Author Topic: Creating libraries  (Read 3031 times)

Josephunh

• Fireman
Creating libraries
« on: April 05, 2018, 02:07:38 PM »
Hi all new to the group and you can read my intro under the introduction post.  I am glad to see a community developing around this system and supporting it.  One of the things though I have not seen yet and wondering if members have thought about trying to create here is a library of pictures and sounds users have created that others can use and have access to?  While I love RailPro and have been pushing Tim to release new updated sounds I know he has a lot on his plate.  Some of the limitations are something I see the community doing to help alleviate that.  There are many loco's Tim does not have in his library yet as well as custom horns and sounds others may have.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Creating libraries
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 02:45:28 PM »
There is a section on the forum for user supplied files. https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/board,4.0.html

We are not a large group (yet) and as some have discovered creating sound files is no easy task. The recording needs to be just so and the editing into beginning, loop, and ending can be quite challenging. Hence, the uploaded sound file collection is very small. You are welcome to contribute.

Regarding images, I assume you are referring to loco pics for the HC. With the ubiquity of digital cameras and RailPro Assistant being free of charge, it is a trivial affair to create your own loco pictures. I suspect that is why there are so few uploaded to the site. Bill, our host, has provided a great tool for preparing your pictures: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,194.0.html and a regular contributor, KPack, provided a step-by-step video on loading pictures: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,571.msg4368.html#msg4368
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

Josephunh

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 04:10:05 PM »
Alan nice to see the files section but be nice to try and organize things later if that expands further.  As for pictures that tool that was created is great but lets face it to get proper pictures for icons you need to do a proper setup with lighting and have a good camera.  Things I am not setup to currently do, just be nice if there was an expanded library of user creaked images for engines Tim doesn't have in his library.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 04:30:10 PM »
Lighting I agree with. Camera... um not so much. The HC only accepts such a teeny tiny image that even an ancient 2 mega pixel camera is overkill resolution-wise. At 480px by 180px it is neigh on impossible to see any detail let alone camera, sensor, or lens induced aberrations.

Take photos outside on a sunny day with a draped white bed sheet as a background and they will look stunning on the HC. No fancy equipment needed. This coming from a guy that owns Nikon cameras and way too many lenses.  :-[
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

Carter

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 09:16:42 PM »
Is there a slot on this Group forum to set up a Library? I think this is a great idea and could it include photos of engines already sized for up-loading to the HC? I would be willing to contribute photos to the project.

Carter

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 09:35:45 PM »
Is there a slot on this Group forum to set up a Library?

This is the intention of the files section.

Feel free to create a post for photos in that section, perhaps a new post for each roadname.
If it takes off, I'll separate it out into it's own section for photos, and another for sounds.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.