Author Topic: On the fence  (Read 5549 times)

gzygadlo

• Fireman
On the fence
« on: May 18, 2018, 05:46:20 PM »
I've been working on and off my layout for a bit and now is the time where I need to decide about DC/DCC or RailPro.  I have seen the post for it and against it.  I have watched the videos on the Ring site.  I like how easy it looks to possibly setup, but I'm not too savvy doing the electrical part of model railroading.

My last layout was DC where I used Atlas connectors and just used track nails to put the wire against the rail.  Soldering I have not ever attempted so I a little reluctant to do that and ruin any track. Almost all my engines are DC or DCC ready and I have about 35 of them, and that could get costly to upgrade to DCC or RailPro.

Wondering how some of you made the jump?  I would post this on MRH, but these type of posts usually turn into the DCC vs Railpro battle and I don't want that.

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: On the fence
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 07:41:15 PM »
Speaking for myself, I made the decision to go RailPro because a) it communicates directly with the locomotives instead of a third component i.e. booster; b) it is wireless; c) load sharing.

a) RP is a simpler system from a components count. I like simplicity. Less potential failure points.
b) Relying on digital control signals sent over hundreds of feet of potentially dirty track and then being picked up by also potentially dirty rolling wheels just sounds like a bad idea from the get go. If we were dealing with very high voltages and/or high amperage then maybe okay. But at only 14 volts... no way. Look at all the problems people have with stalling on frogs. Now you want me to also pass the control signals on the same conduit? No thanks.
c) Easily the deciding factor. The load sharing functionality of RailPro is a quantum leap forward from DCC. Even the exotic (and expensive) DCC products like ProtoThrottle can't come close to RP's load sharing functionality. Speed matching every DCC loco to run exactly the same??? C'mon, you'll never get there no matter how much time you spend trying.

PS. don't be afraid of soldering. Honestly, it is so simple once you know what you are doing and getting to know what you are doing comes quickly. Real life example that just happened recently... a friend's hot tub quit working. We tore into it and found a corroded connector plug. We chopped off the plug and took it to my house where I have a supply of the pins used inside the connector. I stripped some wire, fired up the soldering iron, and began making new pin inserts for the connector. My friend, who has never soldered anything in his life, watched and after a bit said "Can I try that?" Sure! Handed him the soldering iron, gave him a few quick instructions, and he was off and running. He finished all the remaining pins. His hot tub is working fine now. If my suit and tie, never has had his hands dirty friend can solder so can you.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 09:16:39 PM »
You can wire your track up with Atlas rail joiners with wires. [ https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/atlas-ho-465-true-track-roadbed-terminal-joiners/ ]
There is nothing to connect to the track except a power supply. Just two wires from the rail joiners listed above.
The RailPro decoder plugs into the same 9 pin connector used in a lot of DCC ready engines. If the engine uses something other than the 9 pin connector, there are plug and play adaptors available. [  http://tcsdcc.com/accessories/harnesses  ]
There is no CV programming with RailPro like there is for DCC. I have had two different brands of DCC controllers and I never did figure out how to do consisting with either of them. I finally gave each engine in the consist the same address. Then I spent over an hour trying to speed match them. With RailPro, select an engine, press the 'Link' button, select the engines you want in the consist, press the 'Done' button. RailPro will do the speed matching automatically, on the fly.
Radio control is extra with DCC. It is standard with RailPro.
DCC controllers take batteries, $$$. The RailPro controller is rechargeable and comes with a charger.
The instruction manuals for some DCC systems seem to be written for EEs or someone with a computer science degree.
I wish I had found RailPro before I bought my present DCC system. ( I was so disgusted with the first DCC system that I threw it in the trash )
If you have a good power supply, all you need to get started with RailPro is the handheld controller and a RailPro decoder.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:26:43 PM by Dean »
Dean

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 09:02:02 AM »
   "Wondering how some of you made the jump?"

