Author Topic: LM module and speaker install questions  (Read 3069 times)

Archive

• Conductor
LM module and speaker install questions
« on: October 10, 2015, 06:39:23 AM »
Originally posted by barryjack46 on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Oct 2, 2015

Hi all. I am considering buying a RailPro system. Actually I am going to this month or next. I have a line on a used F3AB Proto 1000 set in my road for a good price. Erie Lackawanna stuff is kinda hard to find. Both units have a DCC decoder installed. I have linked the TCS installation page for the A unit, the B unit is basically the same but I'll link it as well.
 How complicated would it be to install a LM-2 or LMS-2 module (and speaker) in both. Could I just plug the LM into the existing light board? The original DC light board? Into the 8 pin with no light board? Thanks.

TCS LL8 Decoder Installation for HO-Scale Life-Like Proto 1000 F3A DCC Ready
http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Life_Like/Proto_1000_F3A_DCC_Ready/Proto_1000_F3A_DCC_Ready.html

Also; I have an Athearn HO SD45-2. Can anyone recommend the best RailPro compatible speaker I should use? Here is a blowup Of the SD. Thanks again.

*Athearn+SD45-2+parts+blow+up.pdf

Archive

• Conductor
Re: LM module and speaker install questions
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 06:39:34 AM »
Originally posted by kpack05 on the RailPro Users Yahoo! Group on Oct 2, 2015

Looking at the install for the LifeLike E8, it doesn't look like you will just be able to plug the LM-2S into the existing board.  The light board has 8 pins sticking up with then go into a small 8-pin board where all the wires connect.  There is nowhere to plug in a normal 8-pin harness.  TCS made a decoder specifically to address this wierd design, which shows that there isn't an easy way aroud it.

The best thing to do would be to take out all the factory electronics and hardwire in a LM-2S.  It would be the cleanest way to do it, but is a bit of a hassle to connect all the wires.  It would leave you with plenty of space for some very nice speakers though.

As far as the speaker for the SD45 goes, it looks like it will be a 28mm round.  I'm not positive on this without seeing one but that's the size that has been in other Athearn locos like the 70ACe and ES44.  The best speaker for this application is the Railmaster Hobbies DS28RND-8.  http://www.railmasterhobbies.com/Speakers.htm.

Hope that helps!

-Kevin