Author Topic: RPA no Internet connection  (Read 2236 times)

datman

• Fireman
RPA no Internet connection
« on: January 31, 2018, 01:00:00 AM »
Hi,

I am new to this, I downloaded the RPA to evaluate it. I had problems trying to get it to install, so I download the files of this forum and I now have it installed. But RPA will not connect to the internet. I have enter a email and password etc, tried disabling firewalls etc but no luck.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
Re: RPA no Internet connection
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 06:27:49 AM »
Not very much information to start with. What kind of internet connection do you have? regular (you have a modem that's connected to your house phone line)? satellite? etc etc?

If you have a regular type of internet connection what is the brand and model number of the modem?

- Tim

datman

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 04:07:49 AM »
I have tried at work and at home. I have a standard copper connection at home and work. Work modem is a Draytek Vigor 2850n, home dynalink RTA1025W. Thanks.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 06:51:42 AM »
Thanks,

What we want to try and do is check if any IP filtering is happening in your modems firewall. This will be about the home modem but the same would apply to the work modem; just how to get to the firewall would be different.

Firstly you'll need login access to the modem (username and password). If you bought the modem off the shelf retail then you will have these details somewhere. If your ISP provided the modem to you with your internet plan you may need to get the username and password from them.

Access the modems configuration by putting 192.168.1.1 into your web browsers address bar. This is the default address for the modem. If you don't get a login screen we'll have to find the correct address.

Once logged into the modem, along the top of the page click the advanced icon, then on the left side click the firewall link. From there we need to find "IP Filtering" which I don't know exactly where to tell you it is as I can't find a screen shot anywhere.

If IP filtering is disabled then we are done, there is no UDP blocking happening in your modem and you can log out of the modem and we'll move onto looking elsewhere for the problem.

If IP filtering is enabled we need to check what's being filtered.

dynalink rta1025w ip filtering.png
IP Filtering screen in Dynalink RTA1025W

You'll need to check both outbound and inbound rules. First look down the protocol column to see if there are any entries for UDP. If there are check the entry in the Allow column for it. If it is not allowed you'll need to allow it (click the pencil in Edit column). After allowing UDP you may need to save the modems configuration before the setting will take effect.

Hopefully this will be a "got it on the first try" solution but don't bet on it.

- Tim

datman

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 02:01:15 PM »
Thanks for the info. Tried it, still no luck.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 03:25:15 PM »
Have you called Ring Engineering and talked to Tim Ring about your connection problems?

Even though you are only in the evaluation process, I'm sure he will be happy to help you if possible.

You can call him at: (219) 322-0279, Mon - Fri, 9am to 5pm Central Time
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.