Author Topic: Introduce Yourself...  (Read 83404 times)

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
Re: Introduce Yourself...
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2018, 12:00:35 PM »
Bill:

Thanks for the info. I don't have any experience with steam power but I do recall some synching and chuff issues from other users.

The P2K GP-7/9's are tight as you know. I have a fleet of six that will get RP'd as soon as I finish my E units that I've been working on for what seems like forever now. But a preliminary assessment shows that milling the frames down will be required for the LM, a speaker, and a KeepAlive. And I'm also in desperate need for a good 567 sound file as my entire fleet is E, F, and GP-7/9/18's.

Welcome back!
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

PerezBill

• Fireman
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2018, 12:40:43 PM »
Since changing to modern (NS) pretty much all of my issues have gone away. I wish you luck with your installations. E units I can see having room but GP units... I question if you can get all of that in there an still keep some pulling power. May I suggest you look up some tungsten weights. They can be bought in places like Michaels, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby...etc. Their usually in the same area as the pine wood derby weights. You could add some weight back using less space as tungsten is a denser metal than the normal weight is. Just a thought.

Bill

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2018, 01:37:05 PM »

... There was also the size of the decoders. Tried to fit one into a proto 2000 gp7 and it barely didn't fit. I know more now that I did and doing that again I would have ground the weight down...

-Best Regards,
Bill

I can relate. My roster is all 1st gen diesels. Fitting decoders is a challenge. Much cutting, filling, machining, and similar space creating actions are required.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

TrainManic

• Fireman
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2018, 10:01:29 PM »
Hello!My name is John Hawkins and I love all things trains/Tech related.
I have a small n scale layout that I hope to finish soon. I'm waiting on the N scale RP decoder.
I have a small fleet of USA Trains equipment and I'm getting ready to start the outdoor G scale layout.
The actual reason I'm here is because of RP new G scale RX decoder.
I also have lego trains with the kids and I hope to convert those over to RP.
I think it will be pretty amazing to have my N/G/Lego trains all on one system.

I think I'm going to do some videos on my G scale installs of RP decoders. Coming soon I hope, lol.

So anyhow, glad to be aboard.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2018, 06:41:26 AM »
Welcome aboard, John. Looking forward to your videos.  :)
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

PerezBill

• Fireman
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2018, 08:37:19 AM »
John, welcome aboard. I haven't been a part of this for too long but I do know there is a lot of information to be found here that I was previously unaware of. Enjoy :)

cws

• Fireman
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2018, 09:47:12 PM »
Hi Bill and all current and future Railpro fans!

My name is Carl Smedberg and I'm slowly getting into HO railroading and have a small shelf layout at the moment.  Long term plan is to model the early 50's era of the Chicago Burlington & Quincy.  Presently I'm gathering locos like Genesys F3s, P2K E8/9s, an SW1200 and an Alco.  I'm not sure which loco to start on with my LM3S install so if you have any suggestions fire away!  I grew up in the western suburbs of Illinois but now live in Florida and I miss my basement! 

Bill thanks for everything you do, supporting the forums, sharing your knowledge and being an advocate for such a great product. 

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2018, 09:50:28 PM »
Welcome Carl:

I'd recommend starting with the E8/9 as that will give you the most room and it's a good platform for learning. Feel free to post pics. I'm a Rock Island modeler but I can appreciate Zephyr Silver just as well.

Jacob
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2018, 07:15:36 AM »
Welcome Carl! For starters, on those E units, remove the wire clips on the pickups and solder those connections. You will most likely have to hard wire the modules. You will enjoy using RailPro.  ;)
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

BrianGS

• Brakeman
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2018, 09:29:55 AM »
Hello, my name is Brian and i just recently purchaced Rail Pro for G-Scale. Ive been into trains my whole life, starting with HO and N when i was young. As i got older i always loved to see the large scale trains at the various train shows in my area. I am the proud owner of an outdoor railroad and a nice variety of diesel locomotives and modern freight.  It had gotten to the point where i wanted more out of my trains and didnt know which setup would be the best for me.  I found out about Rail Pro this past january at the Amhurst railroad hobby show in Springfield, Mass. and decided to go for it. So far im am very impressed with how well it performs. I hope to contribute to the G-Scale portion of this Forum and provide any help i can. Thanks for the add!

Josephunh

• Fireman
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2018, 02:01:22 PM »
Greetings all I am one of the new RailPro G scale users.  I am friends with a vendor who pushed for Tim to develop RailPro for G scale.  Currently I have it installed on the following:
1 x USAT Hudson
2 x USAT SD70's
2 x Aristocraft Dash9's
1 x USAT GP9
1 x AML Pennsy K4
1 x Aristocraft Pacific

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2018, 03:08:58 PM »
Welcome Brian and Joseph.  Great to have some more G-scale users on here.  Large-scale is somewhere that Railpro is such a good fit.  I look forward to hearing your experiences.  Videos of Railpro controlling G-scale would be very welcome, as I don't think there are any out there now.

-Kevin

Josephunh

• Fireman
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2018, 04:13:08 PM »
Thank you we are happy to have Railpro for G scale as that market has really needed a system like this.  The only thing that is really lacking in the G department is the sounds.  Currently because we can fit much larger speakers with greater sound range we are looking for enhanced horn, whistle and steam chuffing files.  Tim I know hopes to release some but not sure when that will occur.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2018, 04:16:52 PM »
Thank you we are happy to have Railpro for G scale as that market has really needed a system like this.  The only thing that is really lacking in the G department is the sounds.  Currently because we can fit much larger speakers with greater sound range we are looking for enhanced horn, whistle and steam chuffing files.  Tim I know hopes to release some but not sure when that will occur.

We are all patiently waiting for new sound files.  The newest ULT prime mover files are great, but we definitely are anxious for more.

KWilhelm

• Fireman
  • Not fireman
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2018, 05:30:57 PM »
My name is Keith. I am starting back into the hobby after a long break.  Worked for BNSF as a conductor for about a year before getting another job. Decided to building my layout that models after the powder river subdivision that I worked. Love the job but had to leave, to greener pastures.

When I left at the hobby the only thing that was available was DC. Did a lot of research on DCC and was getting ready to take the plunge when I discovered railpro. This is the way I want to go. The only question I have is I started my layout with DC. Do I have to buy a power pack from railpro? Or can I run the real pro on my existing DC system?