Author Topic: Any Suggestions  (Read 5423 times)

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Any Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2017, 09:49:45 AM »
Carter,

Ping needs to be done from the command prompt in windows.
Google is not involved.

It looks like this:

2017-12-20 ping example.jpg
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 12:14:05 PM »
ping 99.110.149.169
I Also cannot download from Ring server, nor the PING above doe not work as Google says" did not match".

Your mention of Google leads me to believe you are attempting to use the ping command in a browser. The ping command is not run in a browser but rather from a command line on your computer. Here is how to access the command prompt on a Windows machine: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-command-prompt-2618089
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

DaveB

• Fireman
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2017, 08:30:21 PM »
Download update.   Went to a friends house that has cable, hooked my laptop to the router and downloaded with no problems. I guess that fly through the sky stuff just will not work. We are good to go now.

Dave

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2017, 09:56:29 PM »
Good news Dave!
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 04:24:17 AM »
That's good to hear Dave.

I've been doing some research into this and can confirm that satellite internet and UDP pretty much don't mix, it's not that they can't but more that satellite internet providers make it that way in their effort to try and make your internet faster. Bill was on the money with latency but it's for a different reason.

From the research I've done so far it seems that satellite internet providers use various methods of "acceleration" to combat latency. This is fine for protocols which make a connection like TCP but UDP (called connectionless) falls apart because UDP cannot be accelerated.

I'll keep researching possible solutions but your best bet might be to get onto your internets tech support, ask for a senior technician and explain you have a program that communicates over the internet using UDP so what can they do to help you.

- Tim

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 06:56:28 AM »
I wonder if a VPN could be used to tunnel the UDP packets of TCP?
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 07:57:02 AM »
I wonder if a VPN could be used to tunnel the UDP packets of TCP?

This in theory should work but it might be too slow to sustain the connection. It's one of the theories I want to try, not a proper VPN as such but rather client and server software to encapsulate the UDP packets in TCP packets, making a simple relay. I haven't found anything like that I can try yet and writing such software is way out of my league.

- Tim