Author Topic: What can I do with Rail Pro ?  (Read 1911 times)

martrain

• Fireman
  • Marty Hess
What can I do with Rail Pro ?
« on: July 28, 2017, 04:14:13 AM »
It's been 35 yrs since my last layout and Rail Pro will be my system.  The 17' x 9" track plan includes three main line ovals each with about 40 feet of track, plus passing sidings  and a yard.   Line #1 contains two reverse loops and are connected for either eastbound  or westbound travel.   Line #2 and Line #3 are combined as a two lap oval or can run separately as two individual ovals.  All three lines will be connected. 

Will Rail Pro allow me to 1) run two trains on the same track in different directions and 2) use passing tracks to avoid the eventual head on collision and 3) using the reverse loop,  change direction and have one train now follow the train it just passed.

What about electrical blocks?  How often? How many?  I remember wiring for DC but have very limited guidance for wiring Rail Pro.  I plan on using PECO insulfrog turnouts and AR1's for the reverse loops.  Also have started reading www.lkorailroad.com.

Thanks for the help

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 04:27:55 AM by martrain »
Marty

HO Scale B&O and NS after a 30 year break

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: What can I do with Rail Pro ?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 06:58:40 AM »
Dear "Martrain"

Welcome back to model railroading!! I think RailPro is an excellent choice.

Will Rail Pro allow me to
1) run two trains on the same track in different directions and

Yes, In fact many more trains on the same track in multiple direction all independent of each other. Just like DCC, but without many of the headaches.

2) use passing tracks to avoid the eventual head on collision and

Yes, but if you are asking about automating the use of the passing track so you don't have to monitor the trains on the line, then you'll need to look for some additional tools to detect the traffic and that is not part of RailPro.

3) using the reverse loop,  change direction and have one train now follow the train it just passed.

The AR-1 will control the polarity of the loop for you.

What about electrical blocks?  How often? How many?  I remember wiring for DC but have very limited guidance for wiring Rail Pro. 

My model railroad is 380+ feet of track. It's currently all one block as far as power distribution is concerned. I have plans to split it into 2 sections, but that has not been necessary for me. The main 2 reasons to split the railroad into blocks (power districts) is: 1, to shield other trains from shorts and operator errors on other parts of a large railroad, and 2, power distribution to allow more trains to run on a railroad than 1 power supply can handle. The PWR-56 is good for 10 to 15 locomotives in motion at one time, so unless you're running rally large consists, you're probably ok with 1 power supply. for the layout you describe.

One important thing to remember is to not rely on track joiners for power transmission. Regardless of the number of blocks, you'll want to supply power to every piece of track. If you're considering soldering track together, I suggest only soldering flex track on curves to keep the curves smooth. Everything else should be free to expand and contract.

I plan on using PECO insulfrog turnouts and AR1's for the reverse loops.

I use PECO insulfrogs too. I love PECO turnouts, but be sure to read the instructions about using insulators on the tail end of the turnouts.

Also have started reading www.lkorailroad.com.

That's a great resource!
If you're not familiar with Model Railroad Hobbyist, its forums and free eMag are a great resource too.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 07:39:06 AM »
What about electrical blocks?  How often? How many?

Adding to what Bill said, blocks are needed for signaling if you plan to have it. Your signaling arrangement and control point locations will dictate block boundaries.

I plan on using PECO insulfrog turnouts and AR1's for the reverse loops.

I exclusively use Walthers Shinohara trackwork so I may not be accurate here but I believe the Peco insulfrog is a dead frog. I highly discourage any rail be unpowered including frogs. Deliberately building in the possibility of stalls and stutters is not a good idea.

Also have started reading www.lkorailroad.com.

Great! If you have any questions please ask.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 08:14:46 AM by Alan »
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 07:46:16 AM »
I may not be accurate here but I believe the Peco insulfrog is a dead frog.

Alan is correct, the insulfrog is a dead frog, although the dead spots are very small.

Here is a nice overview of Peco Insulfrog and Electrofrog turnouts: http://www.pls-layouts.co.uk/html/frog_types.htm
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

martrain

• Fireman
  • Marty Hess
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 11:07:49 PM »
Thanks to all
Marty

HO Scale B&O and NS after a 30 year break