Author Topic: Capacitors, keep-a-live etc.  (Read 5097 times)

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
Re: Capacitors, keep-a-live etc.
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 07:53:08 PM »
Being an operator almost exclusively on Free-mo layouts the keep alive tech has been a godsend. Tim needs to make whatever he’s going to make and get it to market ASAP.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

MtRR75

• Conductor
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 08:49:40 PM »
Bill, I get the 'other people's layout' part. Caps make perfect sense in that case. And if your power finds it way onto other layouts frequently then by all means cap'em all.
But I respectfully disagree about life on your own layout, sound or not.
I am just trying to encourage people to spend the time taking every possible precaution outside the locomotive before they start stuffing a solution inside the loco. Quality trackwork, a wire to a frog, and a cloth across the track works for every loco on your layout, cap or no cap.

Alan,

You make some good arguments.  But As I see it, the most important reason for Ring Engineering to produce a keepalive that is compatible with RailPro is to increase their sales of RailPro products.  If Ring Engineering makes Railpro a trouble-free experience for both those of us who have live frogs and clean track, and those of us who have dead frogs and dirty track, they will sell more products.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 09:02:09 PM »

Alan,

You make some good arguments.  But As I see it, the most important reason for Ring Engineering to produce a keepalive that is compatible with RailPro is to increase their sales of RailPro products.  If Ring Engineering makes Railpro a trouble-free experience for both those of us who have live frogs and clean track, and those of us who have dead frogs and dirty track, they will sell more products.

I totally agree. An excellent user experience is what every company should strive to provide. My comments are more directed to the readers of this forum in the hope it saves them some heartache down the road.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 09:04:12 PM »
Add me to the cap group. I have found that the sound, especially prime mover sound makes a world of difference when it comes to stalling and power interruptions. When the sound is off, everything runs around perfectly, but when it's on, it will depend upon the locomotive. My track is about as clean as it can possibly be and I still run a track cleaner around every so often, but my Atlas snap switches have plastic frogs, so no chance to wire them up as far as I know. So far, I have installed just a couple of KAs and they do make quite a difference. I don't know what Tim is thinking as far as implementing caps, but it can't come too soon for me.

I admire Alan's layout electronics, but for most of us, the expertise just isn't there.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.