Author Topic: Another Competitor  (Read 3185 times)

TwinStar

• Conductor
  • Modeling a 1961 Rock Island Twin Star Rocket
Another Competitor
« on: January 01, 2019, 12:21:49 PM »
Another alternative to DCC has emerged:

https://www.wifimodelrailroad.com/
Jacob Damron
Modeling late 1950's Dallas Union Terminal in Free-mo+ modules

Texas Railway Modeling and Historical Society trmhs.org
trmhs.org

atsfguy

• Conductor
Re: Another Competitor
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 01:08:06 PM »
Happy New Year, Twinstar.
I read some about this system just yesterday but it didn’t look like a very serious competitor, if one looks deeply into each. Its main attraction, I think, will be the use of a tablet or smart phone as the throttle.
I think Railpro’s biggest problem is that Ring does not advertise enough. Once someone understands its capabilities, it should be a no-brainer. There should be little to cause one to think about another system.
I had looked into an English system that is somewhat similiar but once I read the capabilities on Ring’s website and read the comments on this site, I was sold on Railpro.
Cecil

Cecil
ATSF

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 01:16:26 PM »
Cecil:

Happy New Year! I don't disagree with you and see the capabilities of LocoFi as somewhat limited. Right now there is no consisting, the modules are big, the sounds are generic, and the prices are high. I do read that they're working on smaller hardware and a dedicated throttle. The limited sound issue is one that plagued, and continues to plague, RailPro for quite some time. Note to Ring: Can we please get a decent 567 sound file this year.

While I don't see this as an on par competitor to RailPro I do see it has another chink in the DCC armor. While I don't like to operate anything with my phone there is a large market for this type of application. If someone is considering dropping a few hundred bucks on any DCC system or this then this looks halfway decent.

I long for the day that modern layouts supply fixed voltage DC power and we each bring what we want for direct cab control.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org

drisdon

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 02:08:43 PM »
Thanks for sharing this new "competition" it sounded intriguing until I got to the part about using a cell phone or tablet as the controller.  I have never understood or liked having to slide or tap the screen to control speed, this is one reason I like the Railpro controller.  Also, no multiple unit control, who will this appeal to?  Trolley and Steam loco enthusiasts?  Ah, back to the days of using dummy locos?  Cash for decoders is an interesting concept though, Bill do you want to start offering a crap, I mean DCC, buyback program?

Dan R.

DRLOCO

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 05:50:21 PM »
I think the appeal of using cellphone touch screens as controllers is the relative availability of tablet style phones and their inexpensiveness.
The RP controller is expensive (And rightfully so, I've no issue with the cost as it is), but almost everyone has a cellphone, and those that do likely have outdated ones laying around not doing anything.  I know myself, I've got 2 old iPhones sitting around here not being used. That "repurposing" of an old iPhone as a controller for my RP system would be  a great thing, because I could add operators to my small layout--right now there's just one controller.  Yes, I understand they wouldn't be as easily used as the RP controller, that's not the point-But it'd be nice to have a second or third controller for the trains with minimal expense while I work towards expanding my RP control system.
I mean, RP has the CI-1 interface, and that in theory turns you computer into a controller as well, I'd think they would be able to make something like that happen.
I say the "in theory" part above because I'm using mac's and the old old Dell laptop that got retired at work needs to be upgraded to even use with the RP ci-1 interface system.

Professional Locomotive Engineer and train nerd with most social skills.

MtRR75

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 07:57:38 PM »
I say the "in theory" part above because I'm using mac's and the old old Dell laptop that got retired at work needs to be upgraded to even use with the RP ci-1 interface system.

The last time that I checked, Ring Engineering does not support Macs.

DRLOCO

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 09:14:49 AM »
I was aware of the non-support of mac's and that's fine.  I have an ancient dell that I'm trying to revive with an operating system that will support the RP system. I think I just need to wipe and start over, but I"m not the most tech savvy guy when it comes to PC's...(or mac's, for that matter!)
Professional Locomotive Engineer and train nerd with most social skills.

faithie999

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 06:44:57 PM »
im a diehard Mac guy, but I have to credit Microsoft with building operating systems that run on ancient computers. I rebuild old computers and give them away.  I buy legit windows 10 licenses on eBay for about $5 and do a clean install of windows 10 (you can download windows 10 from MS and burn an installer).  give it a try.

TwinStar

• Conductor
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 06:54:37 AM »
I'm a Mac guy as well and just installed a new SSHD to extend the life of my mid 2012 MacBook Pro. My affinity for iOS is a different story though.

I wish RailPro Assistant worked with Mac as well. I've been waiting on that for quite some time and think I'll be waiting forever. I need a PC to operate my LogBook program and SignalSuite that will run the interlockers and signals on my module so I'm not 100% bent out of shape over the issue. Given the choice I'd elect for a good EMD567 sound profile over OS capability though. I opted not to partition my drive or install Parallels this go around so I haven't been able to anything until I get a PC. I may have to look at rebuilding an old one though. I really hate to drop $300-600 for a new all-in-one just to run three programs.
Jacob Damron

trmhs.org