Author Topic: Older Bachman Not DCC Ready Steam Locomotives  (Read 2225 times)

drisdon

• Engineer
Older Bachman Not DCC Ready Steam Locomotives
« on: June 26, 2018, 11:50:40 PM »
I found a very affordable older Bachman 2-6-0 ($30) for my son which I was hoping to install Railpro into, but when it comes to steam I'm pretty clueless.  It appears the locomotive only picks up power in the 3 drivers which makes me think it may not run very reliably.  The frame is in halves and isolated with some plastic spacers, I cannot figure out how or where I would add the wiring for the motor and the driver contacts. The Railpro module and speaker would definitely get located inside the tender, but  is it worth spending the time installing Railpro in this older locomotive or should I just find a DCC ready one, like the Spectrum 2-8-0?

Thanks,
Dan Risdon

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Older Bachman Not DCC Ready Steam Locomotives
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 07:39:02 AM »
If the motor is isolated from the frame is there any reason why you cannot connect the LM right at the motor leads?
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

MtRR75

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 08:38:05 AM »
While you are installing RailPro, it would be a good idea to add electrical pick-ups to the tender.  The redundancy will give you a much smoother running locomotive.  You may have to change out the tender wheel sets with ones that pick up on one side and are insulated on the other side.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 10:08:42 AM »
I feel your pain Dan.  I'm trying to install Railpro in a very old brass steamer....it's a nightmare.  I have a feeling that the pickup will be very spotty on it as well, but I'm not sure how to overcome that in a brass locomotive.

Carter

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 05:23:21 AM »
NEW $70.00
HO-Gauge - Bachmann - Pennsylvania Alco 2-6-0 Steam Locomotive (DCC Ready)

EBAY: lisbesthobby

drisdon

• Engineer
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 06:42:56 PM »
I found a Bachman Spectrum 2-8-0 which is DCC ready which I'm planning to install Railpro into. Obviously the iPhone 4s speaker would easily fit but there's more room for a larger speaker in it, so plan to do a 28mm round one. Anyways, when I hardwire the module in do I need to put a resistor in line with the headlight?

I believe my son will love this...being able to hear the sounds, shoot I might even like steam.
Thanks,

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 07:00:22 PM »
If the existing wiring has a resistor in the headlamp circuit then retain that resistor in your wiring. If there is no resistor and the headlight is an incandescent bulb then no resistor required. If the headlight is a LED then a resistor is required. 1k ohm 1/4W is a popular value.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro