Author Topic: UDP Test for RailPro - Running tests  (Read 1165 times)

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
UDP Test for RailPro - Running tests
« on: May 31, 2018, 05:15:21 AM »
UDP Test for RailPro

Running tests

The UDP Test tool (available here: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,706.0.html) was primarily designed to be used with guided assistance so the test results could be analysed, and not for self diagnosis. These instructions will allow the user to perform some self diagnosis however these instructions may be of limited use to those who do not know how to interpret the results of the tests.

Before downloading and running the tool you should familiarise yourself with the layout of the tool: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,707.0.html

Firstly, before you turn your firewall off as explained below, visit one of the many websites that give you your IP address, such as www.whatismyip.com. Make note of your IPv4 IP address and note if you have an IPv6 IP address as well.

Important information

The UDP Test tool requires administrator privileges to run some of the tests correctly. The tool automatically requests these privileges on startup. For most users you will be presented with a UAC prompt, similar to the one shown below confirming you wish to allow the tool these privileges. You must allow these privileges for the program to start.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

If the program runs without presenting a UAC prompt check the results area of the tool to confirm that it is running as administrator. If it is not exit the program and start it again by right clicking on the program and selecting Run as Administrator.

The UDP Test tool also requires that your firewall is turned off to run some of the tests. If you do not know what firewall you have on your computer, you can run the test tool and run the System Information test as below. This will tell you what firewall you have active on your computer.

While you have your firewall turned off, do not visit any websites other than the test web page for the tool or open email attachments etc. Basically don't do anything but use the test tool and the test web page.

There is no specific order that you must run the tests in, and you may not even need to run them all. The order that the tests are presented here is generally the order that the tests that would be conducted in a "testing from scratch" scenario.

Testing.
System information test.

The first test you should run is the System Test in the Local Tests section. This will confirm that you have your firewall turned off. If you forgot to turn your firewall off you can turn it off and re-run the test.

This will also test whether port 80 (UDP) on your computer is free or if it is being used by another program. If port 80 (UDP) on your computer is being used by another program, you will need to find out what that program is and stop it so Ring Engineering's software can use the port.
To generate a report of what ports are being used by what processes run the Netstat program by using the Netstat button. Note, running the Netstat program can take up to a minute and possibly longer to complete.

Connection to Ring Engineering.

If port 80 is reported to be free the next test that you should try is connecting to Ring Engineering. The settings for the tool defaulted to the settings needed for this test however make sure the settings are as follows:

Ring Engineering server IP address: 99.110.149.169
Local port: 80
Remote port: 80
Test Ring Engineering Server is selected.

Important

When you tun this test, the test tool will show your IP address in the results like this:

Testing connection to remote IP  99.110.149.169 port 80 from local IP 192.168.0.20 port 80

Your IP address is the from IP Address. If your IP address shown is not an IPv4 address, eg 123.123.123.123 (four groups of digits separated by decimals) but an IPv6 address, eg 2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334 (an IPv6 IP address may not contain as many groups as shown but all the groups are separated by colons) and the connection test fails your computer may not be set up properly to provide an IPv4 address. This would be a very unlikely and rare scenario.

This test will give one of two results.

No Response.
The connection failed, no response was received from Ring Engineering's server.

Response received.
The connection was successful. The UDP test tool received a response from Ring Engineering's server. The response you received should be checked against the string below:

83 74 23 91 01 01 00 00 ae 07 00 52 50 41 73 73 69 73 74 00 01 00

At this point, if you received a response from Ring Engineering's server you are most likely finished. Either your firewall was not allowing the communication to take place between your computer and Ring Engineering, or/and you did not run the Ring Engineering software installers as Administrator.

Try running the Ring Engineering software installers as administrator. When you download any of the installers, save them to a location you can find them easily, such as your desktop. Then, to run the installers as administrator, right click on the installer and select Run as Administrator. When you download them, do not let your browser run the installer, it will not run them with the correct privileges.

If running the installers as administrator did not work you will need to check your firewall settings. These are some guides on the RailPro User group for some select firewalls. It is not possible to test each firewall and write a guide for it. If a guide for your firewall is not available and you need help please ask.

If you did not receive a response from Ring Engineering's server, Continue on...

Webpage test
If a connection to Ring Engineering is not successful, the webpage test can be used to identify if:
  • Your router or your ISP is blocking traffic on port 80.
  • your internet connection utilises NAT444 (also known as Carrier Grade NAT and Large Scale NAT).

The webpage test allows you to mimic the connection between your computer and Ring Engineering's server using a different server and ports. The test runs four times using a combination of different local and remote ports.

In the test tool confirm the following settings:
rptools server IP address: 74.119.0.135
Test rptools server is selected.

