Author Topic: Railpro updates  (Read 4035 times)

KPack

• Conductor
Railpro updates
« on: October 04, 2018, 08:45:23 PM »
I've had several email conversations with Tim recently and wanted to keep the group informed of things I've learned.

I asked some specific questions regarding DCC mode and potential for interfacing with JMRI.  Here's a few things I learned:
-Railpro DCC-mode does NOT use CV's
-Because it uses no CV's it does not currently work with JMRI
-The plan currently is to have users set up DCC mode on Railpro with the CI-1 and HC-Sim.  Easy to do and it works.  It does require you getting a CI-1, which seriously....why would you not?
-It is possible to add CV's to Railpro's software so that it may work with JMRI, but would take time to implement and would be going backwards
-Ring eventually wants to add a few CV's that respond to ops mode changes on the main

I mentioned a few things that could be done to improve the existing ULT prime mover files, specifically:
-Adjust the compressor pumping sound on the GE 7FDL-16 modern (the whoop is correct, the pump sounds different than what I'm used to).  Ring said the whole pump recording was taken from a 7FDL-16.  Different locomotives sound different.
-Adjust the compressor sound for the 645 Roots ULT.  I may be wrong on this but I believe the compressor for an older EMD is slower knocking.  Not sure if that applies to all units.
-Adjust the 4th and 5th notch of the GEVO-12 ULT to be more like the beta (beta had better and more accurate sounds for these two notches)
-Increase the volume for the K5HL-R2 ULT horn file.

Ring is willing to revisit these areas if needed, but feels that it is more important to get more ULT sound files out first.  I agree with him.  These issues I mentioned are minor issues that can be addressed later.  It is more important to increase the number of sounds first, then we can adjust things if needed.  I don't know for sure what sounds are coming next, besides the GEVO-T4.  The 645 Roots came out of left field, so I'm not sure what else he has right now.

The 2.08 update (now 2.09) for the LM-3S allows the use of the new ULT horns.  They play exceptionally well and are recorded from prototypes.  Originally Ring was not sure when 2.09 would be available for the LM-2S.  He made it sound like it might be awhile.  But a couple days later he made a beta for it that I'm testing now.  With any luck the new update should be available for the LM-2S soon.

-Kevin

emd_16645

• Conductor
    • Somerset Junction, 1980
Re: Railpro updates
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 09:57:45 PM »
Any discussion regarding Railpro in DCC mode consisting on NCE systems?  I’m not sure that issue has been addressed.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980
somersetjunction.blogspot.com

BruceRogers

• Engineer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 01:57:55 PM »
Some of the prime mover sounds Tim has on file are Alco 12-251 engine with electric start. EMD 12-645E3 (SD39), 7FDL-16 post 1980 (GE Dash 7 but pre Dash 8) and the Tier 4 GEVO engine. I really want to get an Alco 16-244 engine.
 He also has a number of different spitter and other sounds I've sent him, i.e., 48 inch single dynamic brake fan for a GP38 or F9.
 The CN also uses a oil-less compressor from NYAB on their latest GEVOs. I wonder if the compressor shouldn't be an individual sound that could be downloaded rather than Ring including it in a prime mover file.

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 03:48:49 PM »
I wonder if the compressor shouldn't be an individual sound that could be downloaded rather than Ring including it in a prime mover file.

I forgot to mention this in my earlier post, but I did bring it up to Tim.  I personally would like to see the compressor and all air blasts as customer-selected files...i.e. have let's say 5 available slots for each prime mover file.  User loads what sounds they want on to there, and selects what compressor to use.  I would particularly like adding my own air blast sounds.

The problem with this idea is that it would involve a major change in the software.  I'm sure it's possible, but with everything else that Tim is trying to get done right now I'm sure it's not a priority.  I tend to be very detail-oriented and look for things to improve accuracy and realism, whereas the majority of Railpro users may be more interested in the overall package (running, wider variety of sounds, etc).  I totally understand, and can't argue with Tim wanting to get the rest of the new sounds out as quickly as possible.

He did say that he's looking at adjusting the logic for how often the compressor and air sounds play.  Right now it is a little too regular and predictable.  I would love to have the ability to adjust that myself (set a min-max time for automatic play, and let it play randomly within that range), but again that would involve a major software change.  Not in the cards right now.

