Author Topic: Introduce Yourself...  (Read 77702 times)

MHoppe

• Brakeman
Re: Introduce Yourself...
« Reply #225 on: March 04, 2022, 09:58:59 PM »
Hi JRad,

Thank you for the reply and success you have had with RP. Based on everything I have read so far. The decision to go with RP would be very justified. I really like the technology they are using. Especially considering the fact I will need to convert all my locos over anyway. It appears converting them to DCC in my case does not make much sense.

Battery power is a real option for me. Have a fair bit of Code 332 brass track that I have collected over the years. Can use it all without much worry of trying to power it going battery.

Despite the fact that I have been studying this hobby awhile. I am still a newb but eager to learn.

Bonecrusher

• Fireman
New guy
« Reply #226 on: March 11, 2022, 07:58:49 PM »
Hi my name's David from San Diego Ca. I'm into G scale garden modelling. I am in the process of acquiring land rites and laying track in approved areas. I have been trolling thru this site and have decided I'd like to install this system. I am not that knowledgeable on electrical, but can follow directions. I found a very useful 5 part video from the fishguy on youtube that seems like it could keep me out of some trouble.
I have been looking to see if there was a vid or instructions on how to install railpro into an older Aristocraft F-1 A/B unit. To date I have not found any. Has anyone done that type of install? I believe I may have to brush up on my soldering.
Also, do i need 2 modules for this hookup? It will be fully battery control. Getting to old to be going around cleaning track.
Any help is appreciated.

David Womack

KB02

• Engineer
« Reply #227 on: March 12, 2022, 05:36:37 AM »
Hello David, and Welcome!
I'm not into G-Scale, but I can't imagine the wiring is that much more difficult than any other scale (actually, maybe easier since the wires are bigger and there's more room? ;D ).
As for the A/B unit, if you'll have two engines, you'll want a module for each.
Feel free to post any questions you have. This is a great group of people who will be willing to help you out!

Bonecrusher

• Fireman
« Reply #228 on: March 12, 2022, 12:00:57 PM »
Great, Thank you.

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #229 on: March 15, 2022, 12:38:06 AM »
Howdy.  At a train show/swap meet we attended about three years ago in San Diego, there were a few G gaugers  I chatted with them, they lived in SD area.. Have you gone to the join clubs at Balboa Park for there are many model railroaders hanging out downstairs in one of the big buildings.. Surely you should find help there. Have you been to Reeds Hobby as they might be of help?   Cheers TOF Yuma Arid-Zona

gregeusa

• Engineer
    • Greg's web site
« Reply #230 on: March 19, 2022, 05:13:30 PM »
Greg here... mostly large scale and Z scale.

been around a while, have a website of scarce and "corrected" information, mostly large scale:
www.elmassian.com  (750 pages or so)

Just learning other options since many of my friends are buying railpro.

David, I'm in Carlsbad, and of course in the SDGRS, will be happy to give you a hand. I can learn some of the ins and outs of RailPro too.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 01:59:01 PM by gregeusa »
Lots of tips and techniques on my site: www.elmassian.com contact me greg@elmassian.com

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #231 on: April 12, 2022, 09:54:49 AM »
akkloes,

If your looking for your question which you included with your introduction, your post has been moved to this board where more eyes will see it:

https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,1377.0.html

Welcome to the group.

- Tim

akkloes

• Fireman
« Reply #232 on: April 12, 2022, 01:02:50 PM »
thanks...that was really just meant to be a "why I'm here".  I was going to post the question elsewhere, but hadn't started looking for the best forum.  I appreciate you moving it for me!
kent

Keith ‘KD Rail’ Stratton

• Brakeman
« Reply #233 on: May 12, 2022, 01:11:37 PM »
Hi fellow RailPro users.  I’m into G scale in a big way with about 36 locos (mostly diesels). Used to use Revolution & Phoenix but am in the process of changing my fleet over to RailPro.  Been in the hobby since 2007.  Currently building a large outdoor layout and will end up with 2000’+ of track before I’m done.  Deadrail fan all the way.  Currently I gut my locos of all OEM boards, then install RP.  The battery and truck hookups are a breeze.  What I find takes the bulk of my time is the lighting, especially when converting from incandescent to LED.  Time well spent though as the finished product is just plain awesome!
Stay on track,
Keith ‘KD Rail’ Stratton

gregeusa

• Engineer
    • Greg's web site
« Reply #234 on: May 13, 2022, 05:47:47 PM »
Are you selling off your old boards and smoke units?
Lots of tips and techniques on my site: www.elmassian.com contact me greg@elmassian.com

