Author Topic: Problem with upgrades  (Read 2483 times)

Dean

• Conductor
Problem with upgrades
« on: April 30, 2018, 08:04:26 PM »
I downloaded the latest program and accessory files for my LM-3s. I updated the program and accessory files in two engines. Now the HC-2 does not see one of the engines. I tried to 'find new product' and that failed. The engine disappeared. It's no longer listed in the 'Locomotive' index.
I updated the second engine while I waited for the 30 seconds. Now the HC-2 can see this engine and indicates that is connected to it, but none of the commands work. The engine won't run nor will any of the lights work.

Any suggestions?
Dean

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: Problem with upgrades
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 08:11:10 PM »
Is the software for the HC up to date?
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 08:26:45 PM »
Yes, the HC-2 was updated a few weeks ago.
I am thinking of trying the reset button on the HC-2.

What is strange is I have been updating my decoders for a few weeks now. The only difference is that on these two problem decoders, I added the 'accessory' files too.
Dean

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 08:30:52 PM »
Dean, Contact Ring before hitting that reset button.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:25:07 AM by William Brillinger »
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 09:11:41 PM »
I downloaded the latest program and accessory files for my LM-3s. I updated the program and accessory files in two engines.

If you downloaded the Accessory Program to the LM-3S then the LM-3S is no longer a locomotive, it will be an accessory module (like the AM-1). Look in the accessories page to find the missing one. The other one, look at the Module information page to see what's loaded into it (LM-3S rev 2.?? or LM-3S Accessory rev 2.07). At work atm so can't provide any screenshots for you.

- Tim

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 07:34:27 AM »
Now that I'm home, rested and fed I can elaborate a little further.

When you update an LM with the accessory program, the LM ceases to be a Locomotive module and becomes an Accessory module. It will disappear from the locomotive list and appear in the Accessories list. You can then copy accessory projects to it (for instance you could put one in a caboose or passenger car to control the lighting etc). You cannot have both the Locomotive program and the Accessory program loaded into the LM at once; the update screen gives you the choice of which one to load.

If you wish to return the LM to a Locomotive module, you only have to update the LM again with the Locomotive program.  I imagine that if you updated an existing LM that you had setup how you liked that you lost those settings when the accessory program was loaded so you will most likely have to re-setup all your controls again.

Dean , for the LM that is still (from what I gather from your post) in the loco list, compare the HC screen with the screenshots below. if it is indeed loaded with the accessory program but still shows in the loco list then it sounds like the HC is confused to what it actually is. You should still be able to update the LM back to the Locomotive program.

LM Control Screen.
Take note of the text at the top: Control Locomotive or Control Accessory.

LM Control screen diff.png

LM Information screen.
Take note SW number and revision. The text at the top says Locomotive Information for both the Locomotive and Accessory programs for some reason.

LM info screen diff.png

- Tim

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 09:37:47 AM »
Thanks for your help, Tim. I re-programmed both LM-3s back to real LM-3s. But changing an LM-3 into an accessory device ( AM-2 ?? ) gave me an idea.
I only have five switches that are powered on my layout. They are powered by NCE Snap-it controllers. The Snap-its have provisions for pushbuttons too. I connected a normally open contact from a glass relay to the Snap-it pushbutton terminals. The Snap-Its are cycled ( pulsed ) from an AM-1. Now I can control the switches from my NCE Power Pro controller or my HC-2 controller.
I have one other switch in a remote location also powered by a Snap-It. I want to be able to control it from my HC-2. But, it is overkill to use an AM-1 to do the interface. I only need one output. I know the LM-3 has multiple outputs, but it is cheaper than the AM-1.
If the LM-3 doesn't work out, I could always install it in a locomotive.
Dean

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 08:10:02 PM »
Success! On my workbench was an engine with an LM-1 installed waiting for some upgrades. I didn't try to turn the LM-1 into an accessory device, I used it as is. I used the front light output to power a small glass relay. The only thing I did to the LM-1 was change the light button to a momentary contact type. One of the relays normally open contact was connected to the Snap-It's push-button inputs. Works great.
I spent at least 15 minutes opening and closing the switch, alternating between the LM-1 and the NCE controller.   ;D
Dean

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 09:22:27 AM »
No worries Dean.

On your test, good to hear it was successful. I should point out though there is no accessory program for the LM-1, it will always be a locomotive module so if you use it for the turnout just remind yourself not to include it accidentally in a consist; I don't think a turnout fixed to the base board will load share very well  ;) ;)

If you use an LM-2 / LM-3 as an accessory module for the snap-it's you will need to write an accessory program to do so; not very hard but it does require "that" feature enable in RPA to write accessory programs.

- Tim