Author Topic: Introduce Yourself...  (Read 83400 times)

Gibs

• Engineer
Re: Introduce Yourself...
« Reply #210 on: February 26, 2021, 06:17:57 AM »
G'Day All
I  live in WA ( no not that one, the other one, Western Australia!  lol).
My life experiences are a many facet affair from time in the armed forces in both the UK and Australia to running my own small computer tech service to working at the mines up north of WA.
I built my original layout way back in the day when DC was all there was, which didn't impress the other half as it was all in the lounge room. Several houses later with no layouts and kids all grown up (except for 1 new little girl), I decided it was time to get back into trains. So I'm currently doing a Loft Conversion to my home so I can finally run all the loco's and rolling stock I have been slowly amassing through the years. I'm modeling the railways here in WA, from the South West narrow gauge to the West to East standard gauge as well as the big iron railways up north. The track power and computer control is DCC but individual train operation will be RailPro.
On that front I have my first RailPro items on the way, 1 HC-2b and a LM-3S from Bill around a month ago, still waiting, postie says its left the US.
The reason I chose RailPro is two fold, one - because doing the DPU style lash ups we have here on our iron ore trains is right up RailPro's alley, And second and maybe the most important reason, my 3 year old little girl can play trains with here Dad as easy as falling off a Loco. :D
We are using both HO Scale (with a dabble in OO) and G Scale (G is my daughters - She likes her Piko Christmas Train).
Cya Down the Line.
Cya Down The Line.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #211 on: February 26, 2021, 10:28:38 PM »
Welcome Gibs,

I've a few loco's for doing the Pilbara stuff as well, some C636's (which all require mods to make accurate unfortunately) C628 and an Athearn FMG SD90 which is big! If someone made the correct C44-9w I'd have those as well.

In the current climate it'll probably take longer to get your parcel from Bill than usual. Best I had was 8 days I think but that was way back when USPS and Aus Post actually worked reasonably well, and I'm also on the same side of the country that the international mail comes in on. You can add a week for Aus Post to just get your parcel from Syd to Perth, and then extra time from there to you depending on where in WA you are.

You'll need a way to charge the HC-2b. Either an AU to US adapter plug (like those travel adapters you see shops at airports selling etc) to use the included charger , or get another USB charger of the required voltage and current capability.  I forget what the specs are off hand, 5v 1A I think. Personally I just use my PC or powered USB hub for charging the HC-2b. Despite what Ring says it works fine if you have the correct cable and USB ports.

- Tim

Gibs

• Engineer
« Reply #212 on: February 27, 2021, 02:55:51 AM »
G'Day Tim.
Yeah I live around 45minutes south of Perth, just in the country side not the metro, so I already have had an interesting time with the postie or courier's, all due to this covid bollocks. Plus for some reason every time I order anything from the US, the item always seems to want to take a grand tour of all 52 states there of. :D

ATM my Iron Ore roster is 5 x BHP GE AC6000, 2 x BHP SD40-2, 1 x BHP SD70ACe, 4 x FMG SD90MAC-H2, 2 x FMG SD9043MAC, 1 x FMG SD70Ace, 1 x Rio Tinto ES44ACi, 1 x Pilbara Rail C44-9W.
However that's not even close to what I plan to end up with. Personally though, I just can't get my head around the older CM40-8M and all its reiterations, so I wont be adding them to the fleet.

Charging wont be an issue for the HC, I will either convert the plug on the power pack (most likely action) or use one of my other power pack USB chargers if I can find a spare one just laying around (unlikely due to wife and daughter using them all the time.  lol)

Cya Down the Line.
Gibs
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 03:01:05 AM by Gibs »
Cya Down The Line.

Ray Montgomery

• Brakeman
« Reply #213 on: May 29, 2021, 11:41:46 AM »
Hello my name is Ray Montgomery, I'm new here and I just bought my first Railpro system. Spending memorial day weekend installing it in the layout and getting the first engine up and running. I model in On30 primarily, my layout is set in 1920s southeastern United States. I live in Columbus Georgia.

I'll take any beginner words of wisdom you may have to share.

Thanks Ray

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #214 on: May 29, 2021, 01:50:35 PM »
Welcome here Ray and the rest of the new members!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

ON28

• Conductor
« Reply #215 on: May 29, 2021, 04:56:42 PM »
Hello my name is Ray Montgomery, I'm new here and I just bought my first Railpro system. Spending memorial day weekend installing it in the layout and getting the first engine up and running. I model in On30 primarily, my layout is set in 1920s southeastern United States. I live in Columbus Georgia.