Tis an easy decision for me as I never cared about those pesky CV things. After reading and research, I saw the light and it was bright for now I can do everything with a touch of the finger, no ! not that one! Well it was kind of hard to toss a bunch of decoders but the end was well worth it for me. Cheers, TOF in Arid-Zona

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 09:19:59 AM »
This was also an easy decision for me. I belong to a club that operates with DCC. Watching a couple of the more technically savvy members spend hours trying to make CV adjustments with JMRI was not something I was interested in doing. The 7 or 8 locimotives I had at the time were old and not DCC ready, so I had to jump in with hard wiring right away...a good learning experience. After using RP for 6 years with 31 locomotives, I would never go back to DC and I still keep a safe distance away from DCC.  ;D
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

Dean

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 11:37:05 AM »
I have over 60 locomotives. ( I know, I have a problem  :D ) When I went to RailPro the plan was to install RailPro into locomotives that did not have decoders already installed. That plan went out the window. I found that I was only operating the RailPro equipped locomotives. Then I started replacing the DCC decoders with RailPro decoders.

So many locomotives; so little time, and money.
Dean

gzygadlo

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 01:46:46 PM »
Thanks for all the info.

I looked more at RailPro today and the more I like without the programming of DCC and needing a programming track.  Now will come the determination also which engines get it and which ones don't.  I'm a big fan of Providence & Worcester so all of those will get them.  Have always bought mine DC or DCC ready so I didn't have to rip decoders out if I decided on RailPro which I found about a year ago.  You are right if you bug DC and add the decoder later it does come out to about the same.

Just looked at my own inventory and I'm ~40 engines.

TomO

• Fireman
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 03:08:51 PM »
I never had DCC until I retired and went with CVP Easy wireless. I liked it until I was at a show and a gentleman had RailPro and loved it. Watching him consist 2 locomotives was easy and effortless. Sold the house and layout including RailPro. Next house and layout and I was given a Power Cab by NCE and I hated it. Went back to RailPro using DeadRail.

This layout is RailPro battery and I ordered a ESU Cab Control because I also pre ordered the ProtoThrottle by ISE. Something that does not work with RailPro and I do not have or know of anyone with the expertise to have them work together. Yet!

I will tell you there is nothing easier than RailPro, nothing as intuitive or simple as RailPro. The sounds are now as good as some of the ESU Loksound, but sound is an individual taste, your mileage may vary. Why would someone so wishwashy about control systems encourage you to move to RailPro?Because it is as good and easy as everyone says!

TomO
Verona, Wi

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 08:57:07 PM »
 Well now, if anyone is on the fence, there is on eBay a RailPro RPK-1 set with two LM-2s modules and supposedly new old dealer stock. Oh ya ! listed at $250. ..  Surely ought to be worth that or at least a bid?  Easy to find on eBay, search RailPro.  The old fardt in Arid-Zona.  8)

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 12:11:56 AM »
Well now, if anyone is on the fence, there is on eBay a RailPro RPK-1 set with two LM-2s modules and supposedly new old dealer stock. Oh ya ! listed at $250. ..  Surely ought to be worth that or at least a bid?  Easy to find on eBay, search RailPro.  The old fardt in Arid-Zona.  8)

That's well worth it.  Great way to start out with Railpro!  You can get everything you need for a good price.  I'd jump on it but I'm good with controllers and modules.

-Kevin

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 04:49:09 PM »
 As far as the listing on eBay for the starter set with two sound modules, they are history. Ask me how I know?

The old fardt in very Arid-Zona  8)

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 04:52:37 PM »
Someone has a new controller!  Great find on that Darryl.

-Kevin

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 05:38:31 PM »
I received an “item ending” notification and wondered why no one grabbed it. Glad you got it Darryl.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 06:09:48 PM »
Congrats!
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 06:16:30 PM »
 Oh ! By the way, I didn't bid and that is another story but I do have the set plus the two sound modules..  :)

Here is the thing, I am going to push the RP by having the handheld at the club house all the time plus I'll have a RP engine ready to go anytime someone wants to give it a spin.
 A couple of fellows show interest so this might be just the thing?

Now IF only there were modules for N Scale that would most likely suit the N fellows with their small piece of the club room. I'm still trying to cram a module in a N scale Kato RDC. Shave a little here and there but it just might fit?

The old fardt in very Arid-Zona  8)