Author Topic: Beyond Frustrated with Railpro  (Read 16720 times)

emd_16645

• Conductor
    • Somerset Junction, 1980
Beyond Frustrated with Railpro
« on: October 07, 2018, 11:20:35 AM »
I need to vent a little here.  I am getting absolutely fed up with the software side of RP.  Don't get me wrong, I love running with RP, the control setup is fantastic.  Its the computer stuff that is driving me up the wall.

When it comes to downloading software, be it basic applications like RP Assistant or HC Sim, or just sounds or photos, using Railpro has been nothing but hell for me.  As we went through  before, just simply setting up RPA and HC Sim was a six month ordeal.  I briefly got it functioning, got some sounds downloaded, and things were looking good.  Now HC Sim has completely tanked on me, first it would not connect to allow downloads from RPA.  Now its not recognizing the CI-1.  Since I have not purchased a HC-2, I'm completely dead in the water with Railpro.

I'm getting to the point where I dump my modest investment into RP and suck up dealing with DCC. The headaches with that aren't as bad as RP lately.  I know I need to call Ring and have a conversation with him, but I am to frustrated right now to have a decent talk.

Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980
somersetjunction.blogspot.com

KPack

• Conductor
Re: Beyond Frustrated with Railpro
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 11:55:54 AM »
It sounds like your HC-Sim program somehow got corrupted. The first step is to talk to Ring, and likely he will recommend that you fully delete the HC software and do a fresh install. 

To do this you will need to delete the HC simulator folder found inside the Ring Engineering folder, on your hard drive.  You will also need to delete a hidden file, and the procedure for that depends on what version of Windows you are running.

Give us a little more information and remind us what the problem was with getting HC Sim working in the first place.  Let's see what we can do to help.

Frustration is totally understandable. But I'm sure we can figure this out and get everything working smoothly. Tim Ring will likely have some good suggestions as well. Either way I'm sure that you can fix this issue.

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 12:25:50 PM »
My issues generally stem from the UDP reliance of RP. Since my internet is now provided through my cell phone, It doesn’t play well.

I’m using a Windows 10 computer, which apparently doesn’t play well. Could have had an update go through that killed HC sum.

I’m sure this can be worked through, it’s just frustrating.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 01:42:34 PM »
My issues generally stem from the UDP reliance of RP. Since my internet is now provided through my cell phone, It doesn’t play well.

I’m using a Windows 10 computer, which apparently doesn’t play well. Could have had an update go through that killed HC sum.

I’m sure this can be worked through, it’s just frustrating.

I know this doesn't help your situation and will be of little comfort, so just more as a so-you-are-aware response.

I too use Windows 10. Enterprise on one machine, Pro on another, and Home on yet another. Immaterial reasons why the differences. I can say with surety, at least in my case, RP works on all of them and no Windows updates to date have broken anything. The Enterprise machine has an extensive group policy arrangement yet RP still works. The Pro machine (my workhorse) has a tremendous amount of 3rd party software installed as well as many connected USB devices - printers, drives, scanner, drawing tablet, camera, etc. The Home machine is pretty basic with no external devices other than monitor.

My point is RP is known to work in varied Windows 10 environments. Unless you have some way out in left field Windows configuration I highly doubt Windows 10 or the updates is the reason for your troubles.

Let's talk about the Internet via cell phone shall we. I often create web apps for the clients of the company for which I work. Some of the apps are rather communication intensive relying on a lot of back and forth between the device and the server (AJAX). Guess where the vast majority of my complaint calls originate. You guessed it, people using cell phones to connect a computer to the Internet. They are usually in a meeting room at a hotel or some similar situation where they can't connect their laptop directly to wi-fi or a network. On the face of it everything should work yet I know from experience it often does not. Adding to their frustration is the fact that the web app may work fine on the phone in the instance but not on the connected computer. So in that regard I have a lot of empathy for Ring.

My experience with cellphone Internet connections for computers has shown them to be sporadic, problematic, and difficult to troubleshoot even when UDP is not in the picture.

Again, I know none of this helps you directly and yes, RP needs to step up their game with the software IMO. I say all this only so you know a) Windows 10 is likely not the problem; b) computer connectivity via cellphone often causes problems for more than just RP.

Keep the faith, brother.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 03:18:29 PM »
Thanks for the input Alan. There really isn’t anything special setup wise for my computer. Realistically I don’t even use it that much.

Regarding the cell phone internet. I really don’t expect it to work on the cell phone network, I don’t even try. Right now, besides RP it’s covering my needs without the substantial added cost of a home network. So financially a cable or dialup connection isn’t in the cards.  However, I do expect everything to function properly when I take my computer elsewhere and connect via WiFi. Unfortunately this doesn’t allow me to control network settings or such, but that really shouldn’t be a requirement.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 04:57:10 PM »
If you take a computer somewhere that has a wifi network available, there is a good chance that the network is set up so that won't let you download through RPA.  That shouldn't affect the HC-Sim though.  That should connect to RPA whether or not you are connected to the internet, and it should connect to the CI-1 regardless of internet access.  So if the HC-Sim is not connecting to either one then it sounds like a HC-Sim problem, and not an internet problem.  Unless you meant to say RPA was the problem?

I'm also running Windows 10 and RPA/Hc-Sim work fine.  Before the latest HC-Sim was released my laptop would not recognize my CI-1 due some software I have installed for work purposes.  It all works fine now.

