Author Topic: HC-2b charging problem  (Read 5335 times)

Morebassman

• Fireman
HC-2b charging problem
« on: January 08, 2018, 01:19:49 PM »
Just downloaded the update for the HC-2b Charger the other day.
After the update my controller said it was fully charged.
Don't know why because I had to download the update and it would have lost some power along the way.

Anyway... I downloaded some other updates to controller to update sound on modules until there wasn't enough power to continue.
I tried to charge controller and it was at half way after i checked it later. My fault... I didn't set my timer to charge long enough per manual.
When I tried to fully complete the charge the next day, I get this message in abought 2 min:

Faulted
charger under current

Any suggestions?

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: HC-2b charging problem
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 01:48:09 PM »
You mentioned a timer. Do you have the charger plugged into a timer device, or is it plugged into the wall?

It sounds like you may have a faulty charger.

Unplug the charger and let it sit for a while, then plug it directly into the wall socket and try again.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 01:48:35 PM »
I haven't seen that one before. It would suggest the charger is not putting out enough current to charge the batteries.  It might have just been a glitch. You should be able to unplug the HC from the charger and finish charging later. If it happens again I would call or email Ring.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Morebassman

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 02:46:30 PM »
I plugged charger into wall socket like you said and had the same results.

Faulted
charger under current

So any suggestions on a new charger?
I didn't see a replacement on the Ring Engineering site.
A direct link to a recommended product would be appreciated because my knowledge in very limited. 

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 02:55:32 PM »
I'm sure Ring has chargers available. If your charger is no longer under warranty, or if you just want to get one on your own, this is the same charger under the manufacturer's brand:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cui-inc/EPS060100-P5RP/T1019-P5RP-ND/1842074
Al

carrson

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 02:57:09 PM »
your not alone...my unit does the same...I get a good but not full charge before the fault message appears ...I have read on this forum that others have the same issue... I emailed Ring Engineering and the response was that he was aware some units are doing this and that in the future it would be addressed in a software update...so far it has not affected the way I run my trains but it is frustrating..one thing I haven't done yet is let the unit's charge indicator run into the red zone...there is no fix at this time that I'm aware of so I just live with it until there is... I do have the latest software update on my controller and it still happens...

Larry

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 03:00:07 PM »
Al, that is not the charger for the HC-2B. The HC-2B uses a USB cable instead of the barrel connector.

To anyone having this problem, please contact Ring Engineering.

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 03:23:57 PM »
My mistake. Bill is correct. The link I posted is for the HC2, not the HC2b. Sorry for the confusion.
Al

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 03:28:51 PM »
I just got off the phone with Tim Ring.

He says that if you are having a charger under current warning and you are running the CURRENT SOFTWARE (V2.03) for the HC-2B then it is likely that you are not using the USB cable that came with the HC-2B, or the cable is damaged.

The Cable that Ring supplies has larger size conductors than the average USB cable, and using a cable with undersized conductors can result in that warning.

Tim says the software side of this issue has been resolved.

carrson

• Fireman
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 03:54:55 PM »
Hi Bill...
I'm going to update my software again and see what transpires...I have only used the cable and charger supplied for this product... I dont have any other cables to use... also I tried the cable that came with my second unit and the issued occurred with that cable...my second unit has no issues when charging with that cable...

Larry

Morebassman

• Fireman
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 09:33:23 AM »
I must have a bad cable.
Thanks for your help.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 09:37:26 AM »
I must have a bad cable.

Contact Ring, He should be able to hook you up ;)

Morebassman

• Fireman
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 11:55:25 AM »
I contacted ring engineering yesterday and sent him the post I put up on the forum.

Just downloaded the update for the HC-2b Charger the other day.
After the update my controller said it was fully charged.
Don't know why because I had to download the update and it would have lost some power along the way.

Anyway... I downloaded some other updates to controller to update sound on modules until there wasn't enough power to continue.
I tried to charge controller and it was at half way after I checked it later. My fault... I didn't set my timer to charge long enough per manual.
When I tried to fully complete the charge the next day, I get this message within a few minutes.

Faulted
charger under current

It was suggested I had a bad charger or usb cable.
I am using the original cable that came with charger.

If you think it’s the cable and/or charger, can you send a price and a payment method?
Thanks
Tom

This was his reply to the problem.

You are likely ok.  After a update the HC re-boots.  It looses its current battery level and defaults to nearly full.  So please let the HC run down until the charge indicator turns red (You are in the last 10% of battery life).  This is easy to detect for the HC and the charge indicator will automatically be set to the proper charge.  Then charge normally.  Please be sure you did the update properly.  It is important that you are running HC program Rev 2.03.  From the main screen press the Adjust Settings button and check the Rev where it displays Program.  If you do the above and still see a charger under current please let us know.
Thank you for contacting Ring Engineering!

I'm still trying to run down the controller. If I was in the last 10% of battery life I wouldn't think it would take that long to get into the red Zone.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:18:07 PM by William Brillinger »

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 02:17:20 PM »
I'm still trying to run down the controller. If I was in the last 10% of battery life I wouldn't think it would take that long to get into the red Zone.

The charge indicator is not very accurate until it hits the red-zone. A fully charged HC can go for 16 to 20 hours easily.

The easiest way to run it down is to set the screen brightness to full and then disable the auto shutdown, and leave it on.
It will still shutdown when it gets to the red-zone.

Morebassman

• Fireman
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 07:01:10 PM »
I ran the contoller till it lost all power. Took awhile even with the brightness at 100%.
Good news is that it has been on the charger for about 2 hours and no (Faulted- Under Current Warnings).
Amazing!
Great responce for a fix from Ring Engineering.
and for this forum too!!!