Author Topic: Loading the new sound ULT files  (Read 1783 times)

Morebassman

• Fireman
Loading the new sound ULT files
« on: October 07, 2017, 11:10:14 PM »
Do I Have to delete the old sound files on my LM-3s Modules before I load the new UTL files or will it overwrite them?

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: Loading the new sound ULT files
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 11:47:54 PM »
Short answer: It will not overwrite them. They are completely separate sound files.

Long answer: If an old file on your LM has exactly the same file name as the new file, and I do mean exactly, down to the last letter it will be overwritten. If the old file is not named exactly the same as the new file you'll end up with both the old file and the new file stored on the LM (assuming there is enough free memory on the LM for both the old and new files to be stored on the LM at the same time).

Since your talking prime mover sounds if you have the EMD 645 Turbo on the LM and you want the EMD 645 Turbo ULT the old one will not be overwritten, you'll have to delete the old one yourself.

You can delete the old sound file before copying the new sound file or you can delete the old one after copying the new file  It doesn't particularly matter which way around you do it.

- Tim

Morebassman

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 12:06:55 AM »
Thanks! That was the answer I looking for!
I wasn't for sure but I thought they would be seperate files.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 12:18:26 AM »
To clarify what Tim wrote, you certainly can delete old files after loading new files, but you will find that deleting takes much longer when you other files "stacked" on top of the files you are trying to delete.  It's much faster to delete what you want to delete, then load what you want to load. 

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 05:54:38 AM »
you will find that deleting takes much longer when you other files "stacked" on top of the files you are trying to delete.  It's much faster to delete what you want to delete, then load what you want to load. 

Kevin is correct. It can be much faster this way. I like to put the prime mover file on the LM first and then load all the other sounds after it so it is faster to tinker with the smaller files later. If I'm changing a Prime mover file, I will often remove all the sounds on the LM and then reload it again with the prim mover first.

Additionally with the larger ULT files, removing the old file first will ensure you have the most space available for the new file.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.