Author Topic: Low cost locomotive control module?  (Read 3679 times)

rch

• Fireman
Low cost locomotive control module?
« on: March 18, 2017, 09:15:44 PM »
Any chance the cost of the basic locomotive control module will come down from ~$60? I am interested in Rail Pro, but I have way too many locomotives to convert. At $60 each, realistically it's not going to happen and I'll continue to live with crappy DCC.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Low cost locomotive control module?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 09:27:11 PM »
Shameless plug:

I have LM-3's (non sound) modules on my website for $46.96 US each including shipping.
If you're looking for a bulk buy, I can offer an additional discount.

http://pdc.ca/rr/catalog/product/railpro-and-accessories/51

Feel free to contact me off-list to discuss some options at billy@pdc.ca
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

rch

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 10:18:29 PM »
That's a good start, William. I appreciate the plug, shameless or not.

I am hoping for something that can compete with $20 NCE decoders, though. I realize it's a lot to ask of Ring Engineering to discount the modules so much, and it's not likely to happen unless they get blown out on clearance.

Given the low probability of that happening, as time wears on (and as certain Rail Pro users rub off on me), I think I'll find your offer more and more generous. It's just a lot of locomotives...

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 10:24:08 PM »
RCH - Glad to see you here!  Like Bill mentioned, the non-sound version of the Railpro modules are priced lower and can be useful for converting larger fleets. 

However, if you're like me, I prefer to have sound in all my locomotives....for me it's part of the whole modeling thing.  I go to great lengths to replicate details and weathering, and I try to do the same with sound as far as I'm able.  The sound-equipped modules are more expensive.

There are other Railpro users in the same boat as you.  Lots of locos and don't want to change them all over.  My answer to that is don't worry about changing all of them.  Pick a few that you typically run in consists (since that's where you'll really see Railpro's benefits) and convert those.  Continue with DCC in the others and change them over as you feel you need to.  There's no reason to change all of them at once, and you may even find a healthy balance between Railpro-equipped locos and DCC-equipped locos and leave it there.  I'll be honest though, once you start operating with Railpro you'll find yourself using DCC less and less.  That's what happened to me.  Any of my locos that had DCC ended up sitting in the box until I got around to switching them over. 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....in my opinion the only thing DCC really has going for it is the sound.  Everything else is like slitting your wrists and doing push-ups in salt water.  I'll take Railpro's ease of operation and fun any day, even if Railpro's sound is not yet up to current DCC standards.

-Kevin

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 12:01:32 AM »
Howdee

Most likely many others waited like I did but not for long as RP had my interest to have lots of fun insteading of CV coding every time I turned around. I had many engines to convert but I considered the options and I now really enjoy the hobby even more than before. The cost to me was how to justify dumping DCC but I figured I would recoup something by peddling the MRC wireless complete system and many decoders plus all the other DCC items. I should start to list them again on eBay one of these days as I did list some but had to pull the listings for the move south to Arid-zona.

As an aside, the club members were using DCC on the N gauge layout last Wednesday night and having trouble with dirty track. I watched for a short while when they were doing the CV thing and kind of chuckled to myself as to the time to get a couple engines to run.

We have a dual HO track power layout too as some like DC and a few like DCC. Me? Just turn on either power and goooo.

Happy training as what ever turns your crank is good. Darryl  8)

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 11:19:27 PM »
RCH:
I also have a lot of locomotives that I would like to convert to RailPro. So I converted some my permanent consist. This is where RailPro really shines. As I can I will convert more locomotives as I can. And running RailPro and DCC at the same time on the same layout is no problem at all.
If you check this thread, you can see how I interfaced the RailPro controller to some NCE switch controllers so that they could controlled from DCC and RailPro.

https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,261.0.html

Dean
Dean

rch

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 12:11:00 AM »
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm working on a unit coal set and I think the load sharing would help with operating it. That may be the best place to start.

MtRR75

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 08:43:31 AM »
I'm working on a unit coal set and I think the load sharing would help with operating it. That may be the best place to start.

I agree with this recommendation.  I started RailPro with a unit coal train.  I prefer using a pusher rather than double heading.  I have done both, but the pusher is more prototypical for my railroad.  I watched the couplers as the train went by, and I could see that the first 2/3 of the train was being pulled and the last third was being pushed.  Cool.