Author Topic: Talked to Tim Ring about HC-1 upgrade and LM1 memory...  (Read 2581 times)

bnsf8000

• Fireman
Talked to Tim Ring about HC-1 upgrade and LM1 memory...
« on: February 10, 2018, 06:57:56 PM »
  I called and talked to Tim Ring about the HC-1 upgrade. It still can be upgraded. Hope this is alright to put this on here. The upgrade to a HC-2 is $60 with a slightly used board. I can also upgrade to a HC-2b for $100. Just have to send in my HC-1 for the upgrade. The LM1 is another story. Tim said they have the program written for Ultimate Series files to go on to a LM1. It's telling them that most of it will fit on and LM1! He said most likely the startup/shutdown won't fit. Instead it will probably start at notch 1. Said sound/ditchlights/horn/bell and some others should also fit. The new load feature may not fit as well. Just not enough memory. The motor load feature from before for load sharing will fit. I'm actually going to opt for the HC-2b upgrade. Plus, it will come with a new battery as well being fully up to date. He agreed with some of you that if I ran the battery down to red before recharging I would most likely get a more accurate battery reading. I want to thank each and everyone of you for answering my questions about this. So, for now I will have to wait for the LM1 download for most of the Ultimate Series  to eventually be released. Tim said they are coming along very well with it. They have not literally found out all that will fit on the LM1 I mentioned, but the program is saying most of it will fit. Just not all.

Pat Waltz

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
Re: Talked to Tim Ring about HC-1 upgrade and LM1 memory...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 08:02:32 PM »
What will one gain if they upgrade from an HC-2 to an HC-2B?
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 08:29:22 PM »
B = better.

All joking aside, the HC-2b gets rid of the old charging port and allows charging through the USB.  I believe some of the hardware (processor) might be different.  I think that the amount of memory is unchanged from the HC-2, though I'm not sure about that.

-Kevin

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 08:32:07 PM »
Thanks Kevin. That seems a bit steep for a new charging port. So far my sans B version is working just fine.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 08:59:35 PM »
This is what Ring said when the 2B was released, in addition to the charging port changes:

there have been several internal changes to help our production but the result for customers is not any real difference.  For example, we made several design changes that integrated operations and the net result is significantly lower number of parts in a HC-2b compared to a HC-2. The HC-2b has the exact same amount of program memory and storage memory as the HC-2.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 10:41:37 PM »
Thanks Kevin. That seems a bit steep for a new charging port. So far my sans B version is working just fine.

If you have a HC-2 there is no reason to change to HC-2b.  The HC-2b is all that is in production now due to the upgrades that Bill mentioned.  Both are equally capable.

-Kevin

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 10:54:52 PM »
I think I misread that as the intent was to upgrade an HC-1 to either a -2 or -2B and not a -2 to a -2B.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

bnsf8000

• Fireman
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 07:52:04 AM »
Yes, Jacob I'm old school Railpro using a HC-1! LOL! There isn't much upgrade from HC-2 to a HC-2b. I actually haven't sent it in yet, but probably will upgrade to a -2b anyway.