Author Topic: Train with DPU on end  (Read 4190 times)

hirailer

• Engineer
Train with DPU on end
« on: October 14, 2015, 04:57:13 PM »

Up and down the helix with the DPU placed on the end of the train. Ran flawlessly.

Mel
Having more fun with RailPro

KPack

• Conductor
Re: Train with DPU on end
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 05:31:33 PM »
Thanks for taking this video.  It's impressive that you are able to back down the helix and go up without any issues.  It's definitely a little more jerky when the consist is in reverse (usually is) but silky smooth when pulling forward.  Nicely done.

-Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 05:49:58 PM »
Impressive is right!

I noticed that there is one spot where the wheels look like they want to lift, is there a burr on the rail there?
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

LW93Rcode

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 06:15:01 PM »
Very nice! Nice to know it'll work smoothly in that arrangement.  I have one loco (Bachmann GP 38-2) out of 6 rail pro equipped ones that will jerk going down a grade when it's not the lead loco.  Even changing the acceleration rates doesn't seem to help that particular one.  No problems with any of the others.  Fantastic stuff!

Laurence

Paul Schmidt

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 07:16:00 PM »
I know this can be done with DCC to a decent degree of reliability, but fine-tuning the speed tables, etc., must take hours. Else one risks either telescoping or compressing the cars and -- oops! Stuff's on the floor.

Myself, I would be nervous the entire time doing this with DCC-equipped locomotives. I think my anxiety would be reduced greatly with RailPro, because of the advantages it provides for ease of consisting and the way it communicates with each locomotive.

hirailer

• Engineer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 07:50:17 PM »
Hi Bill
I noticed that "bump" too. I took a hard look at, sometimes a spike on the inside of the rail may not be driven down far enough causing the wheel flanges to ride up on it. This was not  the case. There is a rail joint there which looks ok but because it is on a curve, there might be a burr on the side of the  rail. I'll do some filing and probably solder that joint. Never had a derailment at this spot though. :)

Mel
Having more fun with RailPro