Author Topic: HC-2b weird behavior on revsion 2.08  (Read 2116 times)

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
  • I'll think of a catchy tag line one day
HC-2b weird behavior on revsion 2.08
« on: October 25, 2018, 09:42:40 PM »
Ok, this is a strange one. I completed the HC-2b rev 2.08 update a few days ago and all appeared to go smoothly without any hitches. Now my HC is displaying weird behavior. This is some of what I'm seeing.

Sometimes (not all the time) when initially turned on and the startup screen is pressed, the HC will:

• Automatically go to the Locomotive select screen.
  • Automatically select the first locomotive in the list.
  • When that LM can not be found (as it's not powered) the cannot connect screen displays.

The Exit button on the cannot connect screen does not respond and the On/Off button has to be pressed to return to the main screen. The HC will then repeat ad infinitium the the above scenario. None of the other main screen buttons respond while this looping is happening though it is possible to if I'm quick when the Locomotive select screen is displayed the second/third time around to press a LM that is powered and the HC will connect to it and show the control locomotive screen for it but the HC constantly changes direction, and I mean every couple of seconds.

The other times, the HC turns on properly and functions as normal except when using a selected locomotive, the HC will still change the direction randomly; not every couple of seconds but maybe after a few function button presses.

Anyone else seen the behavior? I did accidentally drop the HC but that was only about 1ft onto carpet so I don't think anything should be damaged.

- Tim

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
Re: HC-2b weird behavior on revsion 2.08
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 08:17:05 AM »
May be time for a default reset.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 09:27:33 AM »
Possibly, but I'd like to see if I can find out why it does this.

To throw some more possible red herring's into the mix these are the other things I noticed:

• When the HC rebooted after the upgrade finished, I noticed the charging screen showed a couple of times, even though it was a standard USB cable attached to it, not a charging cable.
  • A lot of the time when it started "normally" the selected LM started in reverse. It doesn't seem to do this as much now.
  • The battery indicator hasn't gone down since the upgrade. Maybe I haven't used it enough yet but it was several days ago now since the upgrade.

Edit: forgot to add that occasionally the HC will go to 0.1% speed without the knob being turned at all.

- Tim
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 09:32:54 AM by G8B4Life »

Alan

• Conductor
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 09:32:47 AM »
Ah, the yearn for open source, eh Tim? You are a detective forbidden from visiting the crime scene.
Alan

LK&O Railroad website

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

William Brillinger

• Dispatcher (Admin)
  • Conductor
    • Precision Design Co.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 10:00:48 AM »
Have you reported this to Ring?
- Bill Brillinger, RPUG Admin

Modeling the BNML in HO Scale, owner of Precision Design Co., and RailPro Dealer.

G8B4Life

• Signalman (Global Mod)
  • Conductor
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 10:12:10 AM »
Ah, the yearn for open source, eh Tim? You are a detective forbidden from visiting the crime scene.

Tell me about it! Open source would be brilliant, though I certainly understand why it isn't. It does make playing detective that much harder but if you can solve something by actually pinpointing the cause of the error and proving it the feeling it just that much sweeter.

Have you reported this to Ring?

Not yet. Still experimenting with the issue and (you know the saga Bill) I'm concerned he'll just ignore me anyway. I'm pretty sure he's still angry.

- Tim