Out of curiosity what version of RPA/HC-Sim are you running?

-Kevin

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 06:51:38 PM »
A random thought...

You don't happen to use one of those dastardly "Registry Cleaners" or "PC Tune Up" software do you? They are often bundled with anti-virus software and usually (almost always) cause more problems than they cure.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 06:15:20 AM »
Yes, I’m aware that other connection points can be locked down. However two locations I’ve tried and his week I’ve successfully used in the past. Obviously something could have changed.

I wiped the Railpro folders earlier this week and reinstalled from rings site. It appears the RPA has been working 100% fine. It states it’s connected to internet and everything is accessible (sounds, etc). The problem is when updating files to the HC it refuses to connect.

Alan, no I haven’t downloaded any such files. I’m aware of the problems they cause. I really don’t use the computer often, just for Railpro and occasionally Train Simulator run.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 06:48:58 AM »
Let me work through this so I know exactly where we're at.

You wiped the RailPro folders. There are folders in C:\ProgramData\ and C:\Program Files\ for both RPA and HC Sim. Did you wipe all the folders?

You downloaded and reinstalled RPA and HC Sim from Rings site. What version do they report as being?

When both RPA and HC Sim are running, does RPA report that USB is connected?

HC Sim can not see the CI-1 correct?

- Tim

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 08:25:26 AM »
Let me work through this so I know exactly where we're at.

You wiped the RailPro folders. There are folders in C:\ProgramData\ and C:\Program Files\ for both RPA and HC Sim. Did you wipe all the folders?

You downloaded and reinstalled RPA and HC Sim from Rings site. What version do they report as being?

When both RPA and HC Sim are running, does RPA report that USB is connected?

HC Sim can not see the CI-1 correct?

- Tim

I wiped the program files, did not wipe the data.

RPA is reporting version 3.21, HC Sim software SW1021 1.31.

RPA indicates USB connection, HC sim does not.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 08:38:49 AM »
Your HC-Sim is way out of date.  It should be 2.05, not 1.31.  That right there may be part of the problem.

The other part may be that the data files need to be erased as well in order to do a clean install.  You'll have to enable hidden folders on your C drive to get to it, then go in there and delete the folders inside Ring Engineering. 

*****If you want to keep any of your downloaded files in RPA you must copy and paste the "Railpro Assistant Storage" somewhere else.  Once you reinstall you can drag and drop that file back in and all your old sounds files will show up in RPA.

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 08:45:06 AM »
I’ve removed the HC sim files from both program files and data. I will try reloading from Ring tomorrow when I have WiFi access. If that doesn’t solve my issues I will do the same for RPA. I don’t have any custom files so I’m not concerned about the data files. I can just redownload.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 08:52:27 AM »
If you would like one of us to send you the program install files I'm sure we could.  That way you wouldn't have to wait for Wifi access.  Just a thought.

I would still backup your Railpro Assistant Storage file.  The files can indeed be redownloaded, but when you are downloading prime mover files it takes quite a while.  If you already have some of those downloaded now, there is no need to have to do it again.

-Kevin

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 05:51:05 AM »
HC Sim software SW1021 1.31.

That is a mystery. 1.31 is not the version that I had previously provided for you to download with the offline installer way back in March.

We need to get you on to HC Sim version 2.05. All previous versions have a bug that can prevent HC Sim from detecting the CI-1 (there's probably a good story there about solving that bug if I could be bothered writing it). If you can not get it installed from Rings site let us know and we'll get it to you.

It sounds like RPA is functioning correctly, it indicates USB connected when HC Sim is running and indicates the internet is connected and you can browse the available files and 3.21 is the latest version. I'd suggest not deleting RPA, the problem is not with it.

Once your on to HC Sim 2.05 and if you still can not download then we'll work on that.

*****If you want to keep any of your downloaded files in RPA you must copy and paste the "Railpro Assistant Storage" somewhere else.  Once you reinstall you can drag and drop that file back in and all your old sounds files will show up in RPA.

Just a fair warning for everyone, it's not quite as simple as that. The storage file contains all the screens and buttons that RPA uses, along with any files you download. If there's has been any changes to any screens or buttons in RPA and you copy the "backed up" storage file over the new storage file you will loose the changes and possibly cause RPA to function incorrectly, if at all. The same goes for HC Sim and it's storage file as well.

- Tim

emd_16645

• Conductor
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 06:36:48 AM »
HC Sim software SW1021 1.31.

That is a mystery. 1.31 is not the version that I had previously provided for you to download with the offline installer way back in March.

We need to get you on to HC Sim version 2.05. All previous versions have a bug that can prevent HC Sim from detecting the CI-1 (there's probably a good story there about solving that bug if I could be bothered writing it). If you can not get it installed from Rings site let us know and we'll get it to you.

It sounds like RPA is functioning correctly, it indicates USB connected when HC Sim is running and indicates the internet is connected and you can browse the available files and 3.21 is the latest version. I'd suggest not deleting RPA, the problem is not with it.

Once your on to HC Sim 2.05 and if you still can not download then we'll work on that.

- Tim

That follows my line of thinking.  I will have wifi access this afternoon and we will see how it goes. I'll PM you for the offline installer if I have no luck.
Chris Bellows
Somerset Junction, 1980