Author Topic: An alternative Keep-Alive possibility  (Read 2048 times)

JeffShultz

• Fireman
An alternative Keep-Alive possibility
« on: May 24, 2018, 05:57:17 PM »
Okay, I know about, and have, wired KA4's into LM-3(S) modules. And it works, although the KA4's are a bit on the bulky side.

However - Has anyone tried one of the new TCS motherboards? http://tcsdcc.com/wowdiesel/motherboards with a 21-pin adapter and an LM-anything? They've got the capacitors built into the motherboard, so there wouldn't be any messing around with that wiring.

I have to admit, I hope Tim has a 21-pin LM-4(S) on the drawing board at least. With these TCS products and a true, low-profile, 21-pin locomotive module, wiring issues would likely drop to nothing. I admit that I dislike having to hardwire decoders into locomotives that were set up with a motherboard in mind - which I have to do with locomotives such as the P2K GP9, since there just isn't enough clearance room above the original motherboard.

I need to open up one of my Genesis GP39-2's (anyone want to buy a 1st Gen Tsunami?) and see how I could get everything to fit with a http://tcsdcc.com/1616.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
Re: An alternative Keep-Alive possibility
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 07:47:24 PM »
Jeff, check out this discussion: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,585.0.html
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 10:57:54 AM »
I have to admit, I hope Tim has a 21-pin LM-4(S) on the drawing board at least.

I hope that too Jeff; there are quite a few that would like to see it. I'd suggest taking that hope to Tim Ring directly and letting him know; I'm not sure he truly knows where the market is heading with decoder plugs. I know adoption of the 21 pin decoder has been slow in the US like it had been here, but here, everything, and I do mean everything since several years ago is released to take a 21 pin decoder. Even re-releases have been getting upgraded boards in them that take 21 pins. I see the same will eventually happen in the US as well;

- Tim

JeffShultz

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 11:50:06 AM »
Bill,

Thanks for that link - it answers all my questions, and even a couple I didn't have.

The most important part being that the keep-alive functionality of the boards will not work with the LM-3(S) as currently configured.

Rats.

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 11:57:08 AM »
Rats.

Right. :(   

I have been considering making custom harness that would handle it though. I wish I had more time to dedicate to it.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.