Author Topic: Second HC Club  (Read 2743 times)

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
Second HC Club
« on: October 16, 2018, 01:35:17 PM »
A DCC buddy of mine purchased an estate sale with an HC-2 and 2 LM-2S. He knew I was a RP user and made me an offer I couldn't pass up. It's an old HC-2 with SW 1.04 and HW 1.00 but I'm working on getting it updated.

I still don't like the 'is this thing charging' status on these. I wish Tim would fix this.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 01:38:09 PM by TwinStar »
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

TwinStar

• Conductor
Re: Second HC Club
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 10:52:14 PM »
As a followup to this my 'old' HC-2 has hardware version 1.01 and my 'new' HC-2 has hardware version 1.00. I emailed Tim asking what the difference was and if it's significant. I'll report back in anyone here doesn't already have the answer.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 07:20:32 AM »
Welcome to the "two  HC club" Jacob  ;)

If the batteries in the "new" HC-2 have been flat for a long time they might be cactus and need replacing. I'm not overly familiar with the technology in those batteries (NiMH) but as a general rule the quickest way to destroy a rechargeable battery is to leave it discharged for a long time.

- Tim

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 08:24:36 AM »
Tim:

So far the battery has been OK. However, it did sit too long uncharged and with the old software had to have a hard reset. This may not affect anyone else but if there's an odd one out there with the original software. Per Ring's instructions:

You might have a HC with the original software.  If that is the case you will need to do the following.

The reset button needs to be held in for up to an hour.  The way to accomplish this is like in the picture below.  You can cut off a toothpick to the length in the picture below and insert it in the reset hole.  Then gently press the handheld down until you hear or feel the reset button move.  It moves very little about 1/32 of an inch.  Please do not press too hard because you can damage the reset button.  Then leave the HC charging for an hour then remove the tooth pick (charger still plugged in).  The screen should light up and say charging.  It will not fully charge from a rest.  So after you use it a few minutes you will need to charge it again. After that it should be working as usual.  After it is charging and running a long time on a charge, then update the software to prevent this from happening in the future even if the batteries become very depleted. 
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 06:40:36 PM »
Per Tim the 1.00 to 1.01 hardware difference was something about a plug on a connector that did something between two things. It was a negligible difference with the user seeing nothing different.

I am putting my 'new' HC-2 to good use. I don't run a lot of trains right now as I'm focused on building and I still need an additional 2 dozen or so LM-3S's. I have offered the use of my second HC-2 to friends who are on the fence with the stipulation that I will buy any LM-3S's off of them if they decided to go back to DCC. So, I have a few friends who will get to try RailPro for only the cost of the LM's with a guaranteed money back. Bill, as always I've pointed them to you. 

We'll see if we get any new converts.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

KPack

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 10:55:56 PM »
No better way to showcase than by hands-on.  I have two HC-2's, though I don't use the second as much.  I do use it to have people mess with Railpro whenever the opportunity arises.