Author Topic: Looking for Atlas rs1 install pics  (Read 4183 times)

Mark Wengert

• Fireman
Looking for Atlas rs1 install pics
« on: January 21, 2018, 10:43:36 AM »
I am looking for pictures from anyone who has installed a sound decoder in an Atlas classic rs1.  I want to convert from dc to railpro but i run a lot of rs1 and s2 locomotives and there doesn't seem to be enough room to install any of it.  I want to use railpro but if i cant get it to fit i may have to go digitrax dcc for a full board swap.  Thanks for the help.
Mark
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:46:06 AM by Mark Wengert »

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Looking for Atlas rs1 install pics
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 01:13:03 PM »
I have an Atlas RS1 waiting for an install but haven't lifted the shell yet. I have done an Atlas S2 (old tooling). Sorry, no pics. I'll take pics on the next one. I have 5 more S-2s waiting.

The LM had to be removed from its plastic shell to fit inside the hood. Mounted just forward of the cab at the top of the hood. Two small styrene strips glued to the shell sides act as a ledge for the LM to rest on. Kapton tape protects the bottom of the bare LM. The rear flywheel diameter had to be machined down .065"  to clear the underside of the LM. Wiring harness extends into the cab. Extraordinarily tight installation. I can't imagine trying to do sound as well.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

Mark Wengert

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 02:36:42 PM »
Well, thanks for the ideas and info.  I think the product is great just not sure if it is in my skill level and tooling to get these installs done.  If ihave to mill the flywheel down, i dont know where i would get that done around here.   I am not giving up yet on rail pro.  Maybe some others will chime in with ideas and pictures to help out.  Thanks again.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 03:07:18 PM »
Poor man's milling:

Remove the motor. Tightly wrap the motor frame with a wash cloth. Clamp in vise. Cut a slit halfway across a piece of shirt cardboard. Slide the cardboard between the motor frame and flywheel to prevent filings from entering motor. Apply power to the motor. Hold fine file against rotating flywheel. Blow away any loose filings.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 06:12:30 AM »
And don't be shy about telling Ring Engineering you want to see a smaller LM!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 10:13:18 AM »
Atlas RS1 railpro 1.jpgAtlas RS1 railpro 2.jpgAtlas RS1 railpro 3.jpg
Here's the Atlas RS1 with a RailPro module install that it did for a customer. It went quite well. I think on the second one I put an iPhone speaker in it. Didn't take any pictures of that one.

Mark Wengert

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 04:51:04 AM »
Wow, i guess it will fit.  Thanks Bruce for the pictures.  How did you solve the headlight and number board light issue?  Do you do installs for anyone?

Mark Wengert

• Fireman
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 03:27:30 AM »
Well the rs1 looks do able, but then there is my s2.  I've measured a few times and it just doesn't seem to be enough room to install here.  The flywheel will have to be milled a lot.  Cut a portion of the weight out, no big deal.  Then hope a poke.  Does it really shrink it down by taking the protective cover off the lm3s?  Appreciate all the input,  im new to the dcc world idea and dont have my confidence up yet with it.  Thanks.
1517130713797360848111.jpg
1517130792106930224196.jpg

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 08:27:47 AM »
I had to cut the weight and flywheel. My LM2 is mounted here with connector inside the cab.

1517130713797360848111.jpg
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

Mark Wengert

• Fireman
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 06:05:56 PM »
Looks like ill have my work "cut out" for me with the s2.  Thanks for the pictures, info, and ideas.  I think im sold on railpro, just round up a few bucks to get started.

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »
Mark, sorry about the delay in answering you. The RS1 already had dcc installed. I just left the lights where the pervious guy had installed them. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of how he did it. From memory it was a bulb into the lighting tubes.
To answer your other question, the only installs I have done are for friends, nothing for others on a paid basis.