Author Topic: New GEVO prime mover file  (Read 4646 times)

Archive

• Conductor
New GEVO prime mover file
« on: October 09, 2015, 10:28:27 PM »
Originally posted by kpack05 on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Aug 31, 2015

Hi guys,

I just tested a new GEVO prime mover file for Tim, and all I can say is "wow".  This one was recorded by a Railpro user on a single ES44 pulling quite a bit of tonnage through all 8 notches, and including startup and shutdown.  It is quite possibly the best recording of an ES44 I have ever heard.

I believe there still needs to be some tweaking done, and Railpro Assistant will need to be updated in order for the file to be downloaded.  As it stands right now it is too big for the file size limit for RPA.  A simple update will take care of that.  It is much larger than previous prime movers, but the quality of the sound is well worth it.

Hopefully it becomes available to all soon.  I just wanted to keep everyone updated on it.  And I also want to show what can be done with user-recorded sounds.  Those who have the ability and access to create good recordings can make a huge difference in the quality and quantity of sounds for Railpro.

-Kevin

Archive

• Conductor
Re: New GEVO prime mover file
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 10:28:38 PM »
Originally posted by picturemaker22 on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Aug 31, 2015

That's great news Kevin, this new file is just the beginning, a few more and RailPro will be the best system on the market. In my opinion, it already is. If you look at all the improvements in just the last two years, it is amazing how far RailPro has come. The folks at Ring are not just satisfied at what they already have, but are striving to make this system even better. "The sky's the limit" with this technology, so much more can be done.

Cheers
Mel

Archive

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 10:28:47 PM »
Originally posted by jacob.damron on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Sep 7, 2015

That's awesome! What kind of sound recording equipment would be required? I have access to GP7/9/10 and GP38's. I asked a buddy at BNSF but they're restricted from doing such. I'd be willing to help if I can to add to the sound files.

Jacob
Ft. Worth

Archive

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 10:28:55 PM »
Originally posted by William Brillinger on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Sep 7, 2015

Jason at Rapido uses a Tascam portable recorder. I remember seeing it strapped tot he roof in a video somewhere.

I have a tascam iM2 mic for my iPhone and a fur wind muffler for it, and that should be quite adequate.

- Bill

Archive

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 10:29:09 PM »
Originally posted by kpack05 on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Sep 7, 2015

Jacob,

I'm glad you have access to get some recordings!  I for one would love a great recording of a GP7/9....I have one planned to build right now, just gathering parts. 

Tascam makes a great recorder and should be adequate for what we need.  I had a Tascam DR-04 but it was stolen along with a bunch of other stuff.  I still have my mic though, a Sennheiser e815s.  I never could find any opportunities to record so I'm debating getting another Tascam or not.

Watch this video as a guide to getting good recordings:

As noted in the video it sould be handy to get a shock mount and extension pole in order to isolate the mic from vibration and to place it near the exhaust.  A wind sock(dead cat type) is a must.  All these things can be found on Amazon for decent prices.

If you're able you can get a much better recording by recording the locomotive under load (hence the video of Jason from Rapido taping the recorder on the roof of the locomotive).  You'll need to get all 8 notches with all transitions, startup and shutdown.  Also get the compressor, air blasts, and any other sounds a locomotive may make.  Bonus if you can get the engine spooling from notch 1 all the way up to notch 8.

-Kevin

Archive

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 10:29:32 PM »
Originally posted by kpack05 on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Sep 15, 2015

I made a rather crappy video recording of the new prime mover file.  I lost my video camera and my recorder when we were recently robbed, so I was only able to use my cell phone to take the video.  As such the colors are off and the sound is sub-par at best.  You can't hear in the video many of the subtle tones in the actual prime mover file.  If I had my recorder you would.

Anyways, here it is.  I run through all 8 notches up and down, including startup and shutdown.  The horn at the end is mine, and I have uploaded it to the file section on this group.  Notice the turbo whine on the two upper notches, and how it hangs when the prime mover is throttled down....nice!  I feel the idle/notch 1 is a little overpowering compared to the others.  The air let offs and compressor are the old ones and those need to be replaced.  Tim says he has a great recording now of a GE compressor that he will use. 

This video is for group members only at this point as the file is still in beta.  When it is fully completed I will hopefully make a much nicer video that be available to all.

Railpro GE GEVO-12 revision 2 beta

-Kevin

Archive

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 10:29:45 PM »
Originally posted by Laurence Weiler on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Sep 15, 2015

Sounds great so far Kevin!  Any idea on a time frame when it'll be available?  I guess I need to get some more modern locos, 90% of my fleet is the EMD 645E3.  I wish that prime mover was as good as the GE sounds Ring is coming up with.  If they came up with something as good as the ESU, TCS or Soundtraxx EMD prime movers I'd be ditching DCC altogether.  In either case, it's great seeing so much improvement in the sounds of the prime movers!!! 

Laurence

Archive

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 10:29:54 PM »
Originally posted by kpack05 on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Sep 15, 2015

Bill - I'm using a set of four "sugar cube" or tablet speaker in series-parallel.  Three in the back and one in the front.  The volume is set down around 30-40%.  The clipping is still there if you run through the notches quickly.  That is more a software issue than anything else, so a recording problem.  Tim will need to roll out a new LM-2S revision in order to correct it.  It would be great if he could make it so the transitions blended together when revving up through multiple notches rather than hearing distinct transitions at every notch.

Laurence - I think pretty much any modeler that isn't in the steam or transition era could benefit from a good 645E3 recording.  I will definitely need it myself.  Tim said that he does have some good sources for several different prime movers, though he didn't say which ones (and I'm assuming he does not have the recordings yet).  I told him that the 645E3 should probably be a priority.  If we get a good recording along the lines of this GEVO one we have then I think we'll all be satisfied.

By the way, the GEVO file apparently was recorded while the loco (only one locomotive on the train) pulled a very heavy train, and never got over 25 mph so wind was not an issue.  I think the prime mover sounds different when it is actually under load, rather than just stationary running through the notches.

-Kevin