Author Topic: Loco stoping  (Read 4347 times)

KPack

• Conductor
Re: Loco stoping
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 05:37:50 PM »
Josh - he's saying that you shouldn't solder separate sections of rail together because all that metal will expand at a different rate than the benchwork and cause kinks.  Either use the joint connectors without solder, or don't use them at all.  Solder feeder wires directly to each individual section of rail and not joiners.  Electrical contact will be much improved with this method, and you will have left some room for expansion and contraction of the rails.

-Kevin

jjwdadof4

• Fireman
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 08:35:53 PM »
Kevin- now I understand the feeders I have now are the atlas power track so that isn't enough? I will look into soldering the track and not the jointers and see what happens thank you
Thanks
Josh

Just having fun

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 10:08:52 PM »
Kevin- now I understand the feeders I have now are the atlas power track so that isn't enough? I will look into soldering the track and not the jointers and see what happens thank you

Put a locomotive on the rails and set it in motion. On the HC note the voltage reading when the loco is on or near the Atlas power connector. When the loco gets to the opposite side of the layout note the voltage on the HC again. If there is more than 1 volt difference between the two readings then you need to run wires from the Atlas power connector to the rails on the far side of the layout. If there is less than 1 volt difference don't bother adding wires or soldering joiners, the problem is elsewhere.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

jjwdadof4

• Fireman
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 06:59:06 AM »
Alen- I will give that a try when I get back home thank you
Thanks
Josh

Just having fun