Author Topic: Problem with RailPro Assistant Upgrade  (Read 20034 times)

alco_diesel

• Fireman
Re: Problem with RailPro Assistant Upgrade
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 09:08:05 PM »
Hi,

I am having a similar problem as described here.  I am trying to install RailPro Assistant and am getting an error message "Could not copy files from Ring Engineering".  I also cannot download the file.  I am on an Apple running a virtual Windows 10 desktop using Parallels and I have the HC-2b connected.  I am using Internet Explorer and the revision that pops up is 2.00 on the installer.  I have cleared cache and searched for anything with Ring in the name.  Got a lot of sound files but no Ring Engineering.  I get the same Installer Screen with both products.  Any more ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,

Jeff

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 10.01.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 10.01.34 PM.png

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 10:50:54 PM »
Jeff,

Are you using a wireless connection at all? It seems wireless connections seem to give this issue for many people. If your running wireless try again with the computer plugged directly into your router with a network cable. Another thing to check is if the installer can access the internet through your firewall (computer and routers).

Another method if we can't figure out what's going on for you is the RailPro Assistant package is located here on RPUG as well in the files section:

https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,265.msg2840.html#msg2840

Instructions are given on installing the package stored here. No one has done it yet so I can't say if I worked out all the installation correctly.

- Tim

alco_diesel

• Fireman
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 06:20:59 PM »
People,

Thanks for the suggestions.  Just tried a wired connection with all (Windows, iMac, Router) Firewalls and Virus software turned off.  Still no luck.  I'm going to try the Offline install.  I have an older MacBook that I could convert to Windows if I can find my Windows disk.  Will keep you informed.

- Jeff

alco_diesel

• Fireman
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 08:06:59 PM »
Folks,

Got it to work!!  Tim, thanks for pointer to the manual install.  It took some work to ensure the batch file ran as an Admin.  I couldn't just right click and Run as Admin.  I had to get some code from Stack Overflow on the web to add to the batch file to get it to run as admin.  Just double click the batch file and it now runs as admin.  I believe that Windows7 added super duper restrictions to writing to System files and that security has continued into Windows10.  I have attached the batch file I used.  Where else should it go?

Thanks again for all the effort.

- Jeff

*RPA3OfflineInstaller_admin.bat

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 09:53:36 PM »
Glad you got it to work Jeff, and thanks for your contribution on getting the batch file to run as admin properly.

Ive incorporated your modified batch file into the files section with the other RPA 3 files for manual installation and updated the installation instructions. I've also given you a credit in the batch file as well for your contribution to it.

- Tim

alco_diesel

• Fireman
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 06:11:28 PM »
Thank you Tim. 

I'm still having the same issue when I want to get files from Ring.  I get 'Error - No response from Internet server."  I am not sure what else I can do.  I loaded WindowsXP Pro on a MacBook and am going to try to connect with that. I'll keep the group informed.

- Jeff

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 07:11:55 PM »
Try installing the newest RPA, it was uploaded to Rings site today and uses a new server.

You should have version 3.10 as of tonight.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

alco_diesel

• Fireman
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 07:42:19 PM »
Bill,

Still the same issue even though I have turned off the firewalls and answered yes to all the Windows Security questions.  Oh, and my MacBook and Windows are like oil and water.  They are not working well together.  I'll bring a laptop from work with native Windows loaded and try that.  But, even if that works, it's not a viable solution.  is it possible to get an iP address from Ring that I can ping and determine where my blockage is?  Network, not plumbing blockage.

Thanks everyone.

- Jeff

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2017, 09:22:50 PM »
I loaded WindowsXP Pro on a MacBook and am going to try to connect with that. I'll keep the group informed.

Jeff, to use RailPro Assistant on XP you'll need the patched file to make it work, RPA no longer natively works on XP.

RailPro Assistant v3.10 XP patched file: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,265.msg3035.html#msg3035

A copy of the RailPro Assistant v3.00 XP patched file is a few posts up from the 3.10 post.