In your web browser, go to rptools.pdc.ca/udptest.php , or just click the Open Test Page button in Connection Test to have the test tool open the page in the browser for you.

The web page will show your IP address and the local port your browser used to request the webpage. Check that the webpage reports your IPv4 address with a green tick.

The Debug checkbox will force all responses the webpage receives from the test tool to be returned on port 80 regardless of the port that the test tool said to return data to. This is a debug feature for testing NAT444 and you should not check this box this unless you have been requested to.

Run the test by clicking the Start button on the web page. The web page will start listening for a connection from the test tool and will listen for 20 seconds before giving up and the page needing to be reloaded. Then return to the the test tool. Ensure that "Test rptools server" is selected and click the Test button for the Connection test.

The test runs 4 times using a combination of different local and remote ports. If the page receives the test connections, it will display what the test tool sent it. The test webpage should receive all 4 test connections and would be shown as below.

The first two tests are sent from local port 80.
The second two tests are sent from a local port of the computers choosing.

The test tool should receive communication back from the webpage and would be shown as below.

To interpret whether port blocking or NAT444 is in place on your internet connection you need to compare the ports the test tool sent from and the ports the webpage received on. The following matrix list the known possible combinations.

Traceroute.
If you don't get a response on local port 80 from the connection test to Ring Engineering's server, you can run a trace to see the path from your computer to Ring Engineering's server. This will establish whether Ring Engineering's server is reachable.

The traceroute test may also be used to help determine if your internet connections utilises NAT444.

Note: The results from the Traceroute test alone are not enough to determine if NAT444 is being utilised but rather will give you an indication if further investigation is needed.

The settings for the tool defaulted to the settings needed for this test however make sure the settings are as follows:

Ring Engineering server IP address: 99.110.149.169
Local port: 80
Remote port: 80

Additionally, the following settings for the trace can be changed in the Traceroute tab in the settings area if needed (Please see the description for these settings in the Getting to know the UDP Test tool post. https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php/topic,707.0.html):

Hops
Packet Size
Timeout
Use Ping for Traceroute

Important

The traceroute test may not actually complete to Ring Engineering's server, however in this case it can be a case of close enough is good enough. If the trace can complete to the server before Ring Engineering's server then for all intensive purposes you can reach Ring Engineering's server. This is covered below.

There are several possible results displayed by this test.

Good results
  • The trace successfully traces to Ring Engineering's server. The tool will stop the trace automatically if Ring Engineering's server if reached.
  • The trace traces as far as the server before Ring Engineering's server. The current server before Ring Engineering's server, as displayed by the trace is:

108-235-16-78.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net (108.235.16.78)

The trace will not stop automatically if this is as far as it can trace.

Bad results
  • The trace completes without any results being displayed or every hop including the first hop is request timed out.

Reason: Your firewall is still turned on and blocking the test from working.
  • The first hop gives a result but every subsequent hop is request timed out.

Reason: Your router is blocking the test from working. Try running the test again by letting the computer choose it's own local port.
  • The trace finishes but without finding Ring Engineering's server or the server before Ring Engineering's server and there is a big block of request timed out hops that run to the last hop.

Reason: A server on the internet is not routing the packets from your computer to Ring Engineering. Try running the test again by letting the computer choose it's own local port.
  • The trace finishes without finding either Ring Engineering's server or the server before Ring Engineering's server and there is not a block of request timed out hops that run to the last hop.

Reason: It is likely that there were not enough hops to get all the way to Ring Enginering's server. Although the default value should be more than enough you can increase the number of hops.

If the trace could not run but letting the computer choose it's own local port allowed the test to run then either your router or your Internet service Provider is blocking inbound UDP traffic on port 80, or NAT444 is being utlised for your internet connection. To check for NAT444 see below. To check for port blocking you will need to check your router settings, and if they are not blocking inbound UDP traffic on port 80 you may need to contact your Internet Service Provider.

To check the traceroute result for evidence of NAT444 you will need to look at the first few hops and compare the IP addresses. This is based on a typical home environment where there is only one router in the home.

The first hop would be your router and will have a private IP address in one of the following ranges:

10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 to192.168.255.255

The second hop is a router at your ISP. If your internet connection does not utilise NAT444 the IP address will likely be a publicly routable IP address. If the IP address of the second hop is in one of the private ranges above or in the range of 100.64.0.0 to 100.127.255.255 then your internet connection may be utilising NAT444.

UPnP Search.
If UPnP is enabled in your router the UPnP Search should be able to identify it and retrieve the WAN IP address for you internet connection. The WAN IP address given to you by your Internet Service Provider may be publicly routable or private (when NAT444 is being utilised).  Checking the WAN IP address is the only 100% correct method to determine if your internet connection utilises NAT444.