Bonecrusher

• Fireman
« Reply #235 on: May 23, 2022, 02:03:13 PM »
Hello my name is David. Some people call me Bonecrusher, but David is fine too. I'm new to the forum and railpro. I model in G-scale and love doing it with battery power. I have an aristo F-1 A/B unit i want to update with railpro. My question at this moment is, can you use 1 module to control both units? Of course the battery will need to be a little larger.
I'm intending on using the LS- 4 module with a cooling fan. The A/B unit will run together mostly. I'd also like to run smoke, but I'm told it sucks power from the battery pretty quickly.
Any help will be appreciated.
David

Bonecrusher

• Fireman
« Reply #236 on: May 23, 2022, 02:12:26 PM »
My old age. Sorry about the repost of same question.

Pete

• Brakeman
« Reply #237 on: June 15, 2022, 02:10:03 PM »
Hi Pete L.
 I live in Arizona and have 1 USA trains loco with RailPro, now looking for information and ideas on installing on an AristoCraft Dash 9.

FarmBoy

• Brakeman
  • I’m Pat from Kansas. I’m retired, sold house in t
« Reply #238 on: August 10, 2022, 11:17:09 AM »
I’m Pat from Kansas.  I’m retired, sold house in the city, and now living on an 80 acre farm.  Twenty acres hay and 60 acres trees/rock formations, waterfalls and large pond. Was planning to model N scale but downsizing as we build a new house. Woke up and realized I had actually up sized my area to build a G scale layout outside!

Bought my first locomotive yesterday.  It is a Burlington Route Gp 7/9 G scale by USA Trains.  Plan to run dead rail since pretty rough country to use rail power.  Have decided to go with RailPro based on a lot of reading and positive reviews by owners.  I want to model Chicago, Burlington & Quincy through Burlington Route, Burlington Northern, and into BNSF.  My Grandfather was a certified CB&Q Operator between Lincoln and Omaha Nebraska 1917-1937.  He watched steam locomotives phasing out and the introduction of diesel with the Burlington Route Prairie Zephyr that ran from Lincoln to Omaha to St Joe to Kansas City and back daily starting in 1934.  That must have been a real sight to see that streamliner screaming through Ashland NE at 70-90 mph after watching steam all his life!

Track layout plan to date is an elongated folded figure eight about 46’ by 12’ with turnouts for industries common to this part of the country (grain, cement, gas, and oil).  Also multiple passenger stops along the route.  I would like to add a large loop going out into the “wilderness” that surrounds my house for outback stops. I want a switch yard for operations.  This will be a mult-step approach over time.  Trying to determine if raised rail is the way to go.  I’m 67 and the knees and back aren’t what they used to be.

Anyway, I have lots of questions regarding converting my new locomotive over to battery and then RailPro. Also, no sound in the locomotive right now so need to add a speaker.  Joining this forum seemed like a logical step in the learning/doing process.  Also other questions regarding track purchase but probably better asked on other forums like My Large Scale and G Scale Central.

Thanks for accepting me as a new member.  I look forward to our interactions together.

pat

snowdog

• Fireman
« Reply #239 on: January 03, 2023, 05:30:34 AM »
Bryan Good here. Air Force retiree, Buckeye chicken breeder and honeybee farmer. A year ago thought I'd fill my "quiet time" with model railroading. Alaska is what I chose since I picked up a GP40-2 with the new paint scheme some 13 months ago. It has been my goal to accurately run all 16 of their SD70MACs. My dive into dcc was guided by a fellow modeler who was an ESU fan. I quickly became point man for the club when it came speed matching which quickly ate up my time...then I saw a video demonstrating "load sharing" with RailPro.and was hooked. So, here I am.  ;D

The Alaska Railroad is my plan; condensed from Seward to Fairbanks. And it starts with one step, then another, and another...

Thank You for this platform,

Bryan