Author Topic: New install issues  (Read 16549 times)

Blueleader

• Fireman
New install issues
« on: September 09, 2017, 01:02:19 PM »
Just opened up and connected a new 56 power supply and tested the short protection which worked as described. But when I try to detect it with the new HC it won't detect. It is powered with green light on. I also cannot get the HC to detect a newly installed lm3s in a dc ready 9 pin Athearn genesis SD75m. Help 😎

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: New install issues
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 01:08:14 PM »
Let's start at the beginning...
When you say "detect", are you are using the "find product" screen?

- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Blueleader

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 01:39:40 PM »
Yes, following the instructions. It just says no product...

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 01:42:52 PM »
Is the HC also new?
Is it an HC2 or HC2B ?  (b has a blue label on the the front)
Is this your first throttle?
Have you updated the HC program yet?

I'm wondering if the HC may have a bad radio.

Do you have the CI-1? Have you tried it?

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Blueleader

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 01:50:36 PM »
I do have a new cl1 I can try on my old laptop. The HC is brand new. Tried to update while connected to PC via usb with rp assist but could not get anything to happen. I am very computer savy and build my own high performance pc's and can code as well so the PC side I know well. When I get home I will look at model.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 02:00:17 PM »
Let us know how the CI-1 works out.

Sounds to me like your HC has issues.
A call to Ring on Monday should have a replacement on it's way to you fairly quickly.

Blueleader

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 02:21:14 PM »
Will do and thanks for the help. BTW the HC is black on front so I guess it is the HC2. I bought all the RP gear from Trainworld.com. It is usually my luck to get a bad device brand new. Even UPS delivered the package to the wrong house yesterday.

Let us know how the CI-1 works out.

Sounds to me like your HC has issues.
A call to Ring on Monday should have a replacement on it's way to you fairly quickly.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 02:30:48 PM »
HC-2:

HC2 Label.JPG

HC-2B:

HC2B Label.JPG

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 04:34:30 PM »
Just opened up and connected a new 56 power supply and tested the short protection which worked as described. But when I try to detect it with the new HC it won't detect. It is powered with green light on. I also cannot get the HC to detect a newly installed lm3s in a dc ready 9 pin Athearn genesis SD75m. Help 😎

Is this your first HC? If not, can another HC find the PS or LM? Will the new HC find any of your installed modules?
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 04:41:06 PM »
It's certainly possible that the HC can be having issues, but the likelihood of it would be slim.  It's very rare for any of Ring's hardware to have problems.  Software yes, but the hardware has been pretty bulletproof up to this point.

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 04:48:23 PM »
It's very rare for any of Ring's hardware to have problems.

True, but it does happen.
Another member recently had a bad screen. Ring took care of it quickly for him.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 04:52:20 PM »
Ring took care of it quickly for him.

Absolutely.  In the rare case that there is a problem Ring takes care of his customers.  Best customer service I've seen.

-Kevin

Blueleader

• Fireman
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 05:10:16 PM »
I used the cl1 and everything worked as it should except no matter how many times I saved, when I turned off the program and back on it lost all programming. So the HC-2 is bad. And all I had hooked up was the speaker, with other wires individually electrical taped over and all sounds were working well for 15 minutes...BUT then the temp warning came on and the damn LM3S literally melted down the outer case before I could get it off the track. The speaker is 8 ohms so no problem there and I double checked all wiring and it was all in place and no grounding anywhere. I have run this same diesel loco several times with no issues before. I put the DC plug back in and ran the loco again with DC power with no issues, especially no overheating of any kind. This has been a nightmare!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 05:11:57 PM by Blueleader »

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 05:13:41 PM »
As far as I am aware, no decoder of any sort should be run without a motor load on it.

If the HC-Sim is not keeping it's settings, that is a sign of a permissions issue in the install.
Maybe Tim (the other Tim) will chime in here with instructions.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 05:20:39 PM by William Brillinger »

Blueleader

• Fireman
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 05:27:15 PM »
Maybe I wasn't clear. The decoder was plugged into the dcc ready 9 pin plug and I had set the maximum voltage for the loco using the test feature. I just didn't run it instead just worked with sounds because the shell was off. The only loose wires were the ones for lights.

As far as I am aware, no decoder of any sort should be run without a motor load on it.

If the HC-Sim is not keeping it's settings, that is a sign of a permissions issue in the install.
Maybe Tim (the other Tim) will chime in here with instructions.