvnc.com/docs/faq/#connectivity
Al

emd_16645

• Conductor
    • Somerset Junction, 1980
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2016, 04:28:36 AM »
So I have to ask, can you use the CI-1 as the only controller, or do you have to have an HC?  I haven't jumped into Railpro yet, mostly due to the costs of the controller.  I'm not saying the cost of the controller is unreasonable, I just can't justify the cost for something that is going to get used maybe once a year (for now).  However, $40 is much more doable.  I'd much rather put the extra $180 towards starting a layout than an HC right now.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980
somersetjunction.blogspot.com

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2016, 06:11:59 AM »
Yes, you can use the CI with the HC simulator Software as your controller without an actual HC present.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 09:31:02 PM »
I have mine and have been messing around with it and testing it.  On my desktop it works great....basically exactly like a HC-2.  The only difference is the speed control....it is controlled by the mouse wheel in the middle, which is not as accurate as the Railpro knob.  Therefore you can't get the speed to move by 0.1%, but rather 1.0% at a time. 

Loading sounds to the simulated controller is much faster.  Downloading from RE still takes a while, but loading from the computer to the sim HC is very quick.  The storage space assigned to it is the same as the HC-2.  It seems like it could be arbitrarily set that way....I don't see a reason why it couldn't be increased to whatever you needed.

The range on the CI-1 is less than the HC but still good.  I can discover, load, and control trains from the desktop which is ~30 ft away through 3 walls.  If you are using the CI-1 to control trains in a large layout room you can use a long USB extension cord to place the CI-1 in a central location that can reach everywhere.  It also works with Railpro repeaters, the same as the HC so if you have Railpro power supplies then the signal is repeated through those.

The only issue I have had is that I can't get the CI-1 and the HC Simulator to recognize each other on my laptop.  Windows 10, USB 3.0.  CI-1 is recognized by the USB and installs fine, as does the separate HC Simulator program.  However the HC program says that no CI-1 is present.  I've reinstalled the drivers on all my USB ports and controllers, as well as uninstalled and reinstalled both the CI-1 and HC Sim many times.  I still can't get them to connect to each other.  I believe it's a Windows or USB problem but I'm having a hard time pinning it down.  Any ideas on another strategy I could try out here?  Once I get the laptop issue resolved I'll make and post a video.

-Kevin