Author Topic: I'm back - FINALLY !  (Read 2433 times)

Josephbw

• Conductor
I'm back - FINALLY !
« on: January 14, 2017, 12:24:39 PM »
After the phone line and the corresponding internet connection went belly up just before Christmas (and several times before), I finally got fed up and tossed CenturyLink to the curb. Yesterday they installed another satellite dish and now I have Hughesnet as my internet and phone provider. It's not perfect, but at least it's available. In the middle of all that, my confuser took a dump so now I'm tasked with the job of trying to transfer all the junk we had on th old confuser to the new one. OH JOY!

I told my wife, if I could find a way back machine, I would go back to 1950 in a heartbeat.  ;)

But then again I would miss all this fun, so maybe I'll stick around for a while yet. ;D

Joe

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: I'm back - FINALLY !
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 02:02:00 PM »
Yeah, it's worth sticking around. I like old times too, mostly for the simplicity, but no denying modern times has some cool perks. Not so sure I want to turn my model railroading back to 1950 style. Diggin' the RP hi-techie.

Glad to hear you are getting your digital life restored. It is a PIA to bring a new unit up to standard operation. Been through it a few times, most recently this Christmas. I got a new confuser too!

For the enjoyment of our geek members (self incl.), check out these specs:

2) Xeon E5-2670 8C processors
64Gb EEC RAM, support for 384Gb
Radeon RX480
565Gb SSD Boot
2) 3Tb 10K HDDs
1) 1Tb 7.5K HDD
Windows 10 Professional

Used Sandy Bridge Xeons are selling for stupid cheap with so many server refreshes going on. $99 a pair on eBay. I couldn't resist the temptation to build a kick-butt box for cheap. You can never have too many cores is my mantra! My server masquerading as a desktop PC:

new_comp.jpg
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 10:00:08 PM by Alan »
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
Re: I'm back - FINALLY !
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 06:12:08 PM »
Welcome back Joe! Yes, moving files and programs from one to another can get annoying, but there at programs that do a fairly good job of it. Microsoft has its own file transfer program, which I used two years ago when I had to replace my eleven year old PC.

Alan, I thought I had a pretty fast computer until I looked at the stats on yours.  ;)
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.