RailPro Assistant server IP addresses.

v3.00: 76.202.97.122 (soon to be taken down)

v3.10: 99.110.149.169

If you find something pertinent in determining why RailPro Assistant cannot connect to it's server, please let us know for our knowledge base.

- Tim

alco_diesel

• Fireman
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2017, 04:50:09 AM »
Tim,

Thanks for the addresses.  The new one works as I can ping from the virtual Windows10 install.  The older one cannot be reached.  However, I still cant get the app to find the server.  My XP problem between the MacBook and the XP install is the MacBook cannot find any network to connect to.  Wired or wireless.  No can do.  So, today I am going to try the native Windows machine.  Will keep ya'all informed.

- Jeff

alco_diesel

• Fireman
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 07:26:38 AM »
Folks,

Tried at work with a native windows7 laptop hard wired to network. Same result. Can't get files from server. Am I the only one having this issue?  I have nothing left to try.

Thanks,

-Jeff

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 08:44:24 AM »
Jeff,

We'll solve this; or go crazy trying  :)

Just to help me work out where we are at, we'll go through a few things.

1. You are running RailPro Assistant v3.10 (including the correct XP patched version for the XP install) on all the machines you've tried?

2. You copied all the files, including ftdi2xx.dll and cdm2600.exe when you performed the offline install?

3. You have created a Ring Engineering account in RailPro Assistant using the setup button in the lower right hand corner of the RPA window?

4. When you run RPA, it says "Connected" at the top of the RPA window?

rpa_ internet_connected.png

5. With the HC plugged in (or HC Simulator running), RPA says USB "Connected" on the right hand side of the RPA window?

rpa_ hc_connected.png

- Tim

alco_diesel

• Fireman
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2017, 09:13:53 AM »
Tim,

I'm at work now and haven't tried the manual install. At home, I have it installed on a Virtual Windows 10 using an iMac and Parallels. I never got the xp running.

When the app opens, I do not get a network connection but I do get a connection to the controller. I have created a user name.

That's where I stand at the moment. Will have to wait till I get home for more trouble shooting. PM me with a phone number if that will make it easier.

Thanks you for all your effort.

- Jeff

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 10:47:57 AM »
I'm afraid talking to me on the phone won't do much good, unless you like paying super long distance phone charges and waking people up in the middle of the night  ;). Without actually knowing where you are I'm still pretty safe in betting that I'm on the other side of the world to you.

If it gets protected enough we can possibly set up a browser based live chat at a suitable time, I've done this before to help a member here step by step but we'll cross that bridge if it comes to that.

Back to the problem, I've been doing some research and I'm starting to think the issue could be on the Mac side. Is it just RPA that cannot see the internet in the Win10 virtual machine or is other companies software affected as well?

I don't know much about Mac's but a couple of things to check are below.

Which networking mode is used for the Virtual machine. http://kb.parallels.com/4948.

Is DHCP enabled in Parallels? It may need to be enabled for the type of network connection (I don't know but it's something to check).
-> Open the Preferences panel in Parallels. Then navigate: Advanced (tab)>Network: Change Settings> Shared (tab)>Check Enable IPv4 DHCP

Parallels Tools may need to be re-installed. http://kb.parallels.com/en/8865

If you have installed anything from Adobe in Win10, Check for "Bonjour Services". http://kb.parallels.com/en/112528

Which firewall & antivirus software are you using on the Mac and in the Win10 virtual machine?

I really do want to solve this one; I'd hate to see someone not being able to use RailPro to the fullest.

- Tim

alco_diesel

• Fireman
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 06:23:48 PM »
Tim,

Very helpful info.  Thanks for the research.  Everything prior to RailPro worked fine with the Parallels default setup so I never investigated the setup.  With your help and links provided, I basically cut the umbilical cord cord between Windows and OSx and created 2 separate networks (Parallels calls it Bridged) and completely removed all the common software connects between OSx and Windows.  Wahooo!!!!!! All better now.  I might go back and reconnect the SW because copying files between the OSs is much easier, but the network will stay 'bridged'.  I can now use all the features of RailPro.

Thank you for all your effort.

- Jeff

PS.  I'm in Florida, USA.