Author Topic: Sound module installation in Kato  (Read 2548 times)

SD90

• Fireman
Sound module installation in Kato
« on: August 23, 2016, 04:33:46 PM »
Has anyone installed a sound module in a Kato C44-9W?
How did the installation go?

KPack

• Conductor
Re: Sound module installation in Kato
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 09:55:04 PM »
Not in a Kato C44-9W, but in a SD40-2 yes.  The Kato board had either a 8 or 9-pin plug on it (don't remember at the moment) so you may be able to plug the module right in.  The light tubes may or may not get in the way though.  If you have to cut a light tube it's not the end of the world...just means you need to wire up a LED to it.  Just more hassle.  But the install should be pretty easy if it has the DCC-ready board.  Check TCS for the correct harness if the board only has a 8-pin plug.

I ended up removing the factory board completely as I didn't like how dim the lights were and I needed more space in the shell.  I hardwired my module in, just like I do on all my installs now.

-Kevin

yvesmary

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 08:41:48 PM »
Kevin,

Do you have any photos or diagrams of how you hard-wire the module in?

Yves in Alberta

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 10:56:28 PM »
I don't have any diagrams unfortunately.  I just match the wires up to what they do (follow the diagram in the RE instructions)....orange and gray to the motor, red and black to the power, browns to the speaker, blue for common (lighting), and white/yellow/green/purple for lights.  Easy, just takes time.

Some examples of how I install are found here:
http://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php?topic=202.0
http://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php?topic=236.0

On nearly all my installs I mount the module right to the top of the motor, then trim all the wires to length, strip and tin the ends of the wires, solder everything, and finally protect the joints with shrink tube.

-Kevin