Author Topic: Low voltage  (Read 1871 times)

jjwdadof4

• Fireman
Low voltage
« on: July 15, 2018, 05:49:32 PM »
If I'm getting a low voltage message does that mean I need to add more leads to get better power around the track? I'm only running two locks

Thanks
Josh
Thanks
Josh

Just having fun

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: Low voltage
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 06:03:12 PM »
If you don't get the warning when the loco is at the spot where you have the leads now and you do get the warning when the loco is furthest away from the leads then yes, adding more feeders will solve the problem. You could also solder the rail joiners or bump up the power supply by a volt or so if you have that option.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 06:13:38 PM »
You'll also get the low-voltage warning if you have spotty power connection.  If your loco wheels or track are dirty then that message will pop up.  Cleaning both will typically solve the problem.

-Kevin

jjwdadof4

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 06:46:13 PM »
Ok thank you both for the reply back I will do both add a couple more leads and clean the track and wheels
Thanks
Josh

Just having fun

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 06:53:46 AM »
Also if you are using the Full Bridge Rectifier with a Keep Alive you will see the occasional under voltage warning. As stated, more feeders will generally help.
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 08:26:32 PM »
I noticed when using LM-2S/2 and the bridge rectifier there was lots of low voltage alerts because of the voltage drop. The LM3/3S is much more suited to using a keep alive as there's no voltage drop to the module. Occasionally I still see it when the train has lots of power up front, but it never affects performance and is normally gone within a few seconds.