Author Topic: Setup Difficulties  (Read 3899 times)

emd_16645

• Conductor
    • Somerset Junction, 1980
Setup Difficulties
« on: March 01, 2018, 04:10:57 PM »
Hey guys,

After lurking here for a very long time, I finally purchased my first Railpro components.  In an attempt to keep initial costs down, I got a LS3S and a CI-1.  No HC at this time. 

Thus far, I've tried to install the software onto my computer to get up and running.  This has been a nightmare.  After much fighting, I was able to get the basic railpro assistant software running using the offline installer.  While installed, it will not make a connection to the internet.  I have not been able to get the HC simulator software running.  I disabled the firewall, do not currently have anti-virus on the computer.  I have a cable connection for internet, not a satellite connection which others have had issues with.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Chris
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980
somersetjunction.blogspot.com

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Setup Difficulties
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 04:41:14 PM »
My advice is for you to call Ring Engineering and get Tim Ring to assist you with the connection issues, this way he is aware of your issue and can track what is going on with connectivity.

In more than 1 case, the customers router has been pre-configured to actively block UDP and it must be opened up in the router settings.

- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 07:14:44 PM »
With HC Simulator...

HC Sim doesn't connect to the internet anyway so we can count that part out so:

You have downloaded and installed the offline installer version of HC Simulator as well? If you have when you run it are you seeing any error messages? Be specific about what you see when you try to install it (if your still trying to install it) or when you run it.

With RailPro Assistant...

It sounds like your modem is blocking UDP traffic which Bill mentioned but we'll check a couple of other things as well.

You are 100% positive that your firewall was 100% disabled when you tried to install RPA using Ring's installer?

You are 100% positive that your firewall was 100% disabled when you tried to run RPA after installing it from the offline installer?

You clicked the Setup button on the main RPA screen and tried to enter your email address and a password?

If you answered Yes to all of these then the modem is the likely culprit. Check your modems settings (if your modem was supplied by your ISP you may need to ask them for the modem login username and password) to see if it's blocking UDP on port 80. If your not overly confident of your ability to do this let us know the make and model number of your modem and we can see what we can find out about it. I'd also suggest contacting your ISP and asking them if they block UDP on port 80.

- Tim

PerezBill

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 08:37:37 PM »
Ok, I was reading this did not see if this question was asked. Do you have a wired connection to the Internet or are you running wireless. Second, what version of Windows are you running. If it's a newer version the application may need to be run as administrator to correctly install and run. I have the app on my pc and run it as administrator and it works fine. If you are running Windows 7 or a newer version right click on the app and choose to "Run as administrator" and see if it connects at that point.

-Best
Bill

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 05:27:19 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

Bill B. - I emailed Ring last night.  I haven't gotten a response back yet, probably will get one today during business hours.

Tim - Regarding the HC Simulator, I have not found the offline installer version.  I suspect that would work.  My install attempts have ranged from simply opening the file in downloads to copying the installer to the program files and attempting to run as an administrator.  All result in the same error "cannot connect to ring engineering".

Regarding the RP assistant.  The answer to all three of your questions is Yes.  I suspect my ISP is blocking UDP.  For the record, my internet is provided by Spectrum (Charter).  Not sure if others have had this issue.

Bill P - I am connecting my computer to the internet over a home wifi network.  It is possible that the home network is some how blocking the UDP transfer, and not my ISP.  Unfortunately, my home network is a bit complicated so I need to do some research into if my setup somehow blocks UDP.  For the record, the computer I'm using is running Windows 7, I'm not use which service pack is installed.  I have attempted to run as an administrator without success.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 06:49:34 AM »
Bill B. - I emailed Ring last night.  I haven't gotten a response back yet, probably will get one today during business hours.

Chris - The phone is the best way to get in touch with Ring.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 07:43:46 AM »

Regarding the RP assistant.  The answer to all three of your questions is Yes.  I suspect my ISP is blocking UDP.  For the record, my internet is provided by Spectrum (Charter).  Not sure if others have had this issue.

I too am on Spectrum. No Ring connect issues. If they are blocking UDP for you we know they don't block UDP system-wide.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 07:45:20 AM »

Chris - The phone is the best way to get in touch with Ring.

It was after hours so I tried the email.  If I don't have a response by the time I'm home from work, I'll give Tim a call.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 07:46:15 AM »

I too am on Spectrum. No Ring connect issues. If they are blocking UDP for you we know they don't block UDP system-wide.

Good to know Alan.  It could be the way my home network or my wireless router is configured.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 09:15:09 AM »
Regarding the HC Simulator, I have not found the offline installer version.  I suspect that would work.

The HC Simulator offline installer is in the files section, second item right under the RailPro Assistant offline installer topic: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/board,4.0.html

Since your using WiFi between your computer and your modem you can also try hooking the computer directly into the modem with a network cable. Sometimes that works for people. Otherwise I still suspect the modem configuration is to blame. If you'd like to let us know the make and model number of the modem we can look it up and see if we can find any relevant settings for you to look at.

- Tim

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 10:45:17 AM »
Tim, I plan on trying to direct connect the computer to the network and bypass the wireless when I get home.  I'll report on my findings then.  If I have to plug in to connect to RE, its not a huge deal as the network equipment is in my train workshop.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980