Author Topic: Track plan  (Read 3733 times)

Antoine L.

• Engineer
Track plan
« on: January 13, 2017, 08:41:39 AM »
Hi

Here is a picture of the track plan I came up with. Since this is an important step for my next layout I would greatly appreciate any feedback about it. It is in a corner of my basement, I have access all around except at the top left corner. The dotted track runs 4 inches lower. I don't want any reversing polarity device. Railpro psu will probably be up at 7 feet high screwed facing down for it to act as a repeater.

Thanks

Antoine
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:49:08 AM by William Brillinger »
Modeling a mix of CN / Wisconsin central on a 12x15 freelance area.

Dean

• Conductor
Re: Track plan
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 12:52:26 PM »
I believe that the loop in the upper right corner is a reversing loop. You will need a polarity reverser of some sort.
Dean

Antoine L.

• Engineer
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 01:34:41 PM »
No haha, the loop has a grade down and goes under the the layout for hidden continous run.

:)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 01:51:51 PM by Antoine L. »

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 06:15:15 PM »
You may need more than 4" above that hidden track section. Not much room to get your hands in there. Is that software Anyrail?
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 08:23:43 PM »
In an 11' x 19' room it won't matter one bit where you place the RP PSU. The controller easily has enough broadcast range for a room much larger. So, place your PSU such that it minimizes the length of wire run.

Move the yard inside the turnback towards the front of the layout. Reach will be a problem as it is currently drawn. Add a switching lead so you don't foul the main while doing yard work.

Your sidings are approximately 3' long. They should be as long as your "standard design" train. 3' is a short train.

Industry in upper left won't work at all. Again, reach problem.

You have a nice space to work with. Perhaps browse some of the layout designs here: http://www.layoutvision.com/gallery/

There is a guy on MRR forum designing a layout in about the same size space as you have. Might be worth following his thread: http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/11/t/260185.aspx
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

Antoine L.

• Engineer
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 08:11:43 AM »
Thank you very much for your incredible feedback, I'll get back to work!

(plan was made with Xtrackcad)

Antoine

Antoine L.

• Engineer
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 08:39:38 AM »
Come ot think of it, I think what makes sidings short is the fact I have long hidden track that requires a 2% grade down and up again. I think I may design something with no grade at all so all tracks are on same level and maybe use a wall between scenes.

I'll make adjustments and show you all what I come up with.

Antoine