If UPnP is not enabled in your router the search will not find anything. The only way to be able to retrieve the WAN IP address will then be to log into your router (see your routers documentation) and search for it.

Lastly, if any of this makes you doubt your capabilities in getting this right, please ask for assistance.

- Tim
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 10:28:36 PM by G8B4Life »

Alan

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: UDP Test for RailPro - Running tests
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 09:27:54 AM »
Excellent documentation Tim. Ring really needs to hire you to write their user guide.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

faithie999

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 01:40:47 PM »
i must be a slow learner. I see the attachment icon next to this thread, but I can't find a link anywhere to download the udp test tool.

thanks

ken

faithie999

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 05:29:02 PM »
never mind!!  I found the udp test tool in the files area.  a rookie mistake.

so--why is there an attachment icon (paper clip) on a message in a thread when there is no attachment?

thanks

ken

Alan

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 06:07:31 PM »
never mind!!  I found the udp test tool in the files area.  a rookie mistake.

so--why is there an attachment icon (paper clip) on a message in a thread when there is no attachment?

thanks

ken

PDC has a lot of spare paper clips?  ;D

Good question. Maybe originally had an attachment and was removed during a subsequent edit?

Tim, in addition to the attachment in the Files section, you might consider attaching the file here and on the other UDP test thread as well just to make it easier for everyone.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 07:45:30 PM »

Weeeeeeell, there actually is an attachment in the post (the single image is an attachment according to the forum software). I don't recall choosing the attachment icon when I made the post but to save any further "rookies" from making the same mistake I've changed the icon to the standard icon, and also put a link to the files area post containing the tool at the top of the guide (I thought I did that in the original post).

I am updating the tool at the moment to make testing and navigating the tool a whole lot easier.

- Tim

faithie999

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 06:53:17 AM »
Tim--subsequent rookies thank you for putting the link in the first sentence of the post!!

ken

emd_16645

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Somerset Junction, 1980
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 10:58:19 AM »
So I've been playing with my connections again, and once again are having problems.  I've run the tool, and the results point towards my ISP using NAT444.  What is not clear here, is if my ISP uses NAT444 is, is there a solution to bypass this, or is there not a fix?
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980
somersetjunction.blogspot.com

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 04:48:10 AM »
So I've been playing with my connections again, and once again are having problems.  I've run the tool, and the results point towards my ISP using NAT444.

What indications do you get from the tool that point's you towards your ISP using NAT444? I'm not trying to be rude but just making an observation, no one ever posts the results of the tests they run. I don't doubt that you've correctly identified what's going on but without knowing the results you got we can't say for certain that's what it is.

What is not clear here, is if my ISP uses NAT444 is, is there a solution to bypass this, or is there not a fix?

Perhaps you've read this thread? Difficulty with instillation. If not it paints a sad picture that there is no solution to NAT444 until Ring fixes his software and server, except perhaps to have RPA on a laptop and use a McDonald's or Starbucks or whatever free Wi-Fi and hope that it works on that. Ring is apparently now aware that he needs to fix his software and server though why it should take more than a few days is beyond me.

- Tim

emd_16645

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Somerset Junction, 1980
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 07:56:05 PM »
So I've been playing with my connections again, and once again are having problems.  I've run the tool, and the results point towards my ISP using NAT444.

What indications do you get from the tool that point's you towards your ISP using NAT444? I'm not trying to be rude but just making an observation, no one ever posts the results of the tests they run. I don't doubt that you've correctly identified what's going on but without knowing the results you got we can't say for certain that's what it is.

What is not clear here, is if my ISP uses NAT444 is, is there a solution to bypass this, or is there not a fix?

Perhaps you've read this thread? Difficulty with instillation. If not it paints a sad picture that there is no solution to NAT444 until Ring fixes his software and server, except perhaps to have RPA on a laptop and use a McDonald's or Starbucks or whatever free Wi-Fi and hope that it works on that. Ring is apparently now aware that he needs to fix his software and server though why it should take more than a few days is beyond me.

- Tim

Tim, No offence taken.  I based the assessment off of the chart you created above.  For the first and second tests, I do not get the expected return port values.  I have the data on my laptop at home, I'll try to  forward it to you when I get home from work.

I'm gonna have to have a conversation with Ring about this.  The biggest issue with RP is this connection crap.  How anyone can push a product that you have to leave your house and seek out an useable connection is beyond me.  It borders on insanity.  This is a great product, but some of the little stuff like this just irritates the hell out of me.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980
somersetjunction.blogspot.com

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 05:35:45 AM »
Chris,

I'd be very interested in seeing the results.

I'm gonna have to have a conversation with Ring about this.

Please do, The more people he knows have the CGNAT (NAT444) issue the better.

some of the little stuff like this just irritates the hell out of me

If your only irritated your doing better than I am  :(