Author Topic: Software download issues  (Read 3171 times)

Josephbw

• Conductor
Software download issues
« on: February 04, 2017, 03:18:08 PM »
I finally have time to download some software for my CI-1. I got on the RP site and attempted to download the CI-1 software, and it got as far as trying to load "widgets.shopifyapps.com" and locked up my new computer. BTW it's a Dell Inspiron w/ win 10. The only way I could get out of the hangup was to use the on button. I re-booted, got back to the page and tried again to download the CI-1 program, and this time Norton said that RailproHC simulatorinstaller is not safe and has been removed.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?  :(

Joe

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Software download issues
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 04:21:22 PM »
Joseph, 

If the link to the software goes anywhere other than "http://ringengineering.com/Software/RailProHcSimulatorInstaller.exe" then I suspect your PC may have a malware issue.

Shopify should not be involved.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 04:35:19 PM »
Bill's right. Something odd going on. Be careful what you click on or install until you get this sorted out.

Interestingly, when I first downloaded RailPro Assistant, my virus software (Avast) flagged the download as unsafe. I double checked my actions and finally decided to give RP the benefit of the doubt. I temporarily disabled Avast and completed the download. It installed without issue and did not bring along with it anything naughty. Avast has no problem with RP Assistant running. I filed a exception report with Avast and also notified Tim Ring.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 05:57:02 PM »
I downloaded the new 3.00 release version of RPA tonight. It was blocked by my firewall in Win10. I had to allow it to come through on a one time basis. I have had this happen before with other Ring software.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Josephbw

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 09:42:42 PM »
Joseph, 

If the link to the software goes anywhere other than "http://ringengineering.com/Software/RailProHcSimulatorInstaller.exe" then I suspect your PC may have a malware issue.

Bill it started out with ringengineering, then went to something else, then to the widget thing and that's where all progress stopped. The second time I tried it, the download took place, but norton wasn't happy about something in the program, and snatched it from my grasp.

I'll try it again tomorrow and tell norton to allow it and see what happens.

Thanks guys, Joe

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 11:11:42 PM »

Shopify is involved with every page of Ring's website, it's what controls the shopping cart on his website. Most will probably see Ring's pages contact widgets.shopifyapps.com when the page loads. That being said, the link to the downloadable file on the webpage should not invoke any contact with Shopify.

Going by Joe's first description the lockup sounds like shopifyapps.com merely was not responding, though why that would cause a lockup is anybodies guess these days.

As for Norton, well the less said the better I say.

- Tim

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 08:12:48 AM »
Tim, our resident super sleuth nailed it.

shopify.png
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro