Author Topic: Sounds on the horizon  (Read 22030 times)

KPack

• Conductor
Re: Sounds on the horizon
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 10:35:14 PM »
Steam has updated light and heavy engine files, along with associated misc engine sounds.  I know Ring has a recording of a Shay, and may have a few others as well.  I don't know as I haven't asked him.  My focus is solely on diesels, specifically modern, so that's what my conversation with him was about.

Bottom line is that sounds will be improving across the board for Railpro users.  Any news of new recordings is good news for Railpro users, even if it doesn't necessarily work for your modeling time period.  That will all come with time.

-Kevin

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 12:22:28 AM »
 Kevin

That is good news as I have various logging steam engines and it seems like Ring is trying to accommodate us steamers with these new sounds. My diesels are of the very early type like S-2 switchers so most any diesels sounds will suffice for me.

Cheers, Darryl

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 01:59:10 PM »
Quick update on new sounds:

I recently followed with Tim regarding the progress on the GEVO beta, and he replied that they are "considering making some big changes to the new sound files", which would delay it and the others a bit longer. 

What these big changes are, I'm not sure.  I'm assuming (and hoping) that is has to do with coding new sound handling, so that the prime movers can rev up and down smoothly through several notches at once.  That would also allow behavior similar to Loksound's Full Throttle feature.  I'm hoping, but we'll see.

-Kevin

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 01:21:40 AM »
I'll take any delay if it means better sound and sound handling. Ring is being left behind in the sound department which isn't good for RailPro. It seems that sound quality and what's available is still one of the major limiting factors for RailPro uptake.

- Tim

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2016, 01:09:10 PM »
Talked to Tim a bit more and got a little more info.  Revving through multiple notches isn't high on the list of changes, because prototypically engineers are taught to only go through one notch at a time.  Some do run thru multiple notches at once, so it may still make it into the updates.  He didn't say what exactly the changes were going to be.

Talking to some engineers I got the same information.  What I don't know is if this restriction is due to modern regulations or not.  Was running up through multiple notches more common in older times?

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2016, 01:23:55 PM »
Talked to Tim a bit more and got a little more info.  Revving through multiple notches isn't high on the list of changes, because prototypically engineers are taught to only go through one notch at a time.  Some do run thru multiple notches at once, so it may still make it into the updates.  He didn't say what exactly the changes were going to be.

This is very concerning to me. Both in replicating Coasting, and in keeping the sound smooth during user 'error'.
Even if "you're not supposed to run through multiple notches" there is no question that it sounds like running smoothly up from Notch 2 to Notch 8 - and you should be able to replicate that with the controller without so much effort.

If you Can't Do this...

...then your sound is crap compared to todays benchmark.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2016, 10:02:12 PM »
I find it a little more than just concerning. Smooth transition from any notch to any other notch, no matter how far apart they are is integral to realism. If I can't have realism then what am I buying sound modules for? The video Bill posted shows how it's done in the real world quite well. I know I have a video somewhere that shows notching (as part of a cab ride) as well. I'll have to try and find it.

- Tim

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2016, 12:43:00 AM »
The more that Tim hears about our concerns, the more likely he is to address them.  I don't think he realizes how much smooth notch transitions would benefit both us and Railpro.

-Kevin

emd_16645

• Conductor
    • Somerset Junction, 1980
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 05:31:13 AM »
A cool feature that Railpro could incorporate would be to operate the train solely by throttle notches.  Basically utilize the motor load data with 8 load levels making speed independent of the throttle settings.  Would make operating a whole lot more realistic. 
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980
somersetjunction.blogspot.com

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 12:10:43 PM »
in my email from Tim Ring today...

Hi Bill,

We definitely plan to fix the skipped notch problem.  We are looking into straight to 8.  Our newer sound files like our new gevo is very significantly better than our current sounds. Further we are working on a new sound feature that no other supplier has.  So we are working toward being a leader in sounds.

Tim
Ring Engineering Inc.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2016, 01:02:44 PM »
In addition to what Bill posted, I also received a reply today for the question "what are you planning to do":

We are no disclosing any info at this time because
1) We are not sure at this point
and
2) We may patent the idea.

I have no idea what they have in mind, but it sounds intriguing.  I will be patiently waiting.

-Kevin

Pilar Valley Railway

• Fireman
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2017, 05:11:09 PM »
Hi Kevin, How you doing? It's been a long time since I have talked with you.

Have you heard anything more on new sounds from Tim? While them EMD and GE sounds are going to be great, I really need some Alco 244 and 251-12 and 251-16 sounds. The Alco sounds are really lagging behind with RailPro.
Kenny

Pilar Valley Railway

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2017, 05:36:02 PM »
I've been asking Tim for the Alco 244 for years, so he's aware of it.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2017, 07:06:13 PM »
Kenny - One of our members submitted recordings for the Alco 12-251 and 16-251 (with air starter).  These recordings are from the same place the new GEVO sound file came from, so they should be excellent.  These are recorded from actual locomotives though I am not sure if the Alco's were under load or not.

Getting new prime movers out takes a while.  And I'm sure it's not easy for Tim to try and figure out which prime movers to work on first.  He has modern guys like me, steam fans, and transition-era people that are all clamoring for sounds for their era.  And the work that goes into a prime mover file is pretty substantial.  If you have tried to do a good loop for a horn sound file, you know how frustrating and time consuming that can be.  Now do that for all 8 notches and have everything be seamless so there are no auditory artifacts. 

I'm glad that Ring is doing the prime mover editing themselves, though I wouldn't be opposed to them farming out some of it to Railpro fans who have a knack for audio editing.  I'm sure there are a few of us who have the appropriate skills and who would be more than happy to help with editing if it gets the files out faster.  Anyone want to volunteer?

-Kevin

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 08:36:03 PM »
Anyone want to volunteer?

I'll throw my hat in the ring. I am very comfortable with Adobe Audition.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro