Author Topic: Easy install Proto RDC  (Read 2240 times)

darryl.trains

• Conductor
Easy install Proto RDC
« on: June 28, 2018, 12:10:01 AM »
I thought about doing an install on the two HO Proto 1000 RDC's that I have in my stash. I'm telling you a blind person could do the install of RailPro module and a cell speaker. Lots of room and it takes only a few minutes after removing the shell, couplers plus four easy to get at screws. You have to make four cuts in the printed circuit board and solder the wires to the marked numbers, instructions at TCS website for the RDC. I did take extra time by replacing the Kadee bronze spring thing and installed a Whisker Kadee coupler. Oh the joy of RP..  The old fardt in Arid-Zona. :) 8)

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
Re: Easy install Proto RDC
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 05:32:26 AM »
I  have done three of them, Darryl. They are fairly easy, but the module and speaker have to be placed way up in the roof or they can be seen through the windows.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 01:47:11 PM »

Al. You are right about the module being seen but my layout is near 42 inches high and I can't see inside the RDC anyway. I'm 6ft 2 so my vision is limited on these horizontally. Now if my layout was much higher in height I would put the module and the speaker in the roof unit as there is enough rom for them I believe?
So you done three of these? I might add another one or two as I find them rather interesting to run.

Well now, cheers y'all..  TOF in the heat of the desert, Yuma.  8)

CPRail

• Conductor
  • You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 04:37:45 PM »
What are files are you guys using for prime mover sounds for this install?
Ian Lisakowski
Modelling CP Rail & VIA in the early 80's

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 08:57:37 PM »
After watching a couple videos of running RDC’s, I am using the standard diesel sound file.
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 11:22:09 PM »
 I suppose I'll have to use standard diesel sound for now. I'll have to look into what is available later on as I am just converting the RDC's to RP use for now. I now have started to use only sound modules and a few left over plain modules will go into these just too tight no room engines. Not interested in carving and filing.

I'm also looking at putting marker lights in the front and rear of the RDCs or the other way round.   Hmmm

I'm in luck as there are many RDC LL PROTO 1000nds on eBay so I'll see if I can snag a few more.

Did I mention I tried to install a module in an Athrean RDC. Well I did but never again as the hi-fi rubber band drive has just much oomph for me.

TOF in well you know ! 8) 8)

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 08:18:45 PM »
 Something new for me as I just found out that Walthers RDC has a DCC board with a socket so it is DCC ready or in our case, RailPro ready. So I have the older versions pre Walthers. Well the RDC was easy to hardwire to the board so I wasn't upset about not knowing the difference.

I hope this might help anyone one interested in doing a RDC using RP module.

Gee it gets funner all the time.

TOF

darryl.trains

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 01:45:53 PM »
 Here we go again.  After purchasing some RDC's, I found my stash of LM-3S had been less than I thought. I either have to quit buying engines or get more modules.  Too bad my short hoard of LM-3 can't be converted to sound or could they? Oh well, guess I have to get a hold of the resident dealer and pick up 3 or 4 LM-3S. I'll have to get a wiring harness as I misplaced one for the 6 pin sound side of my remaining module.

See y'all TOF  8)