Author Topic: WifiTrax info  (Read 5672 times)

darryl.trains

• Conductor
WifiTrax info
« on: November 17, 2017, 06:00:04 PM »
 Saw an ad in the latest MR rag about the wifitrax.  Looks like something for the DCC folks to think about if they are not ready for RP?
I looked at WT website as my curious nature was stirred. Interesting site but for most of us using RP, it most likely will not pick up any of us, well not me for one. This system uses windows 10 or Android. The heat is on DCC and it did have it's place for a long run but as they say, "time changes".    www.wifitrax.com
TOF in Arid-Zona.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: WifiTrax info
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 08:14:42 AM »
Look out Tim Ring. The competition is gathering at the gates. The wifitrax looks a bit crude and feature limited but likely is a bellwether of things to come.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 10:47:56 PM »
Layout IOE had an all WiFi system designed a few years ago but it never really went anywhere. My experience with WiFi has been only slightly better than DCC and I wouldn't even consider using WiFi for controlling my trains.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

CampbellRice

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 07:30:13 PM »
I would like to see an app for your phone like the HC2 and use the micro plug to plug in a CI-1 type device. But I guess he wouldn't sell as many HC-2s if he did.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 11:21:51 PM »
I would like to see an app for your phone like the HC2 and use the micro plug to plug in a CI-1 type device. But I guess he wouldn't sell as many HC-2s if he did.

The bigger problem is how to keep the Railpro software working on many different devices that vary widely in their capability.  Plus no physical knob for control.  To avoid those issues Tim designed his own throttle.  It's not without its shortcomings, but I can certainly see his logic.  I prefer a dedicated throttle over a phone personally.

-Kevin

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 09:02:31 AM »
I prefer the throttle knob, although I am about to send a recommendation to Tim to order the knobs with serrations along the edge for better thumb control. My phone is what I call a half-arsed dumb phone. It has a decent sized, bright touch screen that I can see clearly, and I can text with it, but it would be incapable of running trains. For $7/month, I can't complain.  :D
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 10:05:43 AM »
While you are talking to Tim about the knob ask him to change from rotary encoder to start-point / stop-point i.e. 0% - 100% with a mechanical stop on each end. I do not like being forced to look at the screen to make sure loco speed is 0%. My habit is to spin the knob a lot more than needed when stopping. It feels odd to spin spin spin. In addition, it prevents me from placing markers for presets like yard speed on the switchers. Honestly, I never have cared for the tactile qualities of rotary encoders in any device. Ring doesn't need to make the knob change for everyone, just a few for me.  ;D

metal-knob.jpg
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 10:07:43 AM by Alan »
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 10:25:35 AM »
Alan, is that an HC-2b knob? I have an HC-2, which is currently at Ring because I accidentally fried it. I believe mine has stops at both ends, but I can't check it right now.

I will advise Tim of your request.
Al

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 10:40:49 AM »
Alan, is that an HC-2b knob?

No, just a random picture from the Internet as a visual for what I described. The dots do not go all way round the knob.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 11:09:44 AM »
I advised Tim of both of our requests Alan.
Al

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 03:26:18 PM »
I advised Tim of both of our requests Alan.

Cool. Not going to hold my breath but it sure would be sweet.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

MtRR75

• Conductor
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 03:58:22 PM »
While you are talking to Tim about the knob ask him to change from rotary encoder to start-point / stop-point i.e. 0% - 100% with a mechanical stop on each end. I do not like being forced to look at the screen to make sure loco speed is 0%. My habit is to spin the knob a lot more than needed when stopping. It feels odd to spin spin spin. In addition, it prevents me from placing markers for presets like yard speed on the switchers. Honestly, I never have cared for the tactile qualities of rotary encoders in any device. Ring doesn't need to make the knob change for everyone, just a few for me.

One of the things I like about the HC-2 Knob is that it does NOT have a 0-100 scale.  The problem that I see with your suggestion is that when I am running multiple trains.  For example, I can get Train 1 going at, say 40%.  Then I switch to Train 2 and start it up slowly from 0% to, say 20%.  With your suggestion, when I switch from train 1 to Train 2, Train 2 will suddenly jump from 0% to 40%.  The only way to bypass this problem would be to add a "no train" setting to the locomotive screen in order to turn the dial down from 40% to 0% after leaving Train 1 and before going to Train 2.

This adds more delay time between controlling locos, and would be way to much fiddling around for me.  I would be likely to forget to reset between locos and get frustrated.  RailPro is the "easy to use" system.  Let's keep it that way.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 04:13:57 PM »
Excellent point. I don't operate more than one train per person at a time so that issue never occurred to me. At the present time my layout does not facilitate an orbiter. It is a long point-to-point.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website