Author Topic: Can't Connect  (Read 2900 times)

gcarter1945

• Fireman
Can't Connect
« on: May 22, 2018, 03:26:18 PM »
Test Track - Small.jpg

I've built the small test track pictured above.  The particular locomotive shown can be connected to and controlled by the HC Simulator via CI-1, no problem.  Using either of the two HC-2 shown, I cannot find, connect, select, or control the locomotive.  All other locomotives placed on the test track can be controlled by the HC-2.

A bit of background... I could, at one time connect, select, and control this locomotive via either of the two HC-2, but when I tried to reconfigure the buttons on the control display, things weren't working like I wanted them to, so I removed the locomotive via the Remove Product function in the Tools menu.  I hadn't added the locomotive in the HC Sim, so I could find, connect, select, and control this locomotive.  Of course, now this locomotive is no longer on the list of available locomotives, and the HC-2 isn't able to find it.

What have I done wrong, and how do I solve this problem?  Thanks in advance for your help on this problem an retroactively to the other problems you have helped me solve.

Geoff
Too soon old, too late smart
Too soon old, too late smart.

KPack

• Conductor
Re: Can't Connect
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 10:36:20 PM »
Sounds like the locomotive may have a password, whether or not you intentionally added one.  Follow the instructions in the HC manual "resetting a password".  If it works then that was your problem.  If not, we at least know one less thing that it could be.

The instructions are specific, so please be sure to follow them closely.

-Kevin

gcarter1945

• Fireman
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 09:53:17 AM »
Thanks for the input Kevin.

I tried resetting password using both HC-2 and got indications that the password had been successfully changed on the effected unit.  However, when I went to find the unit, I got the message, "No Products Found".

Any other ideas we could try?

Geoff

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 10:13:50 AM »
Geoff, I can’t explain why, but it sounds like that engine is still on the HC2’s, but the picture is gone. Go to “Delete Product “ and see if it come up on the list. If so, just delete it and then try to find it. This has been a problem in the past, but I thought it had been taken care of.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

gcarter1945

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 05:17:42 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Al.

Tried, once again, removing product, and the unit in question is not to be found on the list.  I think this where I first got in trouble, since I removed this unit earlier and all the problems started up as explained in my initial post.

I'm still open for any other ideas.

Thanks,

Geoff

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 05:44:12 PM »
Is there a blank space where the locomotive used to be?  Like an empty area on the locomotive selection screen?  This was a problem that rarely popped up before but should have been fixed in one of the recent updates. If it is still occurring then that is something that Tim needs to know so it can be addressed.

Regardless, a call to Tim might be a good idea at this point because he may have seen the same thing on someone else's controller. 

When you talk to him remind him to get us some new prime mover sounds 😁.

Kevin

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 08:05:44 PM »
If the LM can be reached on another controller, make sure it has the most recent software on it.
Also make sure the HC has the most recent software too.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

gcarter1945

• Fireman
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 01:01:55 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Bill.

Both HC-2b have SW1045, Rev 2.06;
the LM-3S has SW1041, Rev 2.07
The HC-2 Sim has SW1021, Rev 2.02

Latest editions of all software, and the problem persists.

Geoff

gcarter1945

• Fireman
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 03:49:49 PM »
Success at last.

After all of your valiant efforts that still left me without control of my one locomotive, I asked Tim Ring (as suggested) and finally got the answer to my problem.

It seems that somehow I had the unit in question entered on both fo my HC-2 under a different name and picture.  I had to go through my entire library of locomotives to find the offending culprit, but find it, I did.  Once I knew who was to blame, I deleted the offending miscreant and was able to find it under it's real name.

Problem solved and now I'm a happy camper once again.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions you guys offered.  You're the greatest.

Geoff

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 04:02:47 PM »
Glad you got it figured out!  Turns out it was much simpler than we had expected.  But now you have a few more bits of troubleshooting knowledge under your belt in case you run across a similar problem in the future.

-Kevin

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 05:35:47 PM »
That was a new one for all of us. Glad it’s working now.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.