-Kevin

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 12:07:22 AM »
Why would he want to add more DCC CV capability?

Has anyone supplied an EMD 567 ULT file yet?

Kevin, any big picture stuff that's being worked on that can be shared?

Thanks.
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 12:40:41 AM »
The only reason he would want to add more DCC capability is to appease the DCC crowd who may use the modules as DCC decoders.  But seriously, once DCC users try Railpro in its fullest they won't end up using them with DCC. 

All I know is what I've shared here.  I'm not sure what else Tim has cooking right now, but I'm sure he's got some stuff in the works.  No idea what though.

-Kevin

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 08:38:58 AM »

Interoperability with DCC is the biggest push back from folks with investment in DCC. The whole "proprietary system" argument. The more DCC functionality Ring adds the more that argument is deflated. I would guess "sales" is the reason to add CVs. So long as it doesn't come at the expense of native RP functionality then what's the harm?
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 10:36:36 AM »

Interoperability with DCC is the biggest push back from folks with investment in DCC. The whole "proprietary system" argument. The more DCC functionality Ring adds the more that argument is deflated. I would guess "sales" is the reason to add CVs. So long as it doesn't come at the expense of native RP functionality then what's the harm?

I don't see any harm in general but I do to me specifically. As my LM-2S' seem to keep edging closer to obsolescence with their limited capacity it would be great if Tim offered a non-DCC compatible OS that would free up space for sounds and other functions. I will never, ever need the DCC side of RP and would rather have those 01001001010's free for other uses.

But, in the big model RR picutre I can see where it makes sense to expand the ring, pun intended, to rope in more users.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 10:51:05 AM »
I get that. My entire fleet is LM2. I don't do sound so it isn't much of a concern on my equipment but I also understand I am in the minority. I can see how it is a potential disadvantage for sound users with LM2s such as yourself.

Wouldn't it be cool if LMs had a microSD card slot?  ;D
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 10:58:53 AM »
Tim always seems to worry if new features will work on the LM-2S, but so far I have never run out of space.  I just tested the 2.09 update on the LM-2S and it works great and has all the functionality that the LM-3S does.  The locomotives I installed it on have the following installed, with more room to spare:
-custom picture file
-all necessary lighting effects
-ULT prime mover
-custom dynamic brake
-bell
-sanding
-custom traction motor sound
-custom brake release sound
-ULT horn file

More than enough for what I need.  The above are my road locomotives by the way.  Switchers and local power have all the coupler and handbrake sounds as well.

The LM-2S is my main workhorse and will continue to be so indefinitely.

-Kevin

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 11:04:37 AM »
The idea plays a little into Kevin's al la carte idea of selecting the files and capability that you want. But, realistically I'll probably eventually install the -2's into some switchers and upgrade the road units once the capacity requirements are ironed out a bit more. I don't know the used/available ratio in a -3 but if he keeps adding code there may have to be a -4 for the additional lines.

A microSD slot would be ideal and would have negated a lot of issues.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 11:05:26 AM »
Tim always seems to worry if new features will work on the LM-2S, but so far I have never run out of space.  I just tested the 2.09 update on the LM-2S and it works great and has all the functionality that the LM-3S does.  The locomotives I installed it on have the following installed, with more room to spare:
-custom picture file
-all necessary lighting effects
-ULT prime mover
-custom dynamic brake
-bell
-sanding
-custom traction motor sound
-custom brake release sound
-ULT horn file

More than enough for what I need.  The above are my road locomotives by the way.  Switchers and local power have all the coupler and handbrake sounds as well.

The LM-2S is my main workhorse and will continue to be so indefinitely.

-Kevin

You posted while I was typing. Glad to hear my -2's still have some life in them!
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

nodcc4me

• Conductor
  • RailPro Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 12:59:11 PM »
Most of my modules are LM2s’s and a dozen 1’s. I have a few 3s’s as well. Last year, Tim mentioned  a possible trade-up program for the LM1’s. I wonder what happened to that?
Al

Run your train, not your brain. Get RailPro. It's a no-brainer.

MtRR75

• Conductor
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2018, 10:39:53 AM »
Any hope on the horizon for more steam loco sounds?

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2018, 11:43:24 AM »
Two new ULT steam whistle files, and many more older style whistle sounds that have been added in the past few months. It wouldn't surprise me if he is working on some new or revamped steam files now.