Author Topic: Cell phone speakers  (Read 4537 times)

darryl.trains

• Conductor
Cell phone speakers
« on: August 06, 2017, 04:47:53 PM »
 I had pretty good luck using cell phone speakers and I know they are not the greatest for sound but the two things come to mind, my hearing is not the best anyway and these speakers are cheap. And where do you get these speakers might you ask? Most everyone knows of eBay search, cell phone speakers from China but why go there when our resident host has them?
Oh ya ! I'll have to get some of these as I forgot when I made my last order. DAH,  blame it on old senior's moment !!!!  Baby I need help, PLEASE...

Now back to having phun.  The old fardt in Arid-Zona

PatP

• Engineer
Re: Cell phone speakers
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 10:13:51 PM »
I had pretty good luck using cell phone speakers and I know they are not the greatest for sound but the two things come to mind, my hearing is not the best anyway and these speakers are cheap.

So you can get pretty good volume from them? Right now I've got about $100 in speakers with more different types coming. So far I ain't happy with the sound. I don't want loud but, everything has my sound setting on 100% to hear it 15' away, and I got 20-20 hearing.

PatP

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 10:37:59 PM »
PatP   Sure cheap enough to try at $6 for a lot of four from Bill and you might see something there to add to the order?  Darryl    8)

PatP

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 10:48:20 PM »
Thanks Darryl. I've ordered a pack to see (or hear). PatP

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 08:20:34 AM »
everything has my sound setting on 100% to hear it 15' away, and I got 20-20 hearing.

Wow 100%?, on my layout I try to keep all the sound under 30% to keep from being overwhelmed.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 03:07:49 PM »
everything has my sound setting on 100% to hear it 15' away, and I got 20-20 hearing.

Can the sound waves get out? Shell have sufficient openings? Fan grilles, brake grids, etc.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

PatP

• Engineer
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 03:58:55 PM »
Can the sound waves get out? Shell have sufficient openings? Fan grilles, brake grids, etc.

Yup. They are the same volume with or without the shell. I've tried singles, dual in series and dual in parallel. Put 'em in speaker boxes and left them plain. The duals in parallel are the loudest, but also have the most rattle. This is a matched pair of Athearn Genesis SD70Ms that were DCC without sound. The DCC card unplugged and an LM-3S plugged into the light board. New speakers should be here this week and, if they don't get me volume I'll pull the light boards and hard wire the pigtail for the LM-3Ss. That's probably not it, temperatures and voltages are within range, but it eliminates another variable.

I don't really care for the noise, but I love the rumble of a big block.

PatP

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 06:05:55 PM »
Too bad McIntosh doesn't make an HO version. 1200 watts would recreate that big block rumble  :P

mc12KW_1.png
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

PatP

• Engineer
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 10:07:46 PM »
Too bad McIntosh doesn't make an HO version. 1200 watts would recreate that big block rumble  :P

I saw a schematic for an amp that might fit in a shell and run off of rail power... maybe.... alas, it tis the speakers. The pair of little 15.8 x 25mm at 100% can be drowned out by a single 28mm Uxcell at 50%, and the sound is much clearer (mama said it sounds like a real engine). The neat thing is the flanges fit the screw holes in the frame socket on the SD70Ms. I've got an Atlas GP40-2 with the same speaker socket in the frame but, they probably won't fit much else. I'm looking forward to trying the iphone speakers from Bill when they get here.

Thanks for the tip Darryl.

PatP

gcarter1945

• Fireman
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 08:16:35 PM »
I've installed iPhone speakers from Bill in six locomotives and am quite pleased with quality and volume of sounds. Installed in Athearn Genesis F3, Stewart Hobbies F3, Proto 1K F3, Proto 2K GP9.  Try it, you'll like it.
Too soon old, too late smart.

PatP

• Engineer
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 08:05:06 AM »
I've installed iPhone speakers from Bill in six locomotives and am quite pleased with quality and volume of sounds. Installed in Athearn Genesis F3, Stewart Hobbies F3, Proto 1K F3, Proto 2K GP9.  Try it, you'll like it.

That's good to hear. Bill had sent mine right away, so I've had them for a month now. I've got a Proto2000 SD60 I had started switching over and have an iPhone speaker in it. Now I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Thanks,
PatP