Author Topic: Unexplained Motor Overload?  (Read 1894 times)

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
Unexplained Motor Overload?
« on: February 05, 2018, 03:39:37 PM »
Hey Gang,

I have 3 Bowser C630Ms that I've converted to RailPro, all done the same with a TCS 8 pin connector stretched (I bought them too short), a LM-3S, a bridge rectifier spliced in as per the instructions on RPUG, a KA-4 and a slightly cut-down iPhone 4 speaker. I did remove the plug for the lights in order to mount the speaker, but I made sure that all pins were removed and the associated mounting hole were kept clear.

I did notice when doing the Motor Draw test that one was a little higher than the others and it needed a little more kick to get moving at 5% throttle compared to the others.

Halfway through a heavy op session (6 hours or so) with the trio, the one that had the higher motor draw would occasionally be shoved by the other three, usually in a switching move, with the unit in question travelling in the forward direction.

I also noticed that every now and then the trio would spool up, be at about 30% throttle and just wouldn't move, until you gave them a gentle nudge.

Figuring it might be a dirty wheel issue, once the units came home, I cleaned the fleet with my trusty Kadee Wheel Cleaner.

Two worked happy happy, but this particular unit would keep giving me a "Motor Overload" or a "Motor Overload +" warning at anything over 62% throttle. The only drag on the drive-train was the light pressure of the brush on the Wheel Cleaner required to maintain electrical contact. I did eventually get the wheels cleaned to my satisfaction, but it was a constant battle waiting for the unit to reset every time the Overload warning would trip.

Any thoughts as to what the issue might be or where I should be looking?

Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

Dean

• Conductor
Re: Unexplained Motor Overload?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 03:50:56 PM »
Sounds like something binding in the drive shafts or gearboxes. Maybe something is rubbing on a drive shaft after you put the shell back on?
Dean

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 04:02:12 PM »
I think Dean nailed it.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 04:52:50 PM »
I was thinking the same thing, but figured there might be an issue on the electrical side that I'm not aware of. All these little bits and bobs are all magic boxes to me. As long as you keep the smoke in, they work fine.

Mechanical issues, I can handle! I'll crack her open and see what I can see.

Thanks for the input guys!
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 05:14:35 PM »
I would also agree with Dean on possible binding.

FYI, you don't have to wait for the module to reset after an overload error. Just tip one side of the locomotive off the rail for a second and it will reset.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 06:52:46 PM »
Al, Ian uses keep-alives, so he does have to wait for them to discharge.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 10:15:05 PM »
Yes, I just re-read this. Missed that before. Thanks Bill.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.