Author Topic: CI-1 and HC-2b detection issue solved, possibly for everyone?  (Read 3725 times)

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
CI-1 and HC-2b detection issue solved, possibly for everyone?
« on: January 11, 2018, 09:23:08 AM »
Way back at the start of November last year a member here (Al) had a problem, HC Simulator wasn't seeing his CI-1 (https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,499.0.html). We had a short go at diagnosing the problem but then the work busy season intervened and I had to let it go for awhile; there's just not enough hours in the day during busy season. A few days ago I picked it up again and I believe I have identified the problem with almost 100% certainty (anything is possible in Windows, hence the almost) for every user that has the same issue.

There is there is a bug in HC Simulator and RailPro Assistant that can prevent them from seeing the CI-1 and the handheld (HC-2b) respectively under a certain set of circumstances. I was able to patch the bug in HC Simulator and now HC Simulator sees the CI-1 on Al's computer 100% of the time. I've not been able to test the RailPro Assistant patch as Al doesn't have a HC-2b. I've notified RE of the bug and they are looking into it.

I'd like a bigger dataset for the patch. If anyone has this issue, that HC Simulator can't detect the CI-1 or RailPro Assistant can't see the handheld (HC-2b) PM me for the patched file and instructions. Once I've got a bigger dataset of the patches success I'll post the patched file to the bug board unless RE comes out with fixed version beforehand.

- Tim

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
Re: CI-1 and HC-2b detection issue solved, possibly for everyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:38:24 AM »
I would like to publicly thank Tim for all the time and effort he put into resolving this issue. One reason I recently bought this Dell laptop running Win10 was to be able to download, copy and delete files at my layout, without the fast rundown of the HC2 batteries. I would think there has to be other computers that may have the same problem.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

roofintrash

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 02:34:12 PM »
I just got a new desktop with Windows 10, and have no problem with HC sim and CI-1. Works perfectly. RPA and connecting to an HC-2 is another story. Computer recognizes the HC2 but RPA does not. PM sent
Rick

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 07:13:17 PM »
Been trying to update HC Sim and strangely I'm unable to download from Ring through the installer.  Administrator rights, allowed through firewall, etc, nothing seems to work.  Worked fine in the past.  RPA connects to the Ring server fine.  I'll keep digging.

-Kevin

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 07:27:21 PM »
That is strange, I just updated HC Sim no problem. You not accidentally using an old copy of the installer (pre version 3.0)?

RE updated HC Sim today to v2.04 to address the bug so once you've been able to update HC Sim to 2.04 it should detect the CI-1.

- Tim

Morebassman

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 09:07:05 PM »
Can't update simulator 2.04 program
Says it could not copy files from Ring Engineering.
Any thoughts?

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 09:26:44 PM »
Does the installer say Rev 3.00 in the bottom right hand corner?

If not you'll need to download the latest installer first (http://ringengineering.com/Software/RailProHcSimulatorInstaller.exe). Rings server changed IP address a while ago and installers older than revision 3 can no longer connect to Rings server.

If the installer does say revision 3 all I can suggest is trying again, I just tried and was able to download HC Sim 2.04 again.

I'll be making 2.04 available here on RPUG too but that'll be a little while yet, I've still got to write a new offline installer.

- Tim

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 10:35:54 PM »
I was able to install the HC Sim Update.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 10:56:14 PM »
It installed on one of mine, not the other.... I'll try some other things tomorrow. Should be able to get it to work.

Morebassman

• Fireman
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 09:54:53 AM »
Does the installer say Rev 3.00 in the bottom right hand corner?

If not you'll need to download the latest installer first (http://ringengineering.com/Software/RailProHcSimulatorInstaller.exe). Rings server changed IP address a while ago and installers older than revision 3 can no longer connect to Rings server.

If the installer does say revision 3 all I can suggest is trying again, I just tried and was able to download HC Sim 2.04 again.

I'll be making 2.04 available here on RPUG too but that'll be a little while yet, I've still got to write a new offline installer.

still can't update simulator 2.04 program
Says it could not copy files from Ring Engineering.
Running rev 3.00
Tom

Morebassman

• Fireman
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 12:39:07 PM »
I was able to update the HC 2.04 simulator today.
I think my problem was I had to go to the "Norton Security Center" and click "trust this file" then disable the "Norton Smart Firewall". 
Not sure if that was the reason it worked, but it did update.
Tom

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 01:51:45 PM »
go to the "Norton Security Center" and click "trust this file" then disable the "Norton Smart Firewall"

I would be certain that was the issue. Norton can be a real bear at times.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 09:29:58 AM »
The first thing I do when setting up a new computer is to remove the free Norton software, which I have found to be a resource hog. I replace it with SuperAntiSpyware, which has been an excellent piece if software.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 10:15:43 AM »
I haven't had time to look into it more, but Norton is certainly not part of the issue for me.  Like Al, I remove any Norton product, as well as any other bloatware that comes on my computers.

As a side note, I've been running the standard Windows Defender for years with no issues.  I don't visit questionable websites, don't download anything or open anything unless I explicitly trust the source, and my browser/virus and spyware definitions/operating system are always kept fully up to date.

-Kevin

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 10:02:08 AM »
Updating this so everyone is aware.  I cleared out my download folder of any old RPA or HC Sim install files, downloaded the new install file from ringengineering.com, and everything installed normally.  My laptop now detects the CI-1 as it should.

Thanks to 'the other Tim' for figuring out why the CI-1 wasn't getting recognized, and for getting Ring to fix the software.

-Kevin