I'll take any beginner words of wisdom you may have to share.

Thanks Ray

Welcome! I was in Columbus years ago when there was still street running in front of my hotel.

Gibs

• Engineer
« Reply #216 on: May 30, 2021, 01:04:54 AM »
Welcome Ray
Enjoy your install, never rush, just have fun. 😊
Cya Down The Line.

rick

• Fireman
  • running G scale
« Reply #217 on: September 26, 2021, 01:08:50 PM »
Hi.  I'm Rick.  I am switching from Zimo DCC to RailPro.  I run G-scale outdoors and like the simplicity of RailPro.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #218 on: September 26, 2021, 09:15:03 PM »
Welcome Rick,

We have several large scalers here so hopefully you'll be right at home.

- Tim

Ozarktraveler

• Brakeman
« Reply #219 on: October 26, 2021, 02:46:38 PM »
Hello,

Ozarktraveler here. Working on a pseudo-prototypical model of Seligman MO. In years gone by it was a little junction in Southwest MO. Era is loosely transition steam to diesel,  but not strict about it. Mainly model Frisco and whatever came down the Ft Smith Sub.

Came to learn more about Railpro, I have installed two LMs and will be installing a 3rd this week sometime.

I've found forums to be fun, and educational when populated with like minded folks.
What's a non-sequitur, an orange?

bcochran75

• Brakeman
« Reply #220 on: October 26, 2021, 03:09:19 PM »
Hi Folks,

My name is Bob.  I am currently working in G scale. I have done a number of Battery, R/C installations to my G scale Bachmann, LGB and other engines.  I've used mostly AirWire/Phoenix Sound combinations. It seems that Phoenix Sound products are nowhere to be found now.  A dealer I bought from told me to check out RailPro and in doing so I found this site.

I also have done a number of HO DCC installations and have a HO DCC layout in my grarage.

The interesting thing I find about G scale Battery power installing is that much of the knowledge you need, you have to gain by doing your own research.  That stops many people in my garden railroad club from using battery power.

Fortunately I am no stranger to research.

With that in mind, the main thing that upsets me is the attitude by some modelers of "figure it out for yourself before you ask." I am willing to share what I know and if we all were like that there would be more of us in the hobby. At least share where you found what you know instead ridiculing a newbie as I have seen some "experts" do on other sites.  We were all newbies once.

So here I am

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #221 on: October 26, 2021, 11:18:02 PM »
Welcome Bob,

We have quite a few large scalers here now so you should be in good company. Note that posting activity isn't the highest here compared to other forums but ask away, even us small scalers will try to answer a large scale question if we can.

- Tim

MikeC

• Brakeman
« Reply #222 on: February 21, 2022, 07:11:21 AM »
Hi All:
I'm Mike in Central Florida.  Working with G Gauge, outdoors. I'm making all my trains battery power, and chose to use the railpro system.  So far have successfully converted a few engines to RailPro and battery, with many more to go. Found it to be fairly straight forward.  As a side note, almost all my stuff is old, so not prewired for DCC.

MHoppe

• Brakeman
« Reply #223 on: March 04, 2022, 04:32:11 PM »
Hi, my name is Mitch Hoppe from the SF Bay Area and have been planning our layout and collecting G scale rolling stock for many years. Having recently retired, it is finally time to build my dream layout. Really looking forward to turning dirt in the next month or so.

I now have the ultimate decision of which way to go with powering and controlling the trains. RailPro looks very appealing to me. Primarily because we have a clean slate to work with. Right now everything is track powered engines with no DCC decoders or control systems.

This is a great hobby with some very knowledgeable and experienced folks. It will be great to share my journey and hear what others have to say along the way.

JRad

• Conductor
« Reply #224 on: March 04, 2022, 07:22:12 PM »
Hi Mitch.  I recently converted my fleet of Fn3 Scale (same track as G) to Railpro.  I could be happier with the steam sound implementations, but overall I'm very happy. I'm able to do things with my indoor/outdoor RR that I previously only dreamed of. I considered DCC early on, via track power, but was convinced by those with bad experiences to not go that way. I went with a couple of the older systems before I tried RailPro. I have guest operated with a number of the current R/C systems out there like Airwire and Revo, but didn't care for the controller on either.  Am convinced, that for me, RP is a perfect fit.

Are you considering battery power?  Works very well with RP.