Author Topic: I'm hooked  (Read 3913 times)

Dean

• Conductor
I'm hooked
« on: March 03, 2018, 11:31:17 PM »
I love my RailPro system. I run it alongside my DCC equipment. The one thing that I was not going to do was replace the DCC decoders that are already installed only because of the cost. I have almost 100 engines, most running DCC. Well, that idea went down the tubes. I have converted 3 of my engines to RailPro, throwing the DCC decoders in an old box. And I just ordered more LM-3s to convert more engines.

I'm hooked!
Dean

JasperNey

• Brakeman
Re: I'm hooked
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 10:04:21 AM »
That's awesome, Dean. This is how I feel as well. I'm thrilled with RailPro. Are you planning on converting more engines to RailPro?

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 12:28:54 PM »
I'm retired so I have to budget my railroad money. I'm going to upgrade 3 Atlas Trainmasters from DCC to RailPro. After that, I have two areas of the layout that need serious revamping. First, I don't have room to store my engines or rolling stock, and no place to expand. Second There is a section of layout that I can't reach to add scenery. Kinda like painting yourself into a corner in reverse. I can't reach the corner.
Dean

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 12:57:32 PM »
Dean, I am in a similar situation with storage. My granted train space from the Yardmaster is about full. With 31 locomotives, there is no more room in the engine yards. I have at least 50 freight cars on a three-tiered, rolling shelf from Harbor Freight that slides under the layout, plus a full 11-track passenger yard. In addition, there are always at least one or two complete trains on the layout.
For your reach problem, take a look at this topside creeper stepladder. Maybe it will help yo reach that remote area. It is a bit pricey, but they frequently have sales.
https://www.micromark.com/Topside-Creeper-Step-Ladder-Support-System
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Ken Z

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 02:56:50 PM »
Dean,
Reality is such a drag!  Like you I tried RailPro and really like it.  I then bought a couple LM3S units to add into switchers for my interchange/industrial section, then a couple more for additional switchers but they got put into road units... now I still have the switchers needing decoders and I really need another hand held controller but the Comptroller is suggesting that the railroad budget has been over-extended by RailPro and Monster Modelworks purchases.   Time for some creative financing.

Ken Zieska
Ken Zieska

CampbellRice

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 08:10:10 PM »
Sell those old DCC decoders, they still bring a pretty good penny.

Ken Z

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 01:50:06 PM »
Campbell, I may need an intervention.  I just ordered a second hand held and three more decoders.  My resolve to just change over a couple locomotives and only use RAilPro on my industrial area is not holding up.  But I am fine.  This is it.  I can stop anytime.  Well after these new projects......... 

Have fun folks, that is what it is all about.

Ken Zieska
Ken Zieska

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 04:57:22 PM »
Who needs a 12 step program? You can be on the road to recovery in three easy steps.
  • Admit you have a problem
  • Count locomotives so you know how many more LM3s it will take to solve the problem
  • Buy and install LM3s
You are cured! No intervention needed.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 06:01:27 PM »
 ;D I've tried that. Problem is, I keep getting more locomotives.  ::)

A few fellow club members and I are going through and cataloging the entire train inventory of a member who recently passed away. Hundreds of freight cars and boxes of DCC/sound equipped locomotives in their original boxes. His wife had no idea what to do with it, and that is the real problem with collections. Eventually, someone else will have to dispose of the merchandise.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 06:08:11 PM by nodcc4me »
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.