Author Topic: Consisting question.  (Read 1928 times)

Dean

• Conductor
Consisting question.
« on: March 18, 2017, 02:04:44 PM »
Almost all my consist have an 'A' unit at both ends of the consist. One is selected as the lead and the other is set to run in reverse as compared to the rest of the engines. When selected to run forward the lead engine runs forward and the headlight comes on. When selected to run in reverse, the lead engine's head light turns off but the trailing engine - which now is running forward - the headlight does not come on.
Am I missing something?

Dean
Dean

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
Re: Consisting question.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 02:24:51 PM »
When in a consist, the lighting on all locomotives is independent. If an engine is running in the forward direction, and you have the headlight button on for that engine, it should light. Two things to check are: Make sure you have the headlight button on for the follower, and make sure it works when not in a consist. If it doesn't, then the bulb is probably blown or there is a bad wiring connection. If it does work when not in a consist, then I wouldn't have an answer.  :-\
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 04:40:19 PM »
Al is right, the lights are independently controlled on each locomotive in the consist.  When changing the leader on a consist, you'll need to turn the headlight on from the new leader as you would on a real train.  When a locomotive or consist switches directions in the real world the rear light doesn't come on automatically....the crew needs to do that.  I believe the whole "automatic directional lighting" thing was an invention of DCC.  Railpro has an option for that (for individual locomotives) but I have mine turned "off" on all my locomotives.

-Kevin

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 06:42:39 PM »
Automatic directional lighting is indeed just a modeling thing. On real railroads Rule 17 (5.9) governs headlights. I am with Kevin. My lights are set for manual operation.

5.9.1 Dimming Headlight
Except when the engine is approaching and passing over a public crossing at grade, dim the headlight during any of the following conditions:

1. At stations and yards where switching is being done.
2. When the engine is stopped close behind another train.
3. In non-signaled territory, when the engine is stopped on the main track waiting for an approaching train.
4. When approaching and passing the head end and rear end of a train on the adjacent track.
5. At other times to permit passing of hand signals or when the safety of employees requires.

5.9.2 Headlight Off
Turn the headlight off under either of the following conditions:

1. When the train is stopped in the clear of the main track to meet a train. However, an extinguished headlight does not indicate to an opposing train that a train is clear of the main track.
2. Within block system limits, when the train is stopped on the main track to meet a train approaching on the same track.

5.9.3 Headlight Failure
If the headlight on the train fails, ditch lights must be on, when so equipped. Headlight failure must be reported to the train dispatcher.
At night, if headlight and ditch lights fail to operate and no other unit can be used as the lead unit, continue movement with a white light displayed on the lead unit. Stop the train before each public crossing, so a crew member on the ground can provide warning until the crossing is occupied, unless:
Crossing gates are in the fully lowered position. or No traffic is approaching or stopped at the crossing.

5.9.4 Displaying Headlights Front and Rear
When engines are moving, crew members must turn on the headlight to the front and rear, but may dim or extinguish it on the end coupled to cars.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 08:18:01 PM »
I believe the whole "automatic directional lighting" thing was an invention of DCC.

Automatic directional lighting was an invention of the toy market, way before DCC; DCC just blindly followed it and made it difficult to have individual control in the same locomotive to say nothing of individual control in a consist. Thanks to RE for making this easy and prototypical as well.

Dean, I would keep your models on individual lighting control, it will allow you greater flexibility for prototypical operation, If you have to reverse and need the rear headlight you can easily select the rear loco and control the headlight and the train from there.

- Tim