Author Topic: Cannot load sound files from HC-2b to LM-3S  (Read 7969 times)

robert.h.giffin

• Fireman
Cannot load sound files from HC-2b to LM-3S
« on: December 31, 2017, 12:42:27 AM »
When moving sound files (tried GE 7FDL-16 and ULT) to the LM-3S at different points for each attempt it fails with a message 'Cannot Connect'.  I have placed the controller at various distances from the decoder with no luck.  I have also updated both the HC-2b and the LM-3S to the most recently released firmware.  Since I removed the standard diesel sounds to make room for the desired file, the decoder no longer has sound.  I have also tried two separate decoders with the same issue.  This is not looking good at the moment BUT so far this is the only real insurmountable issue I have found.  But it's a big one.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Cannot load sound files from HC-2b to LM-3S
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 06:36:43 AM »
Is there a switching power supply nearby? If so, move it.

I had a situation where an operating power supply was sitting on the bench and anytime the line of sight from the HC to the LM was anywhere close to passing near the power supply the connection would drop. Moving the power supply totally fixed the problem.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

robert.h.giffin

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 09:18:20 AM »
Something like that.  My testing setup right now is a single piece of flex track that I'm powering with alligator clips.  I had the power supply on top of the desk but it wasn't in the direct line of sight of the radios, however, I do know how power supplies can affect certain frequencies so your suggestion made sense.  It actually turned out that probably one of the alligator clips (or both) were likely not making great contact so I did two things, 1) lengthened the leads to put the power supply on the floor masked by the workbench and 2) re-positioned the alligator clips to make better contact (I know, I should solder to the rails).  And step 2 worked.  Makes sense, error message being 'Cannot Connect' meaning the radios intermittently drop power, shows up more on larger files like sound, the reason I was able to do lights and pictures but not sound files.  Now to try the ULT series sound files.

Thanks for the suggestion.  It set me on the right path!

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 03:40:02 PM »
Yes, make sure those clips have good contact.  Or like you said, solder the leads on.  With a file as large as the ULT files you will need to be sure that there is no possible way for the signal to be dropped. 

You'll love that 7FDL-16 ULT sound file....it is truly excellent.

-Kevin

Ken Z

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 02:46:06 PM »
I find that downloading sound files is extreemly slow.  They are big files so I am OK with that, I just want to make sure I am not the only person with that situation.  I also found that if I have another locomotive next to the one I am trying to load files to I get the cannot connect message.  I have only done a couple of engines but it looks like once I get the sound file on the Hand Held, I can just load more locomotives without going back to the Ring site.

Ken Z
Ken Zieska

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 04:02:28 PM »
Ken, yes the files are very slow to load. Have you tried moving the second locomotive a few feet just to verify that this is the cause? I have not had that experience. You should be able to copy files no matter where the locomotives are.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 05:41:46 PM »
I have also experienced the connection lost issue randomly with the larger ULT files. I never thought to move the locos apart when this has happened, and come to think of it, this has probably only been an issue when I am programming in pairs.

I will have to try that.

Sadly I have a RailPro system coming back to me because of this issue too. I'm going to follow up with Ring Engineering on this.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

robert.h.giffin

• Fireman
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 06:31:45 PM »
FYI, I tried both, having both locomotives on the track and also with only one.  Still had the issue so doubtful this is the answer.  The files are just WAY large.  I note that when downloading them from the server they come in two parts (or it does it twice), so there is a three part process.  1) download from the server to the Assistant; download from the Assistant to the controller, twice (or two files or a UDP file transfer being done again to recover bad packets), 3) download to the locomotive (only success was the GE 7FDL16 file, ULT file always failed and the last time I tried it it caused the decoder to go a bit kaddywompus - never did figure out what happened).  When you get my one working decoder back you should look at it.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 06:41:53 PM »
Robert,

Tim Ring suggested in an email today that he is confident he could have helped you overcome the issues you were having. If you still have your product, I would encourage you to followup with him and see if you can get this working for you. Failing that, I will have my first return.

Again, I'm sorry you had such a tough go of it.

All the best!

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 06:48:30 PM »
I wonder if it is possible for Ring to provide a flash drive solution. Can't get it working on the web - request a flash drive be sent.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

robert.h.giffin

• Fireman
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 06:56:25 PM »
No, the frustration was too much.  I am also a fly fisherman and I find that to be relaxing, as it should be, as I thought I remembered this hobby being.  I don't fish primarily to catch fish, I fish to get away.  But getting back into the hobby after 40 years away from it was a mistake.  And, you have my other frustrations in the emails I sent you, it wasn't just this issue.  I deal with troublesome technology at work as an IT Director, I don't need it in a hobby.  Tying flies is about as technical as I need to get.  Plus, recent health issues did not help any.

Don't feel bad, just didn't work out.  I have been keeping a document of suggestions that I would be happy to send you if you wish.  Like the one that was just submitted - a direct connection between the HC and the decoder using USB or some other connector to attach the decoder to the controller for direct disk access.  Files would be slow to come down from the Ring servers but quick to place on the flash in the decoder that way.  Would be good for initial setup before you put it in the locomotive.

robert.h.giffin

• Fireman
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 07:00:13 PM »
By the way, I am also sending the two locomotives back as well.  I can reuse some of the tools on the fly tying bench or give them to my son who models stuff (not railroads).  I'll lose a bit of money on the re-stocking fees but I will recover some of it.  All part of the game.

robert.h.giffin

• Fireman
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 07:07:13 PM »
From the research I've done, the radios use UDP to transfer the files.  This will usually result in them taking a long time as packets have to be re-sent if they didn't come through the first time and fail the error protocol.  I understand the use of UDP for small radio based systems because TCP overhead is much greater.  But TCP brings packet acknowledgement to the table and often, when you think you are saving using UDP, you actually are not because of all the packet retransmission and error handling that has to happen with UDP.  It can often take longer with UDP than with TCP.  Based on my limited experience with these systems, this seems to indeed be one of the issues.  Sorry if I sound like I'm guessing.

I think there are other options.  But most of them would require some form of re-architecture of the system to implement.  Not sure Mr. Ring would be open to that.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 07:25:23 PM by robert.h.giffin »

robert.h.giffin

• Fireman
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 07:20:17 PM »
I also have a few suggestions about the operation of the controller and Assistant.  You should be able to quickly download the files from the server to Assistant using the full stack of TCP available on the computer.  You should be able to store those in Assistant, you should also be able to preview the sound files and preview pictures through Assistant.  Then you should be able to pick from those and COPY them to the controller, keeping them in Assistant so you don't have to go back to the server every time you need that file or files.  I think there are a lot of UI improvements that could be valuable additions and would help to warm the technically challenged folks to the technology.

Again, I was keeping a file with all of these that I had planned to send to either you or Mr. Ring.  Would still be happy to provide.  Sorry for the multiple posts, just got me thinking...

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 07:41:36 PM »
Robert,

Please feel free to send your ideas to me and to Mr. Ring.

As far as local storage, the RPA software does store the files locally after downloading, you just need to choose them from the second row of buttons in the RPA. I agree, this could be laid out better and be a little more seamless in execution.