Author Topic: Sounds on the horizon  (Read 22036 times)

KPack

• Conductor
Re: Sounds on the horizon
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2017, 09:36:59 PM »
Hopefully there will be a few Alco sounds in the upcoming release.

There is, haven't tried it yet myself as I don't have any Alco's.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2017, 09:57:26 PM »
Kevin,

I've been meaning to ask, though we know that the new sounds coming are awesome, what's the response (quality) like from sugar cube speakers. I'm likely to get some more sugar cubes soon.

- Tim

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2017, 10:06:53 PM »
Kevin,

I've been meaning to ask, though we know that the new sounds coming are awesome, what's the response (quality) like from sugar cube speakers. I'm likely to get some more sugar cubes soon.

- Tim

As good as ever, from what I can tell.  The new sounds are really on a completely different level from what we've seen from Ring before.  And on a higher level than DCC offerings as far as sound quality goes. They are really nice.

The sugar cubes, especially in pairs or quads, sound about as good as you can get.  The ability of put dual sugar cube speakers in a locomotive (one in front and one in back) localizes the sound right where it needs to be and makes it much fuller than a single speaker.  All my old locomotives that have a single traditional speaker will eventually be updated to sugar cubes.

-Kevin

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2017, 06:18:45 PM »

It's been almost a year since Kevin first put this up. Anybody heard about any more (or updated) sounds? I've got several SD70s, CSX seems to like them here in Florida, and the current EMD 710 sound file kind of tones down at about 50% throttle. At 100% the compressor and pop-off is louder than the turbine. I set it up to manually notch to see if it's just my hearing getting older, but that ain't it.

Just wondering,
PatP

Pat a few weeks ago I provided Ring with the engine you need for the SD70/75 EMD 16-710G3C. I hope he does release it separately and not think this 710 is like a 16-710G3C-T2/T3 (SD70M-2 etc)

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2017, 06:33:05 PM »
Bruce, there is a new 710 file (not the 710G3C-T2) that I assume is the recording you provided of the 710G3C.  I haven't downloaded it yet to test it.  If it's anything like the 710G3C-T2 then it will be awesome.

-Kevin

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2017, 08:14:55 AM »
Kevin, I haven't tried it yet either. That 710 is for the SD/GP60. I thought the raw files of it sounded pretty darn good. I think it would be better if Tim actually put the exact engine model next to the file, i.e., 16-645E3. I'm hoping to hear back from the LS&I soon on going up and recording their U30Cs. This will fill a big hole in the pre 1980s 7FDL engine without the exhaust silencer.

Bruce

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2017, 08:43:52 AM »
I think it would be better if Tim actually put the exact engine model next to the file, i.e., 16-645E3.

This is something we should probably bring up with Tim Ring. It would be very helpful. Perhaps previously (current available sounds) he was not aware of the exact engine models of the sounds he had but if he's been made aware of the engine model number when the awesome new sounds were submitted there isn't a reason for him not to, except perhaps that no one has told him that he should because it'd be really helpful.

- Tim

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2017, 09:15:37 AM »
there isn't a reason for him not to,

Yes and no. It potentially invites rivet counting myopia. While in and of itself that is not a bad thing, it could spur a wave of requests that would further complicate Tim's life.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2017, 09:16:00 AM »
I think it would be better if Tim actually put the exact engine model next to the file, i.e., 16-645E3.

I was thinking the same thing and had already crafted an email suggesting this.
It wouldn't hurt for Tim to hear this suggestion from a few people.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2017, 09:20:02 AM »
It potentially invites rivet counting myopia.

True, But Ring has expressed a desire to become a player in the high end sound game and naming his files accurately now will signal that intention and keep his catalog better organized from the get-go.

If Ring wants people to choose RailPro, not only because it's easier to use, but also because it's sound offerings are top of the line, then those sound files need to underscore that Ring is serious about accurate sound in every way possible.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2017, 10:31:23 AM »
Yes and no. It potentially invites rivet counting myopia. While in and of itself that is not a bad thing, it could spur a wave of requests that would further complicate Tim's life.

I can see where Alan's coming from, with engine sounds having to be created by RE themselves.  I can see perhaps some requests for correct sounds for various locomotives but I can't see rivet counting myopia being a result. There is an answer to the potential problem of Tim Rings life being "complicated" by requests but I don't think we'll ever see it happen.

With listing the engine model number, it could even go this way which might help if an exact model number is not known. Simply list the full or basic engine model (if full is not known) and the locomotive type the recording came from, such as GE 7FDL-16 C44-9W or EMD 16-645 Turbo SD40 or EMD 16-645 GP38-2 or EMD 6-645E G6B (yes, I need that last one). I think you get the idea.

- Tim

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2017, 11:17:52 AM »
Tim,

Do you mean an EMD 8-645E G6B? I guess this was in the SW1000?

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2017, 09:24:03 PM »
Hi Bruce,

No it's definitely a 6-645E that I need, along with a 6-567C.  G6B is the locomotive model number.

There's not one to be found in the US, the 6-645 was only ever used down here. http://victorianrailways.net/motive%20power/ydie/ydie.html

- Tim

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2017, 09:11:44 PM »
True, But Ring has expressed a desire to become a player in the high end sound game...

I do wonder how burning that desire is now.  Does he want to be a game changer? A leader? Just in the same ballpark? I sent an email to RE last week on the naming of files and finally got a reply. RE are more than happy to just use generic names when they only have one recording of a particular type of prime mover. If they get more versions of type of primer mover they get more specific in the naming. People are also welcome to ask what the prime mover is and RE will tell them.

The email was closed off with this. "The reality is that the majority of our customers are not that interested in that level of detail." Well RE, if you want to be at the top end of the sound game they will be!

- Tim

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2017, 09:19:17 PM »
The email was closed off with this. "The reality is that the majority of our customers are not that interested in that level of detail." Well RE, if you want to be at the top end of the sound game they will be!
- Tim

He would do well to heed this business axiom - The road to mediocrity is paved with percentages and averages.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro